Mar 15, 2017
Release date: June 27, 2017
Purchase link: Target
Price: $22.99
Note: Includes a graphic novel

52436760.jpeg

l7WweK5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the new TMNT movies were actually fun to watch. Kind of like the old TMNT cartoons, just CG. I do get the sense that this movie is not fun, which is probably the one thing you'd want from a film remake of a (super) cheap '90s schlock-fest.

And don't take this the wrong way, but I do take your film recommendations with a grain of salt.

Haha! I absolutely get that. I have... different tastes. I prefer films such as Arrival and The Neon Demon to Guardians of the Galaxy and Rogue One. I'd much rather watch a bad film that has some creative vision than I would a mind-numbingly generic Marvel film... I prefer The Ultimate Cut of BvS to Captain America Civil War.... a lot of these are unpopular opinions. But it's a perspective on the film nonetheless. Every movie is worth watching in my opinion- even the bad ones.

The newer TMNT film was the product of the Director being a fan of the original series- so tonally- that film was more on the nose of what it needed to be, however, since both the first and the second TMNT films have the same writing staff- it's really difficult to forgive the flaws of the second one- when a lot of what's broken in "Out of the Shadows" is due to the same issues that the first film had. My opinion on those TMNT movies are that they are both so tonally different because they are a byproduct of what a studio was looking for at the time of pre-production. The first TMNT film went in to Pre-Production at a time when the whole "Dark and Gritty" phase was at an all time high- and while the film is anything but gritty- you can see the films' attempt to take itself seriously... perhaps more so than it should. The second film is a product of Marvel's success- and thus, the tone, the quips, the banter- everything becomes lighter in tone and more "fun".

Power Rangers isn't something I'd describe as "fun", but it is a movie that feels like there were some genuine ideas to be had... meaning that the film (surprisingly) wasn't done solely by committee, but that there was a comprehensive vision of what kind of film the director wanted to make- and seeing people make movies that they want to make is automatically more enjoyable than a film that's haphazardly thrown together by a studio and engineered to be successful.

So is this exclusive a steelbook or regular packaging? I know the title says steelbook, so I am just confirming.

Power Rangers isn't something I'd describe as "fun", but it is a movie that feels like there were some genuine ideas to be had... meaning that the film (surprisingly) wasn't done solely by committee, but that there was a comprehensive vision of what kind of film the director wanted to make- and seeing people make movies that they want to make is automatically more enjoyable than a film that's haphazardly thrown together by a studio and engineered to be successful.

When you look at the number of writing credits this film had and how many rewrites it went through, it's easier to guess at what happened. There was a huge difference in tone and quality between the character development of the kids (which I agree was surprisingly good), anytime Rita had scenes, and then the finale. I suspect they smushed ideas from two or three different scripts together but didn't make enough adjustments to make it gel together. Elizabeth Banks seemed to be written and directed for a wildly different movie than what the kids were.

I didn't hate it either and I'm mildly interested in a steelbook depending on art/finish, but it's absolutely not going to be for everyone.

• Thanks
Reactions: FN-2187
When you look at the number of writing credits this film had and how many rewrites it went through, it's easier to guess at what happened. There was a huge difference in tone and quality between the character development of the kids (which I agree was surprisingly good), anytime Rita had scenes, and then the finale. I suspect they smushed ideas from two or three different scripts together but didn't make enough adjustments to make it gel together. Elizabeth Banks seemed to be written and directed for a wildly different movie than what the kids were.

I didn't hate it either and I'm mildly interested in a steelbook depending on art/finish, but it's absolutely not going to be for everyone.

Have you ever read the Max Landis script? Oh my gosh... it was horrible. xD

Have you ever read the Max Landis script? Oh my gosh... it was horrible. xD

I skim read it and well, I'm glad it wasn't used. :rofl: I would never expect a Power Ranger movie to be high art and I think it had some solid ideas for the Ranger-y parts of the script, which the actual movie face planted on, but some of that early character work was....something. It read like a mashup of Transformers and Scooby Doo more than Chronicle, imo.

• Thanks
Reactions: FN-2187
It's a steelbook. All of the threads in this forum are for steelbooks.

where is it confirmed. people are saying the steelbook release is a bestbuy release, not target. targets website doesn't even state its a steelbook. it could just be an exclusive disc. target is known to get exclusive discs. we need confirmation lol

where is it confirmed. people are saying the steelbook release is a bestbuy release, not target. targets website doesn't even state its a steelbook. it could just be an exclusive disc. target is known to get exclusive discs. we need confirmation lol

If it ends up not being a steelbook, we can move it to the correct section later, no biggie.

If it ends up not being a steelbook, we can move it to the correct section later, no biggie.

so dont you think the header to the thread should be renamed a lil? possible target steelbook? rather then misleading people into thinking it is a steelbook when the site doesn't even state it?

so dont you think the header to the thread should be renamed a lil? possible target steelbook? rather then misleading people into thinking it is a steelbook when the site doesn't even state it?

You could email Scanavo and Target and ask for confirmation on this if it is your prerogative.