OOP steelbook help

prodigy1985

Film Aficionado
Premium Supporter
May 20, 2012
USA
I wanted to know if there is some way of knowing which steelbook titles will go OOP and which one wont go OOP. Is it some kind of pattern to buying them or is it just the luck of the draw. Any info would be greatly appreciated because i have a tendency to buy up almost every steel i see from fear of it going OOP and bank account is in agony.EEK!

You should buy steelbooks because you like them not because of what there going to be worth in the future

There is no way i would spend money on something i didnt enjoy. Its just like collecting sports memorabilia if you could get a autographed jordan rookie card for the same price as a non autographed one which one would you choose. Its in peoples nature to want rarity items non just pertaining to steelbook but to all collectible items. I rest my case.

I guess you could go after the number of posts/views on a thread here for a particular steelbook. That would be a good indication ;)

You should buy steelbooks because you like them not because of what there going to be worth in the future

I agree, for one i cant afford every steelbook that is released and im sure im not the only one.

i do however pick up extra copies now and then that when i have enough references i will help out others as they have me.

but happy collecting
its an expensive hobby

So what happens if it doesn't go OOP and you have the 2-3 copies remaining on your shelf?

I have people that are looking for steels here and there. I would just sell them for the price i payed if they dont rise in value or demand. Steelbooks will sell even if they have a vast production number, you just have to be reasonable about how you price them and they will go. Ive noticed when a particular steel go oop the business where its exclusive too will raise the price not just ebay, it a global price fluctuation. So its better to get them when there cheap than paying absurd prices. Just my opinion.

To each his own.

Last edited:
Typically popular movie titles that you know are 4k run min. are the easiest to know they will go OOS within a 4-6month time frame .... from that point on the demand of the title will determine its value.

a good example of this is "Faster" .. most people havent seen the movie so the demand isnt very high ... but it was 4k and sold out, and its an AWESOME movie and so it'll just keep rising in value. Thing is, if another Country prints a Faster even as a subpar release a lot of collectors are happy just getting the cheaper version. But for now, its going the route of The Town as its the only one, a great movie, and great looking steel.

Comic book movies fetch the most, but they are also the most vulnerable. Because if the movie is successful (and most comic book movies are) then there will be another sequel. So when that new one is coming out 1/2 years down the road you stand a chance that a lazy studio might reprint etc. However, thats where I come in, but I've pulled off enough miracles as of late that there is no way I can keep it up all the time as many studios or reps dont include me in any process. In addition comic book movies these days print much more as their success garners and they share runs so they arent as limited.

The most protected titles are obscure titles with premium finishes, as those studios wont usually take another chance on and if they do they dont pay extra for finishes. Perfect example is Death Race Germany. Its been done again, but never to the point/extremes that it got at release. They arent willing to invest that much back into it again for a reprint.

Last edited:
Reactions: prodigy1985
I've never bought/sold/traded a steelbook I didn't like. If you wanna make money don't get into the steelbook business. You have to buy a load of steelbooks, hope they become popular within 6/12 months, if not you'll sell em and make your money back.

I usually offset the cost by buying more than one steelbook and selling them later , usually abroad where they were unavailable. But this is becoming more hassle then it's worth, there's a new steelbook everyother week now they're and they're becoming too common.