PC to Apple - making the switch

Glen-BoB

Grampie Blu-Clan
Jan 28, 2009
Dartmouth, NS, CaNaDa
I am going to be making the switch to a macbook in the near future and i just wanted to have a place that i could throw out some questions if i had them. my first question is what do i need to do with my external drive to make it compatible with the macbook. all of my photos music movies etc. are on an external drive that is PC formatted. I assume i can't just plug this into a macbook and off i go. what do i need to do?

thanks.

aight I just bought me a 3700 from best buy. Am doing a firmware update right now and after that I will hopefully be able to hang my drive off it. So if I were to format my drive, what are the format options and which one should I pick?

aight I just bought me a 3700 from best buy. Am doing a firmware update right now and after that I will hopefully be able to hang my drive off it. So if I were to format my drive, what are the format options and which one should I pick?

you dont need to format,mac os will read and write to it just fine in ntfs,it will become a network drive and both windows and mac will have access

really??? I couldn't write to this drive when it was hooked up directly to my macbook.

yeah but now its on a network, works different

I have all my movies on a 1 terrabyte drive formatted in ntfs connected to my 3700,i can even stream them to my ps3 which does not support ntfs either.

you can even keep your itunes library on there and have access as long as you are on the network

how do i add the drive to "my places" or so it shows up in my "finder" my brides PC found it no problem but having a bit of a time getting it set up for the mac.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

ok i figured out how to add it to my finder but i don't know how to keep it in there. when i reboot the machine i have to remap it. is there a way to have it always reattach to the drive when you reboot?

many thanks RK. I must buy you a beer or 2 some day.

how do i add the drive to "my places" or so it shows up in my "finder" my brides PC found it no problem but having a bit of a time getting it set up for the mac.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

ok i figured out how to add it to my finder but i don't know how to keep it in there. when i reboot the machine i have to remap it. is there a way to have it always reattach to the drive when you reboot?

many thanks RK. I must buy you a beer or 2 some day.

It should show in finders left column under shared,it will be called "readyshare"
When you open it,it mounts to your desktop

you can try this,seems like it should work fine

http://www.maciverse.com/mount-a-network-drive-in-os-x-on-startup.html

Last edited:
I think I got it working now. thanks for everything...again, lol.

Now, can you suggest some software packages for me, haha.
Looking for a good, easy to use, mac product for creating websites.

I actually found iWeb on my macbook already. works really well and it's quite easy. I made my bands website in about 3 hours last night. haha, awesome.

For some reason, the router media server isn't showing all the files. i can only see the recycle bin folder on my external drive. you have any thoughts about that? I don't see anywhere that I can add folders to share. it's just suppose to share everything? but it's not.

and what's the automator and workflows and all that for. damn, i'm starting to dig deep into this thing now, haha.

Last edited:
so i had a few drinks in me last night RK when we were talking about the update for the Mac. what was it you were saying could be done with the new update? something about apps i think, hahaha. foggy.

so i had a few drinks in me last night RK when we were talking about the update for the Mac. what was it you were saying could be done with the new update? something about apps i think, hahaha. foggy.

they've got an app store now. nothing all too exciting

Now I have a question about the wndr3700. My connection seems to be dropping. It doesn't affect Black Ops any more than the usual connection issues but I noticed it when I was playing BF:BC2 saturday night. I kept dropping out of the game but not the PSN. Obviously I thought it was the game server until I was using Skype last night and it kept dropping connection as well. I'd be able to re-connect right away but just stay connected for a few minutes at a time. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

Now I have a question about the wndr3700. My connection seems to be dropping. It doesn't affect Black Ops any more than the usual connection issues but I noticed it when I was playing BF:BC2 saturday night. I kept dropping out of the game but not the PSN. Obviously I thought it was the game server until I was using Skype last night and it kept dropping connection as well. I'd be able to re-connect right away but just stay connected for a few minutes at a time. Any thoughts on that? Thanks.

Yeah, you need to get that shite fixed! :ohno: Idk why I read this thread, it just makes me feel stupid! EEK!

reset router and modem, and see what happens.

I'll give that a whirl when i get home.

Try this

Disable SIP ALG and you can also change NAT filtering to open,by default it is secured.

They are both under WAN setup

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 83