Purchase links: Zavvi

Winner:

ogf.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 291
Last edited by a moderator:
As far as the concept of how the artwork is set out, then I don't think there is any question that the best way would be to have Chang on the front, Crystal on the back and a lone Julian in the inner artwork i.e. caught between the two. That won't happen though because the dragon is too prominent in the film posters etc.

Gosling shouldn't be plastered all over this. Keep it simple... the Dragon at the front, a simple back and Changs blade coming down as the inner artwork. The most Gosling should appear is once, anything more is absurd.

I do also like this as the inner artwork though.

Only+God+Forgives_1.png

Reactions: lolwut
^ I'm not blowing my own trumpet. But in all honesty, I highly doubt that will be picked for the Steelbook because they'll be looking for a unique design someone has drawn themself or composited themself using official stuff. That neon sign and that image of Vithaya and Ryan are unedited and off Google. And they're not going to want any HDN plugs on it anywhere, it's not a HDN Steelbook.

And another thing that's bothering me is I've noticed a lot of people on the Empire forum are stealing other people's existing artwork off places like DeviantART and aren't using officially released art. Quite naughty I think.

Sorry if I sound mean...

Last edited:
^ I'm not blowing my own trumpet. But in all honesty, I highly doubt that will be picked for the Steelbook because they'll be looking for a unique design someone has drawn themself or composited themself using official stuff. That neon sign and that image of Vithaya and Ryan are unedited and off Google. And they're not going to want any HDN plugs on it anywhere, it's not a HDN Steelbook.

And another thing that's bothering me is I've noticed a lot of people on the Empire forum are stealing other people's existing artwork off places like DeviantART and aren't using officially released art. Quite naughty I think.

Sorry if I sound mean...

Agreed. This is why me and a friend are doing mockups this week...by hand! Gonna be using pastels, ink, potentially some etching, and a bit of touching up on PS (so it will look presentable to be reprinted of course). Will hopefully have it done by next weekend. Unique all the way!

Reactions: Liam125 and Bunk
I was underwhelmed by this film- too arty for its own good. Although it's much better when you read up on what is going on. I hope the rumoured 'real' ending gets reinstated.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

I like this art -
only-god-forgives-alternate-poster.jpg

and this is not bad -
only-god-forgives-poster.jpg

:giggle:

That top image is amazing.... an original piece too.

Reactions: lolwut
I doubt they'll accept 'original art' not made by the Steelbook cover designer. Purely because a lot of artists want their work respected and not stolen. The manufacturing gang and the person who stole their art might find themselves sued if they mess with the wrong person.

Empire/the manufacturers need to do some reverse Google Images searches to check & disqualify those who have obviously stolen the 'original art' from elsewhere. I don't really understand why people go ahead and submit those anyway, they're probably unaware of what they're doing.

I doubt they'll accept 'original art' not made by the Steelbook cover designer. Purely because a lot of artists want their work respected and not stolen. The manufacturing gang and the person who stole their art might find themselves sued if they mess with the wrong person.

Empire/the manufacturers need to do some reverse Google Images searches to check & disqualify those who have obviously stolen the 'original art' from elsewhere. I don't really understand why people go ahead and submit those anyway, they're probably unaware of what they're doing.

There would be a problem when they'd be asked to submit high-res masters of the design, plus I'm sure Refn will recognise if he's seen it before as there have been quite a few competitions like this that he has judged (like the Little White Lies one).

OMG YES!!!! Only God Forgives is my second favourite film released year and probably my second or third favourite from Refn. I was not expecting any steelbook because it bombed critically and with audiences but I'm so stoked there is going to be one. Oh man this is going to be epic!

Annoyingly Bigrob and myself deal with the PR company (for reviews for HDN) running this competition and I am a little annoyed that they didn't come to us first to do the competition. I have spoken to them direct about the passion for movies and steelbooks, so they fully know where we stand in the steelbook game and how much we can influence companies decisions, like Zavvi for example.

They would get some major exposure (even more than they are now) by coming direct to us..... oh well :(

All I can hope for is that a member of HDN does win the competition and they realise that we mean business

I actually really liked this movie, almost a complete piece of art. The steelbook should definitely reflect this.

Stoked it's getting the treatment :D!

Reactions: Nickcook1845