Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge (3D+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

thewoe

#RestoreTheSnyderVerse
Premium Supporter
Dec 10, 2012
United Kingdom
Release date: October 2 , 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £24.99
Note: Includes 3D version & title on the spine

IMG_2887.JPG

Unboxing & Comparison Video:

Attachments

• IMG_2888.JPG
    IMG_2888.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 854
Last edited:
I was lucky enough to win a pair of tickets to see this a few weeks before release via sky and really enjoyed was expecting to see it in 2D so pleasantly surprised when it was a 3D Imax show.

According to Wiki:-
Critics don't like it much - RT 32% and an average rating of 4.7/10 based on 173 reviews / Metacritic 38% based on 43 ctitics "indicating generally unfavourable reviews".
What matters much more is that audiences do :thumbs: CinemaScore "A-" on an A+ to F scale)

Anything scoring an "A" is predicted to recoup the film's budget . . . in this case $230M . . . and according to Ed Mintz CS's founder, "A’s generally are good, B’s generally are shaky, and C’s are terrible. D’s and F’s, they shouldn’t have made the movie."

Its worth getting if you have the other steels.

That's why I was asking. I'd prefer one with the spine title also. I take it this will be the only version with the spine title (like Dr. Strange)?

The price is a stumbling block for me, but I received the usual 'limited stock left' email from Zavvi earlier. Not sure what to do :confused:

RE: WHY FILM TITLE CHANGE?
Various theories doing the rounds and until Disney puts out the definitive answer one of these could be the reason:-

As it stands at the time of writing (according to IMDb) of the 36 territories listed:
- SALAZAR'S REVENGE is listed in 32 territories
- PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 5 is listed in 1 territory (US of A)
- DEAD MAN TELL NO TALES in listed in 3 territories (Portugal, Russia and S. Africa)

THE THEORIES
1) Customers getting the title confused with one of the previous films - DEAD MAN'S CHEST

2) According to Cinemablend:
Quote, "There's no specific word on why the change was made though in reporting the news Den of Geek theorises that it has to do with what TRADE MARKS are available. If there was difficulty getting the trademark for Dead Men Tell No Tales in the UK because of similarly titled projects, then Disney would change the name so they could secure a trademark on a different name. The name change isn't only happening in the UK. The name change also covers the film's release in France, Italy, and Spain.
There's one significant positive to the name change in Europe. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales is a mouth full. It's a really long title that just doesn't flow very well when you're trying to discuss it with people. Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge loses the connection to the refrain that you hear repeated throughout the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland, but it's a heck of a lot easier to say."

3) My favourite theory - Spanish actor Javier Bardem as the undead main pirate villain Armando Salazar is out for revenge . . . hence title . . . with Salazar being an appropriately Mediterranean / Hispanic name for the Spanish born actor . . . instead of the original name of Captain Brand chosen for the Austrian German Christoph Waltz . . . who was reportedly the original choice for main pirate villain in DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES but had to pull out.
pirates-caribbean-5.jpg
tumblr_mivx677O8k1rt8levo2_500.gif

Looks great to me, never caught the movie but I'll definitely pick this up if I enjoy it eventually

Same here! ;) But this one has the potential to be more than a great steelbook (If you ask me) :) If this would be full glossy and the skull and bones where embossed... :drool:
I'm curious what the back and inside artwork are going to be.

Hello all

Yup, we've just had the final artwork confirmed today and it's a beauty. Definitely, one of the nicest Disney SteelBook releases this year, we think!

w9U3DhV.jpg

PS For those holding out for a 4K release - We actually haven't heard of one happening.