'New TV' chat thread-2012

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hey guys,

Adding a thread for general chat about your plans of considering a new TV. Any tech, any specs. Have fun! :scat:

Considering the Sharp Aquos 70" full array LED/LCD as my next TV this year. Not sure what else to consider in that price range and size. I don't mind going 65" if I can a better TV in the same price range.

Ive seen the Sharp 70" on Amazon as low as $2399 a couple times.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OCXGAG/?tag=hidefnin-20

Anyone any thoughts or recommendations for other TV's? No plasma's though simply because I do log in a good amount of gaming hours and plasma + gaming doesn't bode well.

I have thought about projector setups but man I don't have a room at the moment that I can dedicate to just theatre purposes only.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Considering the Sharp Aquos 70" full array LED/LCD as my next TV this year. Not sure what else to consider in that price range and size. I don't mind going 65" if I can a better TV in the same price range.

Ive seen the Sharp 70" on Amazon as low as $2399 a couple times.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004OCXGAG/?tag=hidefnin-20

Anyone any thoughts or recommendations for other TV's? No plasma's though simply because I do log in a good amount of gaming hours and plasma + gaming doesn't bode well.

I have thought about projector setups but man I don't have a room at the moment that I can dedicate to just theatre purposes only.

Thanks!

How long do you let a single image occupy your TV at any given moment? Most of the Plasmas sold today don't have burn-in issues.

The good news is that for the past couple of years quality manufacturers have been steadily working on improving plasma technology resistance to "burn in" with great success. One technique used is motion adaptive anti burn in technology, which focuses on moving the on-screen image ever so slightly. The goal is to avoid detection by the human eye, but still move the image enough to cause color changes in the pixels. A second improvement by some manufacturers is improvement in the phosphor gas itself in order to make it more resistant. The green phosphor is the most important in this process. This is also a key element in increasing phosphor and screen lifespan to CRT levels.

As a result of these advancements, a couple of prominent manufacturers now claim that plasma TVs have the same burn in resistance and susceptibility as CRT TVs. When was the last time you heard someone say that they were concerned about image burn in on their tube TV? Never?

I think you have little to worry about when it comes to plasma burn in any longer.

I have a Panny vt25 plasma and it rocks. I do plenty of gaming and movie watching and it has an advanced calibration menu.

Anyway, I am looking for a tv for my room and I am looking into one of those new Samsung Smart LED TVs. Don't want a plasma for my room so LED will do. Plus it has Hulu and Netflix so my girl will use that TV and I can use mine in the living room so it works out lol

How long do you let a single image occupy your TV at any given moment? Most of the Plasmas sold today don't have burn-in issues.

The good news is that for the past couple of years quality manufacturers have been steadily working on improving plasma technology resistance to "burn in" with great success. One technique used is motion adaptive anti burn in technology, which focuses on moving the on-screen image ever so slightly. The goal is to avoid detection by the human eye, but still move the image enough to cause color changes in the pixels. A second improvement by some manufacturers is improvement in the phosphor gas itself in order to make it more resistant. The green phosphor is the most important in this process. This is also a key element in increasing phosphor and screen lifespan to CRT levels.

As a result of these advancements, a couple of prominent manufacturers now claim that plasma TVs have the same burn in resistance and susceptibility as CRT TVs. When was the last time you heard someone say that they were concerned about image burn in on their tube TV? Never?

I think you have little to worry about when it comes to plasma burn in any longer.

This is what I have been hearing recently about plasma's that there isn't anything worry about. To be honest I actually like the picture on plasma's more then LCD/LED's when I compare them. At least to my eyes. But I have avoided the like the plague after seeing three of my friends plasma's bite the dust with burn in from gaming and one of our own at home from just cable tv, lol. That being said these were like 1st or 2nd gen plasma tv's. So were talking really old plasma's now (7-9+ years old).

The most I leave any image static just sitting there is if I leave the PS3 on at its home menu and walk away and I forget or something like that. Other then if Im gaming the screen is seldom static... something is always moving. Same apple to cable tv or movies. I guess the leave it on a forget thing is easily solved by a timer to turn off the tv for inactvitiy.

That being said Im not in it for the long haul anyways when I get a TV. I find I get the itch to go bigger or better ever 3-4 years, lol. Although I think time I would like to get at least 5 years before getting another.

