Pacific Rim - In theaters July 12, 2013

ripclaw

BANNED
Feb 25, 2010
IMDB link here.
I thought that I'd kick off a thread about this upcoming movie, directed by Guillermo del Toro.

Official Story Synopsis
When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes-a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)-who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.

Trailer:
[media=youtube]2vKz7WnU83E[/media]

An interesting article describing some of the battle scenes from GeekTyrant here.

Attachments

• pacific-rim-poster.jpg
    pacific-rim-poster.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed it when it was good but whenever the film took a downturn it nose dived. A cool curio film for years to come and great within it's niche when everything clicks but overall a commendable failure for me.

I just have to say, to all the people who b*tch that Hollywood doesn't make any original material anymore and that they only make remakes, reboots and sequels, this weekend at the box office proves why. I really feel bad for Guillermo del Toro right now. His Pacific Rim should've been box office gold. After all, if things like Transformers can make 400 plus million dollars -- well, you get my point.

Anyway, here's an awesome poster inspired by Jaws...

Pacific Rim JAWS.jpg

:scat:

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ so things dont look good for the Godzilla Remake? You think it might do Bad at the Box Office?

If I was Legendary and Warner , I'd be slightly worried. The first American Godzilla remake made a decent $136-million back in 1998 and that was considered to be a massive disappointment at the time, so bearing in mind how Pacific Rim will now be lucky to make a little over $100-million, yeah -- I don't think things are looking good for Gareth Edwards' Godzilla in 2014. For some reason, North American audiences just don't like to support "giant creature features" (i.e. Cloverfield only made a measly $80-million while J.J. Abrams' highly anticipated Super 8 achieved an underwhelming $127-million). Luckily for Legendary, Warner and Guillermo del Toro, Pacific Rim still has yet to open up in the major Asian territories and I believe that it'll reign supreme at the box office over there.

If I was Legendary and Warner , I'd be slightly worried. The first American Godzilla remake made a decent $136-million back in 1998 and that was considered to be a massive disappointment at the time, so bearing in mind how Pacific Rim will now be lucky to make a little over $100-million, yeah -- I don't think things are looking good for Gareth Edwards' Godzilla in 2014. For some reason, North American audiences just don't like to support "giant creature features" (i.e. Cloverfield only made a measly $80-million while J.J. Abrams' highly anticipated Super 8 achieved an underwhelming $127-million). Luckily for Legendary, Warner and Guillermo del Toro, Pacific Rim still has yet to open up in the major Asian territories and I believe that it'll reign supreme at the box office over there.

^^^ This. There is strong history of it hence why no sequels ever get green-lit aside from Transformers it seems. For some reason giant robot/creature movies never do well in theatre. But then people love them when they are released on blu-ray/dvd and complain why the movie never got a sequel or did better. I think I remember me and Ken talking about this same problem when talking about Pacific Rim last year sometime and its coming true sadly for this title too.... Lets just hope the movie kills over-seas!

evidently there are a lot more stoners going to the movies if Sandler is #1. Sorry to any Sandler fans, but the only time I ever laughed at a movie of his was when I was stoned.

Reactions: ocielz
^^^ This. There is strong history of it hence why no sequels ever get green-lit aside from Transformers it seems. For some reason giant robot/creature movies never do well in theatre. But then people love them when they are released on blu-ray/dvd and complain why the movie never got a sequel or did better. I think I remember me and Ken talking about this same problem when talking about Pacific Rim last year sometime and its coming true sadly for this title too.... Lets just hope the movie kills over-seas!

Yeah, I do believe that we were discussing this topic last year. Honestly, I saw this box office disappointment coming from a mile away. Giant monsters and robots are (sadly) just too niche for the North American public.

evidently there are a lot more stoners going to the movies if Sandler is #1. Sorry to any Sandler fans, but the only time I ever laughed at a movie of his was when I was stoned.

Were you stoned when you chose that avatar? ;)

Pacific Rim opens in China on July 31 and Japan on August 9.

I hope box office numbers over there blow it out of the water so we can can a sequel and other movies like this.

We'll probably see Grown Ups 3 and not pacific rim 2.

We shouldn't even have a jaeger in the movie.

We'll probably never see a Robotech movie now.

Last edited:
this movie was awesome, best special effects ever, everything looked so real.

and I kinda agree with Ray, I bet this movie gonna be HUGE in Japan :D lol

It pains me to see this happening to such a good film. I just got back and I loved every second of it. Special effects were amazing, amazing action, good acting Idris Elba stole the show for me. I really hope for a sequel but its not looking good. It really amazes me how good films like this or John carter bomb when they are decent movies and you have iron man 3 the worst movie I've seen this year making a billion just because its iron man. It's just like video games now new franchises and ideas always seem to fail but then you have call of duty putting the same game out every year and more and more people buy it. People need to start supporting these new ideas so we get more stuff like this. I mean seriously what more could anyone want giant robots fighting giant monsters directed by del toro!

