paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: January 15, 2024
Purchase links: Second Sight - Amazon - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £49.99 (Second Sight - HMV) - £48.99 (Amazon - Zavvi)
Notes: Rigid slipcase with original artwork + 178-page book + 8 collectors' art cards

395291640_676848027756867_109294492852942564_n.jpg

Last edited:
Special Features

• Dual format edition including both UHD and Blu-ray with main feature and bonus features on both discs
  • New 4K restoration supervised and approved by Director Martin Scorsese and Collaborator Thelma Schoonmaker
  • Restored original mono audio
  • UHD presented in Dolby Vision HDR
  • New audio commentary by Demetrios Matheou (author of BFI Films Classics Mean Street) and David Thompson (Co-Editor of Scorsese on Scorsese)
  • Scene specific audio commentary with Martin Scorsese and Actor Amy Robinson
  • Keep Moving Forward: a new interview with Producer Jonathan T Taplin
  • Saints and Sinners: Dr Catherine Wheatley on Mean Streets
  • 2011 Film at Lincoln Center screening introduction, interview and Q&A with Martin Scorsese
  • Mardik: Baghdad to Hollywood feature-length documentary
  • Archive featurette: Back on the Block
  • Archive featurette: Home Movies
  • Trailer
Limited Edition Contents

• Rigid slipcase with original artwork
  • 178-page book with new essays by Mark Asch, Daniel Bird, Charles Bramesco, Lillian Crawford, Elena Lazic, Manuela Lazic, Christina Newland and Extract from Scorsese on Scorsese
  • 8 collectors' art cards
Region: UHD Region Free / Blu-ray Region B

Love most SS releases but I feel like they're taking the P with some of their prices, I just paid £8 more than this for 4 Hellraiser movies in 4K and that also had a large hardback book.

With them splitting licensing costs with Criterion I really don't understand how this can be so expensive.

Reactions: vexred
When is the hitcher set coming? Can‘t wait for that one. Seems like they are fitting loads of other titles in that had no mention. Second sight releases are fantastic.

Yeah, it is costly. I looked at DiabolikDVD and it's $62USD. I'm just not sure how much appetite I have for these prices. I realize this is a superior package and quality to streaming. But my iTunes copy cost me $4.99, and the way prices are increasing I am getting more and more content with just streaming and the cost savings. I'd like this set, but I'll probably end up getting the Criterion 4K. I'm assuming the paranoia about the transfer will mostly be much ado about nothing once it's released and people get to watch it.

Reactions: hoppusdelonge
Reminder there are cheaper options
If you don't need a release with both 4K+Blu-ray and Slipbox and Book etc

There are separate Standard Amaray UHD and Blu-ray releases these have the exact same disc extras

4K UHD Standard Amaray Editiom
£24.99

Blu-ray Standard Amaray Edition
£17.99

Yeah, it is costly. I looked at DiabolikDVD and it's $62USD. I'm just not sure how much appetite I have for these prices. I realize this is a superior package and quality to streaming. But my iTunes copy cost me $4.99, and the way prices are increasing I am getting more and more content with just streaming and the cost savings. I'd like this set, but I'll probably end up getting the Criterion 4K. I'm assuming the paranoia about the transfer will mostly be much ado about nothing once it's released and people get to watch it.
People were just recently paying $150 for a barebones Bestbuy steelbook of Prey on ebay. And it’s a bad movie. Clearly there is a market for expensive editions. And $62 ain’t too bad for everything included here. Gotta say I enjoy limited Second Sight editions more than most premium steelbook releases nowadays. You can see how much more thought and work are going into those.

People were just recently paying $150 for a barebones Bestbuy steelbook of Prey on ebay. And it’s a bad movie. Clearly there is a market for expensive editions. And $62 ain’t too bad for everything included here. Gotta say I enjoy limited Second Sight editions more than most premium steelbook releases nowadays. You can see how much more thought and work are going into those.
Hey, I'm not disagreeing at all. I just meant for me personally on my budget, and all. And none of that means I won't end up giving in and ordering a copy because every Second Sight edition I own is great.

Reminder there are cheaper options
If you don't need a release with both 4K+Blu-ray and Slipbox and Book etc

There are separate Standard Amaray UHD and Blu-ray releases these have the exact same disc extras

4K UHD Standard Amaray Editiom
£24.99

Blu-ray Standard Amaray Edition
£17.99
I know, £24.99 is also too much for an barebones amaray title IMO. I know this price has become the norm, but UHD shouldn't cost more than BD. They're essentially the same thing, only difference is file size, HDR metadata and sometimes disc capacity, none of which account for such a big price differential.