Well any suggestions on plasma's in the 65" size range around $2K that I should consider over the Sharp 70" LED. ?

Oh and thanks for making this thread, DB, looks like its helping me get some advice!

Last edited:
This is what I have been hearing recently about plasma's that there isn't anything worry about. To be honest I actually like the picture on plasma's more then LCD/LED's when I compare them. At least to my eyes. But I have avoided the like the plague after seeing three of my friends plasma's bite the dust with burn in from gaming and one of our own at home from just cable tv, lol. That being said these were like 1st or 2nd gen plasma tv's. So were talking really old plasma's now (7-9+ years old).

The most I leave any image static just sitting there is if I leave the PS3 on at its home menu and walk away and I forget or something like that. Other then if Im gaming the screen is seldom static... something is always moving. Same apple to cable tv or movies. I guess the leave it on a forget thing is easily solved by a timer to turn off the tv for inactvitiy.

That being said Im not in it for the long haul anyways when I get a TV. I find I get the itch to go bigger or better ever 3-4 years, lol. Although I think time I would like to get at least 5 years before getting another.

Well any suggestions on plasma's in the 65" size range around $2K that I should consider over the Sharp 70" LED. ?

Oh and thanks for making this thread, DB, looks like its helping me get some advice!

From what all I've read, Panasonic seems to make the best Plasmas. I have three friends that all have top of the line Plasmas and my friend with the Panasonic one looks twice as good as the others. If I was going to buy a Plasma it would definitely be a Panasonic.

I for one don't own a Plasma I have an LG Infinia series LED 3D 240hz HDTV and it looks almost as good as most plasmas. Of course plasma run in the 600hz range and don't really suffer from motion blur at all. My LG doesn't either though so if you want the straight scoop from me, get an LED HDTV. I have two other friends with the Infinia series LG's and they are just like me and swear up and down by them. When your buying a TV, the best thing to do is go to your local TV shop and view them all side by side and see what you like the best and then get online and find the best deal you can find on the one you like. I got mine from Amazon.

If you do wind up getting a Plasma you really not worry about burn-in any longer. Good luck on your search. :D

I bought the VT25 at the end of 2010 (at the time it was the best 3D plasma around) I can tell you that I've never had any type of burn ins. Although initially when I was breaking it in, I did leave something for about 15 minutes and the image stayed for a few minutes after I came back. However, this was just after I bought it. Ever since I sometimes leave for 20 or 30 minutes :p and I have absolutely no problems. I am not sure I could of said that 6-7 years ago models.

Plasmas do generate more heat though. I am currently looking for one of these. I can tell you that whites are brighter on the LED, but blacks are definitely deeper on plasmas.

I guess ultimately your personal preference will help you decide.

From what all I've read, Panasonic seems to make the best Plasmas. I have three friends that all have top of the line Plasmas and my friend with the Panasonic one looks twice as good as the others. If I was going to buy a Plasma it would definitely be a Panasonic.

I for one don't own a Plasma I have an LG Infinia series LED 3D 240hz HDTV and it looks almost as good as most plasmas. Of course plasma run in the 600hz range and don't really suffer from motion blur at all. My LG doesn't either though so if you want the straight scoop from me, get an LED HDTV. I have two other friends with the Infinia series LG's and they are just like me and swear up and down by them. When your buying a TV, the best thing to do is go to your local TV shop and view them all side by side and see what you like the best and then get online and find the best deal you can find on the one you like. I got mine from Amazon.

If you do wind up getting a Plasma you really not worry about burn-in any longer. Good luck on your search. :D

I bought the VT25 at the end of 2010 (at the time it was the best 3D plasma around) I can tell you that I've never had any type of burn ins. Although initially when I was breaking it in, I did leave something for about 15 minutes and the image stayed for a few minutes after I came back. However, this was just after I bought it. Ever since I sometimes leave for 20 or 30 minutes :p and I have absolutely no problems. I am not sure I could of said that 6-7 years ago models.

Plasmas do generate more heat though. I am currently looking for one of these. I can tell you that whites are brighter on the LED, but blacks are definitely deeper on plasmas.

I guess ultimately your personal preference will help you decide.

Love our 2 plasmas, and next TV will be Panasonic Plasma again. For me, nothing match their cinematic reproduction and black levels.

Thanks for input all. I will definitely consider all of it come buying time. I will have to see for my self which direction is best. One thing I do agree on though is that plasma's do seem to have a better cinematic experience to them with deeper blacks and less motion blur.

