Release date: June 2nd, 2014
Purchase links:
Amazon.co.uk
Base.com
Zavvi.com

10941123-1396365945-212125.jpg

Per Second Sight's FB page:
RE-ANIMATOR update… We can confirm we are releasing
on Blu-ray and DVD (Region B/2) on June 2nd. The Blu-ray will be a 2 Disc Limited Edition Steelbook and feature both Unrated and Integral versions.

Bonus Features will include - audio commentary with director Stuart Gordon; audio commentary with producer Brian Yuzna, and actors Jeffrey Combs, Robert Sampson, Barbara Crampton and Bruce Abbott; Re-Animator Resurrectus documentary; interviews with Stuart Gordon and Brian Yuzna, writer Dennis Paoli, composer Richard Band and Fangoria editor Tony Timpone; extended scenes, deleted scene and trailers.

Last edited by a moderator:
for @paulboland, just wanna share this review/comparison by Mentasm from another forum:

Both cuts are brighter on Second Sight's release, but this is something that was also true of all of their other titles (that I've seen) compared to the US equivalents. It's similar to the way in which Arrow's release of Blow Out is marginally brighter than Criterion's, for example. It's not really noticeable unless you're comparing them directly.

In terms of grain structure the unrated cut looks very similar (not identical) to the Capelight version. There are subtle differences, but there would be as the encodes are different. It's certainly not worse in any meaningful way. I haven't seen the black line on the Capelight release, but I saw the comparison video on SS's FB page and its removal hasn't had a detrimental effect on things (no digital artefacts that I could see). There are still small film artefacts if you look closely enough (including specks and smaller lines), but they weren't that obvious on a 50" screen.

The Integral version isn't as good as Capelights. It's a paltry 16GB with a low bitrate and it really struggles in some areas, including the establishing shot you mention (macroblocking is visible). It gets away with it for most of the film, but cramming all of those extras onto the disc didn't do it any favours. It would have been preferable for SS to use 2x BD50s and split the extras across them, but disc one is a BD25 with two commentaries so everything else is on disc two.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a nice looking title, but the Capelight release has the edge overall. If you don't care about the Integral cut, 16-bit vs 24-bit audio and resent paying through the nose, I'd say go with the SS release.

for @paulboland, just wanna share this review/comparison by Mentasm from another forum:

The Unrated Cut is the main version and that has been remastered
And has been improved over the German version
It's from the same source

If your happy with your version that fine but I have seen a review copy of second sight Blu-rays a friend was given to view
And what I saw was very good video quality of the unrated version

I don't ever go by any reviews of others I only use it as a very basic guide and really only read them to see what extras are different to a previous release I have

The only review that counts is by viewing a video yourself by comparing different release to a new one

Have you viewed yourself the second sight version

If I went by reviews of all releases I would have less of a film collection and missed out on some releases that are simply fantastic

Some reviews are good and give correct overall view but a lot are just totally wrong just look at some blu ray release and you see totally different reviews either for or against a release

It's your right of course to have your opinion and if your happy with your german release that's fine as what's important to you that counts

But with me I judge a film quality by watching it and I decide if I like or don't like regardless of what others say and I either agree with a review or not agree
The only review that matters is yourself

The Steelbook itself it poor but content is good for me the video quality of the unrated is very good and extras that's what is important to me
If someone has a different view that fine as same applies to them it's what they like is different that's fine

If you thought my previous posts offended you they were not meant to

Thanks
Paul

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you guys answered before (and few times) and I'm sorry to ask that again but I just need to know if the german Re-Animator 1&2 steelbook has english audio/subs on both movies

It's really sad how this UK design turned out, that sketched back looks pretty poor (even with a nice draw composition) and why a different desaturated purple tone?!
Plus I didn't expect the ancient nightmare of a blank inside... in 2014... glad i cancelled.

Hope for you guys the new transfer/new extras are good enough ;)

Don't really care about a fraction of a difference in image quality, sticking with the superior packaged German version. Lovely glossy steel :D

I had an email from Zavvi today basically saying "oops, you're right - it does say the 2nd June" and are now passing it to their operations team to find out why the release date changed...

This is now showing up as 'Sold Out' on Zavvi with no release date... I don't know whether to cancel and try and take a gamble at picking this up in somewhere like HMV... whether I should wait, or whether I get it elsewhere and just accept paying a slightly higher price.

Reactions: chunk
This is now showing up as 'Sold Out' on Zavvi with no release date... I don't know whether to cancel and try and take a gamble at picking this up in somewhere like HMV... whether I should wait, or whether I get it elsewhere and just accept paying a slightly higher price.

That's excatally what happened the last time with my Zavvi Second Sight Creepshow Pre-Order

I ended up getting Creepshow from Amazon

The Amazon price at the moment for Re-Animator is to high so I will wait for a price drop as I have seen the Film already on a Blu-ray review copy but I do want the steelbook itself but not at amazon price they have at the moment

I'm curious has anyone ordered any listed in stock second sight title from Zavvi and actually got a delivery

I have suspicions they have payment problems with second sight I could be wrong but that to me is a reason why they don't get any stock from them

That's excatally what happened the last time with my Zavvi Second Sight Creepshow Pre-Order

I ended up getting Creepshow from Amazon

The Amazon price at the moment for Re-Animator is to high so I will wait for a price drop as I have seen the Film already on a Blu-ray review copy but I do want the steelbook itself but not at amazon price they have at the moment

I'm curious has anyone ordered any listed in stock second sight title from Zavvi and actually got a delivery

I have suspicions they have payment problems with second sight I could be wrong but that to me is a reason why they don't get any stock from them

It wouldn't surprise me - Zavvi are just a bunch of f*** ups at the moment, although Second Sight responded to my post about Zavvi saying they were investigating the delay and this is what they said:

All releases have a published ‘Order Cut-off Date’ by which retailers need to place an order to enable them to receive stock in time for release date. RE-ANIMATOR stock was available but it would appear that in this instance the order was placed after the Order Cut-off Date.