I know, £24.99 is also too much for an barebones amaray title IMO. I know this price has become the norm, but UHD shouldn't cost more than BD. They're essentially the same thing, only difference is file size, HDR metadata and sometimes disc capacity, none of which account for such a big price differential.
4K UHD involves lot higher costs than doing a Blu-ray release
This is why some indepedent labels still not done UHD releases yet but only do Blu-ray or DVD releases

Production cost is higher to do a 4K release
Manufacturing costs of UHD discs are higher
Dolby Vision on a UHD disc involves paying licence fee (This is why Disney UHD discs releases don't have Dolby Vision)

4K UHD dsic is still a niche market in terms of amount of UHD discs manfactured and sold in comparasion to Blu-ray and DVD
DVD still outsells Blu-ray
Blu-ray outsells UHD
Disc per unit cost is higher as less UHD discs are made and purchased in comparasion to Blu-ray or DVD
That increases the dealer price of a UHD disc release

For UHD releases prices to drop a lot requires a continuous increase of purchases of UHD disc releases (Less unit disc sales = higher dealer prices and that results in a higher retail price)

Most 4K viewing on 4K TV's is done using digital purchases (Amazon Prime/Google Play/Apple TV-iTunes etc) and using streaming providers that are free or subscription fee based that is why purchases of UHD discs remains a niche market
It will never achieve amount of units that DVD and Blu-ray discs sold in the previous 10- 25 years

This also why some retailers recently in some countries are starting to stop selling physical media releases on DVD/Blu-ray/UHD as they get stuck with unsold stock or have to sell at a loss to get revenue

You are going to see some labels still continue to do UHD releases but with less print runs compared to previously that means higher per unit cost per release but that means retail prices remain high
I still collect physical media releases on Blu-ray/UHD but lot of general public has changed to doing digital purchases or streaming subscriptions instead as it's lot cheaper and your get more content with one payment per month or year

Apple TV 4K is very good new releases cost is lot less than a new UHD release and even more cheaper a few weeks/months later and you get lot of free upgrade to 4K version when released if you previously purchased a HD version of a Film using Apple TV or iTunes and lot of releases have iTunes extras and sometimes have same extras you get on Blu-ray/UHD releases and sometimes even have exclusive extras you don't get on physical media release

Reactions: Lenny Nero
4K UHD involves lot higher costs than doing a Blu-ray release
This is why some indepedent labels still not done UHD releases yet but only do Blu-ray or DVD releases

Production cost is higher to do a 4K release
Manufacturing costs of UHD discs are higher
Dolby Vision on a UHD disc involves paying licence fee (This is why Disney UHD discs releases don't have Dolby Vision)

4K UHD dsic is still a niche market in terms of amount of UHD discs manfactured and sold in comparasion to Blu-ray and DVD
DVD still outsells Blu-ray
Blu-ray outsells UHD
Disc per unit cost is higher as less UHD discs are made and purchased in comparasion to Blu-ray or DVD
That increases the dealer price of a UHD disc release

For UHD releases prices to drop a lot requires a continuous increase of purchases of UHD disc releases (Less unit disc sales = higher dealer prices and that results in a higher retail price)

Most 4K viewing on 4K TV's is done using digital purchases (Amazon Prime/Google Play/Apple TV-iTunes etc) and using streaming providers that are free or subscription fee based that is why purchases of UHD discs remains a niche market
It will never achieve amount of units that DVD and Blu-ray discs sold in the previous 10- 25 years

This also why some retailers recently in some countries are starting to stop selling physical media releases on DVD/Blu-ray/UHD as they get stuck with unsold stock or have to sell at a loss to get revenue

You are going to see some labels still continue to do UHD releases but with less print runs compared to previously that means higher per unit cost per release but that means retail prices remain high
I still collect physical media releases on Blu-ray/UHD but lot of general public has changed to doing digital purchases or streaming subscriptions instead as it's lot cheaper and your get more content with one payment per month or year

Apple TV 4K is very good new releases cost is lot less than a new UHD release and even more cheaper a few weeks/months later and you get lot of free upgrade to 4K version when released if you previously purchased a HD version of a Film using Apple TV or iTunes and lot of releases have iTunes extras and sometimes have same extras you get on Blu-ray/UHD releases and sometimes even have exclusive extras you don't get on physical media release

All those excuses are nonsense though.

The cost of 4K mastering etc is shared across all formats, UHD selling less makes absolutely no difference. It wouldn't make any sense to try to recoup all costs on the lowest selling item, they overcharge on all formats to offset those costs. UHD is BD, they're pressed in the same plants, on the same machines, using the same discs, there is no difference in manufacturing cost outside of a few pennies difference for a BD66 or BD100 instead of a BD50. Charge a couple of quid more maybe, but £8-10 is excessive and unnecessary.

Disney also didn't drop DV because of licensing fees, their excuse was it's difficult to manufacture the discs correctly, translation - we want you buy D+ instead. Disney also tend to cheap out when it comes disc capacity BTW, using a BD50 for a film that should be on BD66, and BD66 when they should be using BD100 leaving their movies overly compressed and running at a lower bitrate. I wouldn't hold them up as an example of how things should be, disc prices jumped up £5 when they decided to join the 4K market and they put out some of the worst discs.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lenny Nero