Pacific Rim - In theaters July 12, 2013

ripclaw

BANNED
Feb 25, 2010
IMDB link here.
I thought that I'd kick off a thread about this upcoming movie, directed by Guillermo del Toro.

Official Story Synopsis
When legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, started rising from the sea, a war began that would take millions of lives and consume humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes-a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi)-who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.

Trailer:
[media=youtube]2vKz7WnU83E[/media]

An interesting article describing some of the battle scenes from GeekTyrant here.

Attachments

• pacific-rim-poster.jpg
    pacific-rim-poster.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 290
Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw this today. Daaayyyyyuuumm. EEK!

Whoever says this movie isn't awesome must not have a pulse. Incredible robotics. Massive beastly monsters. Fine acting. And an amazing musical score. Larger than life to the point of being super epic.

Can't wait to own this on blu ray. :oohyeah:

Reactions: tridon
Just saw this today. Daaayyyyyuuumm. EEK!

Whoever says this movie isn't awesome must not have a pulse. Incredible robotics. Massive beastly monsters. Fine acting. And an amazing musical score. Larger than life to the point of being super epic.

Can't wait to own this on blu ray. :oohyeah:

Just curious how this is awesome:

1. Idris' free fall wings were upside down
2. Why do they need pilots and not just unmanned
3. It takes 2 pilots... Really?
4. The dialogue tries to pander to way too many audiences
5. An f'n sword that cuts the monsters like butter and you only use it after trying to beat them to death and lose a ton of pilots
6. Why build a giant robot when you could just build a better missle
7. The musical score was one song running on a loop
8. Completely predictable

Countless others

Ill give you the affects were great but not good enough to make up for all of the other sins of this movie

5. An f'n sword that cuts the monsters like butter and you only use it after trying to beat them to death and lose a ton of pilots

Countless others

Ill give you the affects were great but not good enough to make up for all of the other sins of this movie

How about we all just respect each other's opinion? I remember most of your movie posts and there's a reason for that... you almost always post saying the movie was crap when I usually liked it. But hey thats your opinion, cool. Hence, why I have never turned around and insulted your posts in any of the threads because were all entitled to our own opinions and should be without having someone berate it.

If you want to have a "conversation" about disagreeing with someone's opinion, sure, I dont have a problem with that. But what you posted wasn't much of any of that no matter which way you try and slice that post...

Movies are 100% subjective material. What one likes another thinks is garbage... doesn't mean we have to go around pissing on the ones we dont agree with.

Reactions: tridon
How about we all just respect each other's opinion? I remember most of your movie posts and there's a reason for that... you almost always post saying the movie was crap when I usually liked it. But hey thats your opinion, cool. Hence, why I have never turned around and insulted your posts in any of the threads because were all entitled to our own opinions and should be without having someone berate it.

If you want to have a "conversation" about disagreeing with someone's opinion, sure, I dont have a problem with that. But what you posted wasn't much of any of that no matter which way you try and slice that post...

Movies are 100% subjective material. What one likes another thinks is garbage... doesn't mean we have to go around pissing on the ones we dont agree with.

Fair enough, no disrespect was meant I just wondered what besides the effects you guys found so great

Countless others

1. who cares
2. maybe more effective to be at the scene? btw you could say exactly the same about iron man.
3. yes. so what
4. subjective
5. you could say that about any of the robot's mechanisms. the sword is what worked as a last resort, but it could have been the chest piece fire, the missiles, the rocket elbow, etc.
6. manned robots are way cooler than missiles.
7. nice try, but not quite
8. not really. i didn't know exactly what was gonna happen.

If I were you, I wouldn't watch movies anymore. seems like you would be disappointed with anything. or maybe you should just make your own. Let me know when you put together something better than Pacific Rim and I will be the first to pour the butter over the popcorn bucket. And btw... no disrespect to you either. I'm just countering what you put. :thumbs:

Reactions: jcm
No problem. I have enjoyed several movies this summer

Star Trek into darkness: great
Man of steel: very good
Red 2: very good
Lone Ranger: ok
World war z: pretty good
This is the end: really funny

Reactions: jimmyv
Though I won't believe it for sure until I see the first trailer, Guillermo del Toro has revealed that Warner has given him and his team the go-ahead for a sequel.

Director Guillermo del Toro has been asked many things about a sequel and he decided to spill some beans. He confirmed that Warner Bros. has allowed he and his team to start writing a sequel, which is currently being worked on. He also said:

”I’ll tell you a couple of things. We will have Gipsy 2.0 for sure. Second thing is you’re gonna see a merging of Kaiju and Jaeger. And that is quite special.”