This is limited to 5000

I asked Second Sight a question as Zavvi missed the published Order Cut-off Date to receive stock for release date and wanted to know if it was still available for Zavvi to put an order in now as they missed the Pre-Order Date

This was a reply from second sight
Paul, the title is in stock at our warehouse and the Steelbook was a limited run of 5,000 units.

With that information from Second Sight
We should see in next few days Zavvi relist this as available to order

Amazon.UK Price is a very overpriced when you add delivery cost and when converted to Euro = €34,46 EEK!
Zavvi price when it was available to order was €22.69 Euro

Note
Zavvi buyers seam to miss a lot second sight cut of dates for new releases so if your ordering a future new release from second sight you will mostly likely will be waiting until after release date before you get delivery as when they miss the cut of date they have to wait until after release date to re submit their orders in so this will cause a delay

I will be contacting Zavvi to see if future new releases they don't miss second sights cut of order date

With this been limited to 5000 overall you might want to get an order in from a retailer Amazon/Hmv/Zavvi as this could end up as sold out

Last edited:
Reactions: Rotor1999
This is limited to 5000

I asked Second Sight a question as Zavvi missed the published Order Cut-off Date to receive stock for release date and wanted to know if it was still available for Zavvi to put an order in now as they missed the Pre-Order Date

This was a reply from second sight
Paul, the title is in stock at our warehouse and the Steelbook was a limited run of 5,000 units.

With that information from Second Sight
We should see in next few days Zavvi relist this as available to order

Amazon.UK Price is a very overpriced when you add delivery cost and when converted to Euro = €34,46 EEK!
Zavvi price when it was available to order was €22.69 Euro

Note
Zavvi buyers seam to miss a lot second sight cut of dates for new releases so if your ordering a future new release from second sight you will mostly likely will be waiting until after release date before you get delivery as when they miss the cut of date they have to wait until after release date to re submit their orders in so this will cause a delay

I will be contacting Zavvi to see if future new releases they don't miss second sights cut of order date

With this been limited to 5000 overall you might want to get an order in from a retailer Amazon/Hmv/Zavvi as this could end up as sold out

Is says sold out on zavvi. Is it sold out or did thy close the pre-order until they get stock?

Is says sold out on zavvi. Is it sold out or did thy close the pre-order until they get stock?

Yes they always do this with second Sight releases they never have them available for release date so they end up removing the releases from the website until they get delivery of the stock as they have to re submit the original order

Second Sight have a cut of date for pre-orders and zavvi keep forgetting this

This happened the last time with Creepshow was removed from the website until they got actual delivery of the stock

So it should come back listed on their website in next few weeks after they have shipped customers pre-orders

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Note the German Steelbook is nicer looking than Second Site Steelbook

But there are differences

German Steelbook does not contain Integral version it only contains the Unrated Version
extras are on this disc
German Steelbook
Disc 1 Re-Animator Unrated version and extras
Disc 2 Bride of Re-Animator and extras

Second Sight Steelbook
Disc 1 Re-Animator Unrated version Improved video of the unrated version compared to German unrated version
Disc 2 Re-Animator Integral version this is not in the German steelbook
Disc 2 contains the extras these are the same as that's on German Disc 1 Re Animator

Second Sight Steelbook does not have Bride of Re-Animator

Last edited:
The Unrated Cut is the main version and that has been remastered
And has been improved over the German version

It's from the same source

If your happy with your version that fine but I have seen a review copy of second sight Blu-rays a friend was given to view
And what I saw was very good video quality of the unrated version

I don't ever go by any reviews of others I only use it as a very basic guide and really only read them to see what extras are different to a previous release I have

The only review that counts is by viewing a video yourself by comparing different release to a new one

Have you viewed yourself the second sight version

If I went by reviews of all releases I would have less of a film collection and missed out on some releases that are simply fantastic

Some reviews are good and give correct overall view but a lot are just totally wrong just look at some blu ray release and you see totally different reviews either for or against a release

It's your right of course to have your opinion and if your happy with your german release that's fine as what's important to you that counts

But with me I judge a film quality by watching it and I decide if I like or don't like regardless of what others say and I either agree with a review or not agree
The only review that matters is yourself

The Steelbook itself it poor but content is good for me the video quality of the unrated is very good and extras that's what is important to me
If someone has a different view that fine as same applies to them it's what they like is different that's fine

If you thought my previous posts offended you they were not meant to

Thanks
Paul

After all of this talk about how the Second Sight transfer is better than the Capelight transfer - how sure you are that you're right, and now we can see actual proof that the UK Second Sight transfer is DNR'd crap:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?art=part&x=457&y=83&action=1&image=1&hd_multiID=753&cap1=39775&cap2=28203&disc1=4274&disc2=3069&lossless=#vergleich

How much did Second Sight pay you for your review? :hilarious:

Edit: Okay it's not crap. But it is less detailed than Capelight's.

Last edited: