La La Land (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 7) [Hong Kong]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: December 29, 2017
Purchase links: Lenti Slip - Full Slip - Special Box - One Click (Pre-order November 17, 2017 at 8 PM HKT, GMT+8)
Price: $48.99 (Lenti - Full Slip) - $54.99 (Special Box) - $152.97 (One Click)
Notes: Region A
Print Run is 2000 units for both Domestic and International. Limited to 2 Copies per Customer for each edition and 1 for One Click.
Full Slip: 200 Units
Lenti Slip: 300 Units
Special Box: 300 Units
One Click: 400 Sets (Includes all editions, Matching Numbers)
HDN Group Buy: Live at 2 PM tomorrow (Friday 3 November at 2 PM CST, Central time/US)

23130495_1558761787567257_3067312473449576367_n.jpg 23031709_1558761694233933_6758941504530821347_n.jpg 23031348_1558759534234149_375165741784518586_n.jpg

Last edited:
Considering at how the studio gave manta such a difficult time to get the final product approved, a year in the making for this Premium Edition of La La Land.
I am sure in hands it will be quite lovely :drool:

• Thanks
Reactions: dchamp444
Oppo is overrated. I had mine for the 30 day trial and sent it back and got the Panny 900. It works better than the oppo.

I think you might have been referring to the issues with the initial firmware releases (which are more of annoyances than issues). Oppo UDP 203 is definitely better than the Panasonic DMP UB-900.
1) Better build quality
2) Support for Dolby Vision
3) Better Upscaling (try popping in a non animated DVD for which a bluray doesnt exist).
4)Better details and color gradiation

Both are good players and YMMV but it is not overrated by any means. I own both the BDP-103D and the UDP-203 and wouldnt think of any other player (under $1000 MSRP).

One thing with OPPO players is that they release frequent firmware updates, fixing issues that can be fixed with software / firmware and even adding new capabilities long after the initial release. And I've never come across hardware design problems with OPPO players :thumbs: (except the clunky remote with BDP-93)

With their unmatched build quality (even compared to players costing five times more), dedication, and commitment to support their products, I don't think I'll even seriously consider other UHD player brands if I ever decide to upgrade to a 4K UHD kit (seems unlikely at the moment) :LOL:

• Thanks
Reactions: Actarus and Aniv
Scientific comparison here from professional TV calibrator Vincent Teoh

The major USP for OPPO 203 is the support for Dolby Vision. I have the step down UB700 which I bought for just 130. It does a solid job with playing without any issues.

You do realize the comparison was made with the second beta firmware and things have changed A LOT since?? :)

Is professional TV Calibrator a title now? Why is a Professional testing on a FALD panel vs a OLED panel?

Jiminy_Cricket_2.gif

Reactions: Actarus
You do realize the comparison was made with the second beta firmware and things have changed A LOT since?? :)

Is professional TV Calibrator a title now? Why is a Professional testing on a FALD panel vs a OLED panel?

View attachment 344552

It has improved but don't question his credibility. He is one of the most respected professional calibrators in the UK.

FALD V OLED are comparable (ex. Sony ZD9 V LG C7 / Sony A1). Of course, nothing can touch OLED when it comes to blacks but the OLEDs are still lagging when it comes to HDR peak brightness due to ABL implemented in their circuity. This has been a major turn off for many including myself. So I am waiting to see if CES 2018 brings something new and exciting.

It has improved but don't question his credibility. He is one of the most respected professional calibrators in the UK.

FALD V OLED are comparable (ex. Sony ZD9 V LG C7 / Sony A1). Of course, nothing can touch OLED when it comes to blacks but the OLEDs are still lagging when it comes to HDR peak brightness due to ABL implemented in their circuity. This has been a major turn off for many including myself. So I am waiting to see if CES 2018 brings something new and exciting.

I am so confused :blackeye:

So regarding what he is referring to in regards to oled TV from lacking color smoothness by adding the shawdow part of the ''PAN'' scene, will that be fixed by next year on Oled Tvs and with the Oppo which I assume maybe a different version next year ?

So HDR to HDR conversion(OPPO) versus Hi Dinamic Range level (UB900) thank can be changed is what makes the Oled create the shawdow part instead of going from'' black to colors'' without any transition ?

I think you might have been referring to the issues with the initial firmware releases (which are more of annoyances than issues). Oppo UDP 203 is definitely better than the Panasonic DMP UB-900.
1) Better build quality
2) Support for Dolby Vision
3) Better Upscaling (try popping in a non animated DVD for which a bluray doesnt exist).
4)Better details and color gradiation

Both are good players and YMMV but it is not overrated by any means. I own both the BDP-103D and the UDP-203 and wouldnt think of any other player (under $1000 MSRP).

It has issues with a Red Push with the JVC projectors. Every single person on who had one told me to get rid of it as fast as I can and it does work better for my setup. Not all setups are created equally. Go to AVSFORUMS and you will see.
My projector doesn't support Dolby Vision anyway so it makes no difference. I also only have a 5.1 audio setup as well so what I have works great for me. Not everyone needs an oppo and the oppo might have a heavier weight as it has heatsinks and no fan so that is why most people think it is better build quality. There are tradeoffs to every player. No apps for the oppos either. The Panny has netflix.

• Thanks
Reactions: Aniv
I have a JVC Projector as well :) "Had a red push with the first 2 firmware versions when using BT2020 profile", long corrected.

I dont need apps on a UHD player, what happens when Panasonic stops updating the app? I use a nVidia shield for it. Oppo is continuing to provide updates for players it released 7 years ago. I wish I could the say the same about other brands in the AV business.

However due to this being non LLL related we can discuss on FB so the natives dont get angry.

• Thanks
Reactions: blu-steel
Added a few singles and some one clicks to the Group Buy. Last chance as I will take them off at midnight to be put back to merchant inventory.

Reactions: EvilThing