La La Land (Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

Strangerbyday

Premium Supporter
Jun 4, 2015
Ireland
Release date: May 15, 2017
Purchase links: Amazon UK - Zoom - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £21.99 (Amazon) - £22.99 (Zoom - Zavvi - HMV)
01-414309.jpg

02-414309.jpg
03-414309.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
4k is really having a tough time right now. For all we know, it may never catch on.

So why invest in a format with a questionable future?

Furthermore, the 4k discs which are available now will be even cheaper in the future. They will not go up in price, they will only go down. Do you see blu-ray releases from last year going up in price?

So buying 4k discs as some kind of investment for the future is a really poor investment.

It's called bleeding edge for a reason.

4k is really having a tough time right now. For all we know, it may never catch on.

So why invest in a format with a questionable future?

Furthermore, the 4k discs which are available now will be even cheaper in the future. They will not go up in price, they will only go down. Do you see blu-ray releases from last year going up in price?

So buying 4k discs as some kind of investment for the future is a really poor investment.

It's called bleeding edge for a reason.

Speaking to one of the senior UK management at Samsung only a week ago, 4K is already dead in the water. 8K is just around the corner and 4K tv's have sold even less units than 3D. Samsung skipped 3D for their current range and have had nothing but bad feedback not realising that while still a niche market 3D was a better seller. With a lack of several studios not interested in releasing 4K discs it was dead before it even started. steelbooks should contain the 4K disc only if the film wasn't shown in 3D at no extra cost. Plus if your TV is anything less than 65inch you will not notice much of a difference from a good encoded 1080p release.

Anyway back to topic, love this film, so its a must have purchase for me.:drool:

Speaking to one of the senior UK management at Samsung only a week ago, 4K is already dead in the water. 8K is just around the corner and 4K tv's have sold even less units than 3D. Samsung skipped 3D for their current range and have had nothing but bad feedback not realising that while still a niche market 3D was a better seller. With a lack of several studios not interested in releasing 4K discs it was dead before it even started. steelbooks should contain the 4K disc only if the film wasn't shown in 3D at no extra cost. Plus if your TV is anything less than 65inch you will not notice much of a difference from a good encoded 1080p release.

Anyway back to topic, love this film, so its a must have purchase for me.:drool:
Not to go off topic but 4K is far from dead. It's early days, whether it will be a success who knows but the industry is certainly getting behind it. You don't need a 65" TV to see the difference, it's all about HDR. That improvement is visible on any screen size and is more important that the resolution IMO. I also can't see the argument about 8k, that I don't see happening. If people won't buy 4K why would they bother with 8k when you will need a 85" TV to see the difference! Lol! Anyway back on topic I still haven't seen this yet!:)

• Thanks
Reactions: harry
I think it would be literally (yes, literally) impossible to see any resolution-related difference between 4K and 8K on any screen size, presuming a realistic viewing distance.

4K "Dead in the water" LOL

As we know 4K is not "dead in the water".
4K has only just appeared her in the U.K. - as in from only Autumn of last year.
Give it a chance - most of us don't have 4K Blu-ray payers yet let alone 4K TVs and I expect 4K players will be somewhat similar in price to the GBP 550 (reduced from 600 quid) that I paid for my first BD player back in 2008 or probably even a good deal cheaper. Same applies to the discs - for example, the first Blu-ray discs I bought at the very start of the new format were between GBP 24.99 - 29.99 (yikes!).
In a few years 4K UHD discs will be as commonplace as regular Blu-ray discs although I can't guess at how prevalent 4K UHD steelbooks will be here in the U.K. as I only have one of those so far (LABYRINTH).
If 4K UHD discs are bundled together with regular Blu-rays and DVDs most (not all LOL) people will be more than happy.
Some of the 4K UHD titles available now in the U.K. :-
II
V
THE SHALLOWS STAR TREK: INTO DARKNESS LABYRINTH BATMAN V. SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE INFERNO ANGELS & DEMONS THE DA VINCI CODE SUICIDE SQUAD CROUCHING TIGER ... X-MEN: APOCALYPSE THE REVENANT THE MARTIAN HANCOCK OBLIVION CHAPPIE FANTASTIC BEASTS LUCY LA LA LAND SICARIO DEEPWATER HORIZON PASSENGERS LONE SURVIVOR DEADPOOL STAR TREK: BEYOND UNDERWORLD: BLOOD WARS JASON BOURNE JACK REACHER: NEVER GO BACK THE HUNTSMAN: WINTER'S WAR LIFE OF PI ID: RESURGENCE MAD MAX: FURY ROAD SULLY BOURNE IDENTITY/SUPREMACY/ULTIMATUM/LEGACY SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN EVEREST SAUSAGE PARTY KINGSMAN STAR TREK XI TROLLS GHOSTBUSTERS 1,2 and 3 GOOGFELLAS THE ACCOUNTANT I AM LEGEND X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST SECRET LIFE OF PETS FAST AND FURIOUS 6 and 7 THE LEGO MOVIE THE LEGEND OF TARZAN WAR DOGS SAN ANDREAS ALLIED MAZE RUNNER: SCORCH TRIALS CRIMINAL THE TOWN CONCUSSION COLLATERAL BEAUTY WARCRAFT: THE BEGINNING SALT AMAZING SPIDER-MAN CREED THE 5TH WAVE EXODUS BATTLESHIP PAN THE HUNGER GAMES: COMPLETE COLLECTION TMNT: OUT OF THE SHADOWS HITMAN: AGENT 47 ARGO MAZE RUNNER STORKS THE EXPENDABLES 3 FANTASTIC FOUR PINEAPPLE EXPRESS MISS PEREGRINE'S HOME ... THE SMURFS THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN MORGAN SING MECHANIC: RESURRECTION X-MEN: FIRST CLASS THE LAST WITCH HUNTER NOW YOU SEE ME PACIFIC RIM JUPITER ASCENDING GODS OF EGYPT JOY IN THE HEART OF THE SEA ASSASSIN'S CREED TROLLS RESIDENT EVIL: AFTERLIFE THE ANGRY BIRDS MOVIE MAN OF STEEL POINT BREAK THE GREAT GATSBY

Last edited by a moderator:
We are debating the usefulness of 4K in a HiDef forum. That alone says a lot.

If HiDef enthusiasts don't all agree about the validity of 4K, what would Joe Blow on the street think?

Also 8K brings up a good point. If we continue with this trend of 8K, 16K, 32K, will consumers keep on buying new sets?

No, of course not. Many people are already happy with HD which is a giant leap from SD. As you go higher, fewer and fewer people will be interested because what we have is good enough.

Look at the number of people happy with compressed downloads vs CDs which have an obvious technical advantage. I think BD will be the last great physical media.

Haven't seen LA LA LAND though I love musicals. Looking forward to this one to watch on BD because my HT is better than my local theatre.

Got to see this today and I absolutely loved it

Didn't realise it was going to be so funny (although I should of with those 2)
The music is perfect and don't go too overboard either.
Stunning visuals too

I really want kimchi Blu collection to do a version to go with whiplash but I'll get this for now,
He's a fantastic director/ writer and can't wait for his next film

Need to track the vinyl down now

4K has only just appeared her in the U.K. - as in from only Autumn of last year.
4K blu-ray players (and discs) may have only come out in the UK last year, but 4K TVs and content have been available for longer than that. I first saw 4K TVs in the shops in the summer of 2015, and BT Sport launched their Ultra HD service in August 2015...

• Helpful Post
Reactions: virkia