Reactions: razr24788
Hands down the worst film of the summer. Worst movie that comes to mind in recent years. It tries to pander to too many audiences. I went in with low expectations setting this up for success and it strived for new lows. Poor acting and a plot that was pure drivel. I wouldn't recommend you seeing streaming online much less in theaters.

Who green lights these films?

I was going to see this today but saw it was rated PG so I assumed it was pandering to teens/kids = pass for me.

I ended up passing on the theatre altogether and came home and watched Midnight Meat Train which was actually a decent flick.

Just posted my Final Thoughts "review" of Pacific Rim on the HDN main page here. Please check it out and then reply underneath it with your own Final Thoughts of the film. :thumbs:

Reactions: Drum18
Well I finally made it in to see this movie and WOW. What a f^cking BRILLIANT movie. It really pains me to see the $$$ numbers on this movie considering how awesome it is. The acting, the storyline, the action, the CG, the environment, directing, cinematography were all top notch and done brilliantly. Sitting watching this in the theatre I was just in awe of what I was seeing. This is by far and without a doubt in my mind THE BEST robot/giant movie in its genre in my opinion.

The jaegers were just insane as well as the kaiju's. You could actually see them fight in this movie instead of some other movies (take a guess which ones :rolleyes:) where its just noise and fast panning metal moving around. The environment in which they set this movie was phenomenal.

Acting wise I thought Idris Elba stole the show. What a commanding presence in the film. And the two fella's playing the scientists were awesome comic-relief throughout the movie.

And one thing I haven't seen anyone note... the soundtrack in this film was amazing as well. I loved the main theme score. Ramin Djawadi's best soundtrack IMO or at-least equally as good as his soundtrack in Iron Man 1.

This is as good a movie gets in this genre. Del Torro I salue you sir... your movies deserve to do soooo much better then the box office numbers represent.

9.5/10

Well I finally made it in to see this movie and WOW. What a f^cking BRILLIANT movie. It really pains me to see the $$$ numbers on this movie considering how awesome it is. The acting, the storyline, the action, the CG, the environment, directing, cinematography were all top notch and done brilliantly. Sitting watching this in the theatre I was just in awe of what I was seeing. This is by far and without a doubt in my mind THE BEST robot/giant movie in its genre in my opinion.

The jaegers were just insane as well as the kaiju's. You could actually see them fight in this movie instead of some other movies (take a guess which ones :rolleyes:) where its just noise and fast panning metal moving around. The environment in which they set this movie was phenomenal.

Acting wise I thought Idris Elba stole the show. What a commanding presence in the film. And the two fella's playing the scientists were awesome comic-relief throughout the movie.

And one thing I haven't seen anyone note... the soundtrack in this film was amazing as well. I loved the main theme score. Ramin Djawadi's best soundtrack IMO or at-least equally as good as his soundtrack in Iron Man 1.

This is as good a movie gets in this genre. Del Torro I salue you sir... your movies deserve to do soooo much better then the box office numbers represent.

9.5/10

Damn right, man! Del Toro, Djawadi and everyone else knocked it out of the park! Djawadi's score = :drool::drool::drool:

Reactions: Jason Bourne
i was not holding out high hopes for this film,but i have to say i really enjoyed this film, and when coming out the cinema everyone i could hear saying they really enjoyed it aswell.

just came back from seeing this and its everything you can expect. Its a monsters vs robots movie, brim stone and Apocalypse, things getting torn to hell with a predicable ending. I enjoyed it for what it was because you can't possibly expect more out of something like this... BUT i do have to say i expected more out of Guillermo del Toro. With his fantasy skills, it would have been refreshing to see a movie that actually explored the monsters.

Just really disappointed that every movie now has an explosion every 5 mins and studios think you can't build a strong movie with a good story line and memorable characters

I have to say, I was not looking forward to seeing this at all from the first time I saw a trailer for it. I've never been a big fan of Guillermo Del Toro and I thought this looked very overhyped. But I just watched it and I have to say it was really good. I don't think it was the best of the year, or even the best action movie of the summer, but still very good. The acting was better than expected, the music was cool, the visual effects were really good, and it actually had a bit of a plot to it. I see a Pacific Rim steelbook in my future...

Going to see this tomorrow. Should I do 3D or 2D? Did they do well with the 3D on this?

I watched in 2D but Im a 3d hater, lol, so not a biased opinion at all here. I heard it was pretty good in 3D for what its worth.

All I gotta' say (again)....

"At the edge of our hope
At the end of our time
We have chosen not only to believe in ourselves
But in each other
Today, we will face the monsters that are at our door
Today, we are cancelling the apocalypse!"​

What an awesome movie.