I would ideally like to stay 65"-70" range for a TV as my current one is 47" and I would like it to a big enough of an upgrade to really see the difference. Although 60" is pretty big too. That LG Infinia definitely sounds like a decent option. Some of the Panasonic and Samsung's also look good too. I definitely have some options moving forward that for sure. :)

I posted this in the Plasma discussion as well. Figured i may have a better chance if i post in 2 threads.

I've been seriously considering getting a new TV. I said before i was going to wait for the 3D TV's that don't need the glasses, but they don't look to be coming out anytime soon. I can't fit anymore than a 50", so i'm looking at 50" plasma's, and this LG has gotten great reviews for the best 3D plasma's of 2012. Any thought or comments as to why i should or shouldn't get this one?:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074YRGIY/?tag=hidefnin-20

I'd be adding a 4 year squaretrade warranty just incase, for an additional $116.

There's only six reviews there mostly positive. I'd suggest you go see it in person at best buy or other retailer before purchasing just to make sure it matches your expectations.

There's only six reviews there mostly positive. I'd suggest you go see it in person at best buy or other retailer before purchasing just to make sure it matches your expectations.

Anything has to be better than my Vizio VX37L. It only does 1080i, @60 HZ and anyboy who's house i go over that has any tv from the past few years, their blows mine away. The price seems reasonable to me, i pretty much just wanted to make sure there aren't too many bad experiences with it or stuff like that. About the only tv i've read about that may be better is a Panasonic, but it's like $400 more than the LG, and out of my price range.

---------- Post added at 03:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

Ok well, the more i read on AVS forums, The LG i listed above is looking like the second best 50" plasma released this year. This Panasonic seems to be the cream of the crop, and i'm now considering it as well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00752VKU0/?tag=hidefnin-20

I have two LG LCD HDTV's, althought there not Plasmas I do stand behind LG. They make some good quality TV's. You really can't go wrong buying an LG. :scat:

Yeah. My parents bought a regular LG HDTV about 2 years ago, and it looks good and has been reliable thus far.

I have two LG LCD HDTV's, althought there not Plasmas I do stand behind LG. They make some good quality TV's. You really can't go wrong buying an LG. :scat:

Ill second that motion... my sister got a LG LED and its a awesome TV. Few friends have LG plasmas and nothing bad to say about em'. I would go for the LG and save some coin... personal opinion. Although the cream of the crop when it comes to plasma's IMO is Panasonic (still kind of affordable) and Pioneer's Elite line of TVs (sell a vital organ, lol).

Ill second that motion... my sister got a LG LED and its a awesome TV. Few friends have LG plasmas and nothing bad to say about em'. I would go for the LG and save some coin... personal opinion. Although the cream of the crop when it comes to plasma's IMO is Panasonic (still kind of affordable) and Pioneer's Elite line of TVs (sell a vital organ, lol).

I guess the price isn't as big of a deal as i thought it was, i always forget about Amazon's 12 months same as cash.

I guess the price isn't as big of a deal as i thought it was, i always forget about Amazon's 12 months same as cash.

oh k. Well if price isn't that big of a deal and your not one of those that needs to replace there TV every 2-3 years (As in you will keep this tv for a long time) then I say go for the Panasonic. They are well known to currently being the best plasma's on the market behind the Pioneer Elite Tv's which lets be honest are in another level of their own (especially money wise).

oh k. Well if price isn't that big of a deal and your not one of those that needs to replace there TV every 2-3 years (As in you will keep this tv for a long time) then I say go for the Panasonic. They are well known to currently being the best plasma's on the market behind the Pioneer Elite Tv's which lets be honest are in another level of their own (especially money wise).

No, i definately don't need to replace my tv often. I've been living with this one for about 7 years now, check out it's crappy specs: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ROO4D8/?tag=hidefnin-20

No, i definately don't need to replace my tv often. I've been living with this one for about 7 years now, check out it's crappy specs: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ROO4D8/?tag=hidefnin-20

I LOL'ed at the price and shipping weight.... 300 pounds!! Well its must have been a good TV 7 years ago based on the specs not so much anymore as you know. :p

If you keep em that long I say definitely get the Panasonic. They are awesome plasma's. The blacks are really deep and great for cinematic experiences. Im not saying the LG is bad but the Panasonic's are a bit better.