KimchiDVD - SteelBook Retailer Chat Thread

logo.gif

Feel free to discuss shipping, customer service, availability, etc about this retailer here.

List of Kimchidvd.com Exclusives HERE

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q) What is the link to Kimchidvd?
A)Welcome to KIMCHI DVD
Q) I haven't mastered Korean yet - how can I read the site?!
A) Install Google translate on your browser:

Google Chrome HERE
Firefox HERE

Q) How do I register?
A) Turn on Google translate >> Login >> click on "If members to join ..." >> fill in EVERY box >>
click on this box to ensure your member ID is available:
rsz_button.jpg
>> Sign up!

You don't need to use Google Translate to register, provided you use the English registration link.
You need to enter both a Celluar phone (mobile) and Telephone number when registering/placing an order, however they can both be the same number (I don't have a home phone number, so always use my mobile number).
Numbers should be entered without a proceeding 0 and you do not need to enter your country code (KimchiDVD add it automatically to your parcel label).

So a UK phone (01452 123123) is specified like this:
Local Area Code : 1452 Phone Number : 123123

A UK mobile (07847 123123) is specified like this:
Local Area Code : 7847 Phone Number : 123123

If you have already registered, afterlogging in you can update your address/phone numbers here.

Q) Do they ship outside of Korea?
A) Yes, worldwide delivery, various shipping options available, for example to UK: (1 x steelbook)

K-Packet is tracked and one Steelbook to UK (with a weight of 450g - which is the typical weight for a lenticular) costs $10.81.
On average it takes around 7 days after dispatch to arrive in the UK - I always use K-Packet when placing orders and my orders have always arrived safely.

I'm not sure if it's insured or not (there's no mention) but assuming you pay via PayPal, their guarantee will cover you if you don't receive your order for some reason.

You can track your K-Packet order using this website, however tracking information isn't always accurate after leaving Korea (e.g. sometimes it doesn't update again before it's delivered, or even after if your postman doesn't bother getting a signature).

EMS $21.80 (Tracked, replacement will be issued where possible if lost)
TNT Premium $37.80 (Tracked, replacement will be issued where possible if lost)

Q) What form of packing do they use?
A) Cardboard Box, with enough bubblewrap to keep things safe, see below: (Thanks to SBC28 for pics)

A pretty sturdy box, which seemingly took some damage during shipping.
(These are pretty much always the same boxes.)
kimchipackaging01.jpg

Enough space for the item to "breathe", but snug enough to stop it from moving.
(That white thing is the invoice, which i choose to include, since i am in the USA.)
kimchipackaging02.jpg

6 layers of bubble wrap.
kimchipackaging03.jpg

Another shot of the bubble wrap, one sheet (4 layers) removed.
kimchipackaging04.jpg

One minty mint SB, all the way from Korea.

Q) Is the retailer custom's friendly? (i.e will they mark as gift, or low value).
A) Very friendly, you have various options to choose from:
rsz_customs-kimchi.jpg

Q) Will the retailer charges upon order or upon shipment
A) You will be charged upon order

Q) What payment do they accept?
A) Card or Paypal

Q) Customer Services any good?
A) Yes - overall a very good, reliable site to order from.

Cancellations: Send an email to [email protected], including the number of the order you wish to cancel. He'll get back to you as soon as he can.

Replacements: are issued if in stock, if not a refund will be offered.
Refunds: They are normally processed within a few days.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the item has not been confiscated by the customs office merely as lost, so they told me (with a letter)
And thats the case, I´ve informed the retailer (Tony) but nothing. Since April.
I know that probably it takes time to received an answer from the customs but he could at least let me know about.
It´s nothing personal but what kind of a behavior is that? This is the first time I have such a issue with an retailer, In addition , I have now to deal with Zavvi about a refund. Man, what a waste of time.....
I really hope I get leastwise my money back from Kimchi. :(:(

Do you know what can I do in this case???
Hi Manqu
I sent you a Private Message in regard to this

Thanks
Paul

When your order from a retailer and if a item is lost in the post or damaged while in transit its the retailer who is responsible for replacement or a refund

A customer does not have to make a claim with Customs unless it has been confiscated by customs and after been released from customs its clear that the damage has happened due to customs opening the parcel and them who damage the goods inside and they clearly state they damaged your goods and also have sent you confirmation by letter they received your goods and reasons why it was confiscated and how to get your goods released

If it just normal customs inspection and not an item that was confiscated but released to your local postal service and your item is not delivered its the retailer you deal with

If item received damage and was not caused by customs handling its the retailer who is responsible

Your sale of contact is with the retailer/persons who your ordered from and who took payment from you

No retailer or private seller can deny your rights under the sales of goods act and distance selling rules
Any item you order and pay for if its not delivered its the responsibility of the seller to provide a replacement or a refund
A retailer/seller cannot refuse to provide you with a refund or replacement and blame a postal service for non delivery

It's academic now, given the latest post from @Manqu Qhapaq, since German Customs clearly operate to a different set of rules than does HMRC in the UK.

