Man of Steel (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Illustrated Artwork) (Amazon Exclusive) [Germany]

Jan 30, 2013
FFO, Germany
Release date: December 7, 2017 December 14, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon DE
Price: €14.99
Artwork:

91sLNcQBwYL._SL1500_.jpg 91LWsSzx-ZL._SL1500_.jpg 91boIHU8+9L._SL1500_.jpg 81cKuqncFGL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
What's on the back? See post #22

Can't see the other two being as lovely-looking as this one in the wave of four (so far) DC comics superheroes steelbooks and it's unfortunate that people can't get their heads around the fact that all of these superheroes started life not on film but in book and as mentioned above poster images have been done to death . . . particularly on WW.
There's one consolation for the dislikers - they hold the majority view (so far) on this poll entitled,
"Are you interested in buying this wave of drawn comic-book artwork ?"
. . . with results at the time of writing:-
  • NO (55%, 114 Votes)
  • YES (31%, 64 Votes)
  • MAYBE (14%, 31 Votes)
(Oh, and just trying to catch up . . . does this now make it 4 different WONDER WOMAN steelbooks for Germany ?!)

Jim Lee of course well-known for his DC work:-
e957b9d6f62b76be5063c60389e39efe--real-superman-superman-artwork.jpg

3063015-jim-lee-in-space%5B1%5D.jpg
man_of_steel_ii_by_archaeopteryx14-d6bpqwo.png
b73649111536dcb27bc87714e0b0d0d9--superman-comic-superman-sketch.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Batman_superman.PNG

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
octwwspecial.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SSQUAD_Cv8_gallery_583cb58e684381.34414497.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty sure every steelbook thread has both positive and negative opinions on pretty much all artwork that is approved so yes as long at is is civil, this surely can be criticised too?

It's not difficult for people on the forum to understand here that this is the Man of Steel movie starring Henry Cavill showing artwork in comic book style that doesn't represent Henry Cavill.
People are aware that it doesn't have to represent Henry Cavill as it is still Superman regardless. What is there to understand?
Just because people don't like it and don't want it doesn't mean they don't understand it lol. Of course, there will be lots that buy this because a) it's another steelbook to the DCEU collection,
and b) There are comic fans out there. Equally so there will be lots that dislike the artwork because it isn't to their taste.

Is it not subjective like every other steelbook art? I personally want artwork on my steelbooks that represent the film I am buying.
If this was on the shelf in your local Tesco store most casual film buyers would walk in, take one look at it and think it's a cartoon style movie from the cover.

If you want something 'different' I think Wonder Woman comic STYLE has got it right actually (my opinion before you shoot me down) as it represents Gal Gadot.

Who's being uncivil and not nice? Did I miss a breakout?

I love illustrated steels (of art I like) but I just can't work out if I like this one or not

Does Jim Lee not like criticism or something? Only positive vibes lol

• Thanks
Reactions: JAE UK SIN
Pretty sure every steelbook thread has both positive and negative opinions on pretty much all artwork that is approved so yes as long at is is civil, this surely can be criticised too?

It's not difficult for people on the forum to understand here that this is the Man of Steel movie starring Henry Cavill showing artwork in comic book style that doesn't represent Henry Cavill.
People are aware that it doesn't have to represent Henry Cavill as it is still Superman regardless. What is there to understand?
Just because people don't like it and don't want it doesn't mean they don't understand it lol. Of course, there will be lots that buy this because a) it's another steelbook to the DCEU collection,
and b) There are comic fans out there. Equally so there will be lots that dislike the artwork because it isn't to their taste.

Is it not subjective like every other steelbook art? I personally want artwork on my steelbooks that represent the film I am buying.
If this was on the shelf in your local Tesco store most casual film buyers would walk in, take one look at it and think it's a cartoon style movie from the cover.

If you want something 'different' I think Wonder Woman comic STYLE has got it right actually (my opinion before you shoot me down) as it represents Gal Gadot.

IMO this looks as much like Henry Cavill ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- as this ---------------------- or this - airbrushed to within an inch of her life (lol) - does of Gal Gadot:-
upload_2017-9-20_23-38-42.png
upload_2017-9-20_23-39-58.png
upload_2017-9-20_23-41-49.png

upload_2017-9-20_23-46-15.png
upload_2017-9-20_23-31-47.png

Now that's more like it:-

kAYjYS3o

Last edited:
Goddammit.

I don't like having multiple copies of one movie, and I already have Manta's MOS but I guess I'll get this... it's so cheap I may as well... I suppose.

If I like Zeta's too, then I will have a serious problem.

Civil may have been a poor choice of words for me at the time ... was typing fast on the run, hence I didnt even tag the culprit! :punch: .... @lgans316 overall I'm always in a happy go lucky mood so im just picking at all this in that sense ... nothing serious. But what I was mentioning is just simply stating something is PooPoo isn't the best description. lol.

But I get it ... some folks will never like comic book art steels .... and if that is the case then no need to jump in just calling something poop. Who knows maybe Lganz does own or like some other comic book style steels so was merely stating for encouragement to show what is you did like then. But I guess let's face it ... even comic book lovers don't enjoy ALL comic book art ... you reach out to what appeals to you. So some will and some wont. But compared to some the minimalist stuff or some the pop arts this stuff is much stronger. Its definitely different tho. (once you see back, and inside for that matter .... ) ill get it up soon, I have to get up a vid of another title first.