Del Toro also said that a lot of the deleted scenes from the movie hinted at possible plot lines for a sequel. Pacific Rim ended with a huge showdown underwater and went through the portal and into the Kaiju world. He referred to that sequence when he went on saying…

”Just think about it for a second. We sent Gipsy to the other side, right? It exploded, but whatever remains stays there.”

Referring to ‘drifting’, the psychological process through which Jaeger pilots team up with each other to manoeuver their giant machines, he highlighted another plot point that might come into play in a sequel:

”The main idea that we’re bouncing off is the fact that Newt drifted with a Kaiju brain, and all Kaiju brains are connected. We say that. They are like a hive mentality. So, you know, draw your own conclusions. We’ve drifted with a Kaiju brain. Well, then start riffing on that and you’ll get to something."

If you're a fan of the first film -- like me -- then this is super exciting news! I can already see the tagline for the sequel, though: "They thought they cancelled the apocalypse. They only delayed it." :p

Though I won't believe it for sure until I see the first trailer, Guillermo del Toro has revealed that Warner has given him and his team the go-ahead for a sequel.

If you're a fan of the first film -- like me -- then this is super exciting news! I can already see the tagline for the sequel, though: "They thought they cancelled the apocalypse. They only delayed it." :p

While this is positive news.... how many scripts for sequels have been green lit and nothing ever comes about. "The Brazilian Job" anyone? lol.

I hope it gets done though. Would love to see a sequel but domestic box office is WEAK imo. International however looks like it will carry it into a financial profit for the studio if it carries at this pace and I think the movie is yet to open in China/Japan still (i think?).

While this is positive news.... how many scripts for sequels have been green lit and nothing ever comes about. "The Brazilian Job" anyone? lol.

I hope it gets done though. Would love to see a sequel but domestic box office is WEAK imo. International however looks like it will carry it into a financial profit for the studio if it carries at this pace and I think the movie is yet to open in China/Japan still (i think?).

I think that the Blu-ray sales will be excellent for Pacific Rim, as well as the Japanese theatrical release. It'll make its money back, guaranteed. It's just sad that North American markets refuse to support it.

And The Brazilian Job... oh, how I wanted that film. :(

I think that the Blu-ray sales will be excellent for Pacific Rim, as well as the Japanese theatrical release. It'll make its money back, guaranteed. It's just sad that North American markets refuse to support it.

And The Brazilian Job... oh, how I wanted that film. :(

Im hoping so. I think so too but its not official until the #'s come in. It should open strong in Japan for sure.

Yeah man I wanted a sequel to the Italian Job so badly but it just never happened. So many re-writes on the script and so many film-makers picking and dropping the project and then just a whole lot' of nothing. Its pretty much dead in the water now. Studio really never pushed too hard for it which was surprising considering how well Italian Job did.

this totally needs to make more $$$

Isn't that the truth! I've seen a lot a "large" movies in my day... Jurassic Park, Titanic, Transformers, King Kong, Avatar... etc. These movies are all epic and grand in scale.

But I have never, ever seen anything so GIGANTIC as Pacific Rim.
Without question, the set designs are gargantuan in size. That makes the "awe factor" alone a worthy reason to see this.

Or, put another way... Pacific Rim is so big that it deserves to be seen.

But I have never, ever seen anything so GIGANTIC as Pacific Rim.
Without question, the set designs are gargantuan in size. That makes the "awe factor" alone a worthy reason to see this.

When I heard that Guillermo created a TWO STORY robot head for the actors to use, I knew I was all in.

Can't believe that was a real set - hardly anyone does that anymore. :LOL:

pacific-rim-visit-del-toro-610x406.jpg

My main cinephile friend told me this a "can't miss" while it's still showing in theatres. I might have to take a few hours off next week and catch a matinee, otherwise I'm going to miss it.

Saw this one today. While I think the tech involved to get things to look as good as they is impressive I wish there were some better lit shots of the Kaiju. I understand he wanted the shots to be as realistic as possible and not light scenes unnaturally, I just wanted some better looks at them. The fights were amazing and the only criticism I can levy against it is that the shots were dark. Now I eagerly await the reboot of Godzilla. :)

disappointed to see the domestic $$$ aren't too spectacular, hopefully the international $$$ make up the difference to help this make this movie worth it for the studio and perhaps even a sequel

While this movie may have had it's flaws, I still loved this movie to death, easily the most enjoyable movie I've seen in a while (after all isn't that why we go watch movies, to enjoy ourselves :) ). Guess I'm a big time sucker for big robots fighting big monsters, and I'm a fan of Hunnam from SOA and Elba from the Wire so that helps too haha