Notwithstanding the Distance Selling Regulations, now superseded in the UK by the Consumer Contracts Regulations, Criminal Law takes precedence over Consumer Law. Hence, a package sent from overseas, upon reaching the UK, can be lawfully intercepted by Customs or the Police for examination, or even seizure if it is suspected that a customs or criminal offence has been committed. Once in the care or custody of Customs or the Police, then that agency assumes responsibility for its safekeeping and becomes liable should the item be lost or damaged.

I spent 28 years of my life in Law Enforcement, so speak with some authority on this subject.

Item CRG5600 of the HMRC Complaints & Remedy Guidance Manual states,

"When HMRC is responsible for damage or loss of property and goods in the course of an examination or investigation, we will reimburse the cost of repair or replacement provided they are not subject to seizure."

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/crgmanual/crg5600.htm

It will be seen from the above that this liability covers both loss and damage, and also applies to routine examination.

Identical rules and regulations apply to all other law enforcement agencies in the UK.

I'm surprised that the German authorities don't have similar rules, unless they're merely trying to avoid admitting liability. It would certainly make it easier to obtain restitution than trying to bring Kimchi to book.

Reactions: paulboland
It's academic now, given the latest post from @Manqu Qhapaq, since German Customs clearly operate to a different set of rules than does HMRC in the UK.

Notwithstanding the Distance Selling Regulations, now superseded in the UK by the Consumer Contracts Regulations, Criminal Law takes precedence over Consumer Law. Hence, a package sent from overseas, upon reaching the UK, can be lawfully intercepted by Customs or the Police for examination, or even seizure if it is suspected that a customs or criminal offence has been committed. Once in the care or custody of Customs or the Police, then that agency assumes responsibility for its safekeeping and becomes liable should the item be lost or damaged.

I spent 28 years of my life in Law Enforcement, so speak with some authority on this subject.

"When HMRC is responsible for damage or loss of property and goods in the course of an examination or investigation, we will reimburse the cost of repair or replacement provided they are not subject to seizure."

It will be seen from the above that this liability covers both loss and damage, and also applies to routine examination.

Identical rules and regulations apply to all other law enforcement agencies in the UK.

I'm surprised that the German authorities don't have similar rules, unless they're merely trying to avoid admitting liability. It would certainly make it easier to obtain restitution than trying to bring Kimchi to book.

That's correct if customs damaged the goods during examination or lost a parcel while in their possession

If a item in a parcel arrived already damaged to customs its not their liability but the seller who sent the goods already damaged or was damaged during transit before it arrived to customs

Customs are only liable if they caused any damage when in their possession or loose the parcel while its still in possession at Customs

If German customs released the parcel to the local postal service in Germany and it was then after this the parcel has become lost
If tracking shows released from customs and then scanned by local postal service its no longer in the possession of customs but the local postal service provider

Yes if customs has not released parcel to the local postal service then German customs would be liable for loss of the parcel as it was not released from customs and lost while in their possession and any claim would be to the value that's marked on the customs label
If it was marked at a lower value than actual cost of the goods

If the parcel was lost while in possession of the local German postal service after leaving customs
Kimchi would need to put a claim in with its local postal service and this is not something a customer has to do

I'm sure tony will get this sorted but it takes time to start a trace on a parcel especially if parcel scan shows it left customs

Hi guys!
I would need to ask you some question about the Kimchidvd service... I would really appreciate if someone could answer :)

First, do they e-mail customers as they ship the items?
For those international customers who already bought items from them: how long does the shipping usually take? I'm from Italy and really afraid it will take ages!

Sorry but it's the first time I buy from this site... thanks in advance to those who will be so kind to answer :)

Hi guys!
I would need to ask you some question about the Kimchidvd service... I would really appreciate if someone could answer :)

For those international customers who already bought items from them: how long does the shipping usually take? I'm from Italy and really afraid it will take ages!

Sorry but it's the first time I buy from this site... thanks in advance to those who will be so kind to answer :)
Yes, they send an e-mail when they ship your order.
Around 2 weeks to France so it may be quite the same to Italy.

The last time I ordered was on July 8th, went into customs on 14th, then few days after arrived to post office.
Hi guys!

Here's examples of my latest Kimchidvd orders to Finland.