Reactions: lgans316
Civil may have been a poor choice of words for me at the time ... was typing fast on the run, hence I didnt even tag the culprit! :punch: .... @lgans316 overall I'm always in a happy go lucky mood so im just picking at all this in that sense ... nothing serious. But what I was mentioning is just simply stating something is PooPoo isn't the best description. lol.

But I get it ... some folks will never like comic book art steels .... and if that is the case then no need to jump in just calling something poop. Who knows maybe Lganz does own or like some other comic book style steels so was merely stating for encouragement to show what is you did like then. But I guess let's face it ... even comic book lovers don't enjoy ALL comic book art ... you reach out to what appeals to you. So some will and some wont. But compared to some the minimalist stuff or some the pop arts this stuff is much stronger. Its definitely different tho. (once you see back, and inside for that matter .... ) ill get it up soon, I have to get up a vid of another title first.

Mate,

I don't completely hate comic artworks but in this instance it doesn't illustrate or represent Henry Cavill in a comic way. The artwork is very generic that it doesn't represent or celebrate feature film Man of Steel. If you remove Man of Steel title from the front and put a random Superman based DC animated feature film no one would even spot that. The artwork must strongly represent the film IMO. When I see the artwork I must be able to immediately recognise the film. :)

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Wreck
Mate,

I don't completely hate comic artworks but in this instance it doesn't illustrate or represent Henry Cavill in a comic way. The artwork is very generic that it doesn't represent or celebrate feature film Man of Steel. If you remove Man of Steel title from the front and put a random Superman based DC animated feature film no one would even spot that. The artwork must strongly represent the film IMO. When I see the artwork I must be able to immediately recognise the film. :)

Great reply. They are very different I thought it was animated titles at first till I saw Henry cavill but it's fresh I'll give them that. Not for all , but nice additions if priced right.

Yeah really not feeling this. Looks nothing like cavil and more like a the normal comic book supes which is cool illustrated art but but not feeling it on steel for the live action film. If this was a DC superman animated film it would be so much better.

Also not liking the double art, just a lazy design choice. Although I do prefer the black and white art on the steel lol (looks clearer)

I hope all 4 films have consistent illustrated artwork. This is something different compared to existing poster artwork.

I really like the movie Man of Steel. I liked it right from the moment I saw it in the theatre.

What amazes me though, from what I recall, was all of the hate towards the film.
It seemed at the time that nobody liked it and it was the first of 3 DC disasters to come out followed by Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman.

So I guess I'm really surprised by so many people picking up their 3rd or 4th versions of steelbooks for this title including premium editions. That goes for all the versions of Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman as well.

So are all of these purchases being made by completists? Who are afraid to be left behind and miss out on a release and just have to catch 'em all whether they like the art or not?
Or do people genuinely like the movies?

As I said, I like this movie, and I like the art on this steelbook and I will be buying this because the price is right.

One last thing I will mention is that I was very disappointed when I heard that the next Superman movie was going to have Batman in it. I really wanted just another Superman movie. I still just want another Superman movie.

But unfortunately it looks like we won't be getting another movie with just Superman.

• Thanks
Reactions: AlienKing
I really like the movie Man of Steel. I liked it right from the moment I saw it in the theatre.

What amazes me though, from what I recall, was all of the hate towards the film.
It seemed at the time that nobody liked it and it was the first of 3 DC disasters to come out followed by Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman.

So I guess I'm really surprised by so many people picking up their 3rd or 4th versions of steelbooks for this title including premium editions. That goes for all the versions of Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman as well.

So are all of these purchases being made by completists? Who are afraid to be left behind and miss out on a release and just have to catch 'em all whether they like the art or not?

As I said, I like this movie, and I like the art on this steelbook and I will be buying this because the price is right.

One last thing I will mention is that I was very disappointed when I heard that the next Superman movie was going to have Batman in it. I really wanted just another Superman movie. I still just want another Superman movie.

But unfortunately it looks like we won't be getting another movie with just Superman.
Man of Steel 2 is currently in development with Matthew Vaughn rumoured to have been approached to direct.

Reactions: Flloydo
Now that the back art has been revealed this is now categorically POS and outright lazy. Zero creativity and plastering something generic on both sides doesn't represent Man of Steel as a feature film. They could have at least put Superman logo on the back. The reason they glossed this is to push up sales as they know with such a poor artwork and matte finish, it would be difficult to sell.

I can see why people would think the back is lazy but I feel like this is aimed at comic fans rather than people who are solely fans of the movies. It's basically like a variant comic cover and they usually sell well

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Wreck

That's what I feel these comic steels are really all about. If it appeals to a person who already owns the film to buy it again, great ... but it's also to appeal to a new audience as obviously not all of the regular steelbookers buy a film a 2nd time etc.

I think these would go great in actual comic book stores.

The inside art however is all Henry Cavill real pic. @lgans316 will go crazy when he sees that haha as it'll really throw things for a loop with the inconsistency. hehe.

For me ... I loved MOS from the theaters, and will buy multiples and have .... I however will not buy more than 1 to 2 editions of Suicide Squad and Batman vs. Superman and own 1 of each so far only ... passed on all premium editions for them too. The better the film to me the more I open up the wallet lol.

I love Man of Steel, despite some flaws it's probably one of my favourite superhero movies in general. BvS (the Ultimate Edition) was "good" I guess, Squad was a dumpster fire. But I've heard some truly weird stuff about why people dislike MOS, never completely understood it.

Also the art featuring a comic-style Superman is kind of the point... there isn't exactly a huge difference between Cavill and comic Superman's appearances anyway.

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian and virkia