Order date july 7th, picked from post office july 16th, total 10 days
Order date, may 29th, picked from post office june 8th. total 11 days

Their packages have been super safe with lots of bubblewrapping.

• Informative
Reactions: sgmarine and harry
Is anyone else having problems getting hold of Tony? I've emailed him twice over the last week and he hasn't responded regarding my 'Red Sonja' order. I've used '[email protected]' and '[email protected]'. It's been almost a month since it was dispatched (6th July). There's no tracking info, and hasn't been since it was posted. Should I be concerned? Ordered before with no problems and Tony has always responded to emails etc.

Is anyone else having problems getting hold of Tony? I've emailed him twice over the last week and he hasn't responded regarding my 'Red Sonja' order. I've used '[email protected]' and '[email protected]'. It's been almost a month since it was dispatched (6th July). There's no tracking info, and hasn't been since it was posted. Should I be concerned? Ordered before with no problems and Tony has always responded to emails etc.
If you go to "My Account" at KimchiDVD store, don't you see a tracking number in the rightmost column ("Tracking") of your order?

If there is a tracking number, just click on it and a pop-up window should open displaying the Korea Post tracking entries.

You could also try the same tracking code, e.g., at aftership.com

Reactions: Reinforced Hero
If you go to "My Account" at KimchiDVD store, don't you see a tracking number in the rightmost column ("Tracking") of your order?

If there is a tracking number, just click on it and a pop-up window should open displaying the Korea Post tracking entries.

You could also try the same tracking code, e.g., at aftership.com
When I click on that tracking no, a window comes up and says 'There is no data found'. Then it says 'Please input inquiry no'. I manually input the no and it says 'There is no data found' again! I've even tried phoning Pantos UK, and the tracking no and my address don't even show up on their system. Really bizarre! Also tried that link - no luck there either, just says 'Please try again later, we are awaiting for tracking info from carrier.'

When I click on that tracking no, a window comes up and says 'There is no data found'. Then it says 'Please input inquiry no'. I manually input the no and it says 'There is no data found' again! I've even tried phoning Pantos UK, and the tracking no and my address don't even show up on their system. Really bizarre! Also tried that link - no luck there either, just says 'Please try again later, we are awaiting for tracking info from carrier.'
Ah, you are from the UK. Yes, Pantos tracking is probably completely different. No luck at www.epantos.com then, either?

Reactions: Reinforced Hero
Does anyone know how much custom charges would be on two steelbooks that were marked as Merchandise $25.99?

I have two steels awaiting custom charging :(

Hello Sir @augustus I have translated the letter that I have received from the German Post AG. And at the end of the day, all of this is just garbage, but nevertheless.......

Dear Sir or Madam,

Our investigations have shown that the above-mentioned item gone missing in the area of DPAG.

In accordance with the Universal Postal Convention, compensation of EUR 34,00 is payable when registered items go missing. The party entitled to compensation is always the sender vis-à-vis the postal company of origin.

Compensation can only be paid to the recipient if the sender has not received compensation from the postal company of origin, if there are no grounds for the exclusion of liability and if the sender has assigned his or her right to compensation to the recipient in writing. As such, our total indemnity for registered items is limited to the maximum of 30 SDR pursuant to the Universal Postal Convention. Any additional insurance which the sender has taken out with the postal company of origin cannot be assigned. These claims can only be enforced in the country or origin.

We would like to take this opportunity to ask the sender once again to file a complaint with the postal company of origin, requesting that the latter launch a renewed inquiry.

We sincerely regret that we are unable to deliver your postal item as envisaged. We hope we will be able to count you among our satisfied customers in future.

Yours sincerely

XX

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much custom charges would be on two steelbooks that were marked as Merchandise $25.99?

I have two steels awaiting custom charging :(

Assuming the package(s) arrived in the UK on or after the 1st August, 2015 then the official HMRC exchange rate for that month is (GBP) £1 = (USD) $1.5634. Therefore, $25.99 = £16.62 (£1.62 over the threshold of £15). Import VAT (20%) will be levied on the total amount including any shipping charges, if shown separately on the Customs Declaration. If $25.99 is the total amount declared then the amount of Import VAT to be paid by you is £3.32.

To this will be added a handling charge, levied by the carrier for paying HMRC the amount owed by you. If your package(s) was sent by Korea Post, it will be Royal Mail and their charge is £8 per item. If your package(s) was sent by EMS, it will be Parcelforce and their charge is £13.50 per item.

So, depending on the carrier, your total fees to be paid will be either £11.32 per item (Royal Mail) or £16.82 per item (Parcelforce).

You should also be aware that HMRC do have the authority to estimate shipping charges, where these are not shown separately, which could result in a larger amount due in respect of Import VAT.

Reactions: Bigmac