May 30, 2014
Release date: 19th of October, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi - Live Sep 20, 2015 18:00 UK time
Price: £14.99
Note: Limited to 1000 copies

11164657-2844322249447457.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MRD and paulboland
UK Steelbook is the 55th Anniversary 4K remastered Disc and includes the new extras
It's already been confirmed its the new 4K transfer by members who already got the steelbook

I'm somewhat dubious about this, and I have been reading mixed reports regarding which version of the disc this is. Elsewhere, people have been reporting that their disc actually has 2010 printed on it, and the disc is identical to that of the existing Spartacus Blu-Ray that has been available since the 50th anniversary, yet here they are reporting that this is indeed the 55th anniversary restored edition in 4K. Which is it? Is it possible that there are both disc variants in circulation?

Still waiting for my SteelBook to arrive as it was only dispatched yesterday because I used a discount code.

I'm somewhat dubious about this, and I have been reading mixed reports regarding which version of the disc this is. Elsewhere, people have been reporting that their disc actually has 2010 printed on it, and the disc is identical to that of the existing Spartacus Blu-Ray that has been available since the 50th anniversary, yet here they are reporting that this is indeed the 55th anniversary restored edition in 4K. Which is it? Is it possible that there are both disc variants in circulation?

Still waiting for my SteelBook to arrive as it was only dispatched yesterday because I used a discount code.
The 2010 been printed on the Blu-ray is not what you go by that was Universal just using the previous disc artwork label and why the Disc looks the same at first glance to the 2010 50th Anniversary Disc

Its what the content of the Blu-ray itself is that counts

Its been 100% confirmed its the new restored 4K transfer the UK Disc its the same content as the 55th Anniversary USA Disc

The Disc has the 2 new extras which is only available on the new 55th Anniversary Disc and the end credits on screen of the film itself when blu-ray playing is listed as restored edition 2015 and has Audio 7.1

The 50th Anniversary Blu-ray Audio is English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
The 55th Anniversary Blu-ray Audio is English: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1
You cant get much clearer than the film end credits on screen telling you been watching the 2015 restored edition and it having the 2 new extras also the film having 7.1 Audio to make it clear its the correct disc

It was only the German steelbook the Disc had an error of wrong disc and why universal recalled all copies of that steelbook
USA/UK/Italy
The UK Disc is the 55th Anniversary restored edition with DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1

Last edited:
Just a quick word to those sitting on the fence or are still unsure about the new 55th Anniversary disc versus the 50th Anniversary edition disc I'd like to point out the DIFFERENCES IN THE APPEARANCE OF THE 2 DISCS when compared side-by-side:-

- Different positioning of studio logo (old: central just below hole and new: just to the right of hole in line with certifications)

- Different positioning of one certification (old: "12" in black circle not in line with other certifications and new: "12" in line)

- Different positioning of "TOUS PUBLICS" (old: to left of hole under BBFC stamps and new: under hole)

- Different box colour for the "F A C T" logo (old: black print in white rectangle and new: white print in black rectangle)

- 2 certifications missing on new disc ("FSK 12" in green square and smaller "PG" in yellow square)

- Different numbering/lettering (old: "25586 / G51 / R0" new: "25586 / UPB1 / R0")

Not that any of this should be necessary as it has been made abundantly clear, from the information kindly posted by @Lollard2002, that this new disc is indeed the correct re-mastered disc :)

Last edited:
Can only agree on the picture quality, I watched it and can confirm its a wonderful transfer so much nicer than any other version I have seen.
Colors were clear and sharp, no noise present worth mentioning, detail was great, some of the background mountains/clouds in certain scenes were excellent. All in all a fine example of a classic sword and sandal epic.
Cannot comment on the audio, it was late so had no sound via my amp just tv.

Just finished watching this and having seen it many times before since I was a boy I was quite literally blown away by the quality of the image . Think the 4K remaster of Lawrence of Arabia and that's what you're getting . Superb , the steelbook is a plain Jane , the movie is a stunner

Everybody who bought it did , if you like movies I can't see how you wouldn't have it in your movie collection , a brilliant cast as well .
I think you have completely misread my post, I was trying to say, as some like to point out when items sell out, that this had sold out days before my post, but nobody noticed, ie, no-one had posted the 'SOLD OUT' message as some do when items sell out prior to me informing people.

I NOTICED.

And just what makes you think I never ordered this?, you have no idea what my genre tastes are !.

I got my order in too when it went down in price, was a risk to wait even this long as this was limited and had the right disc, happy with the steelbook and disc. I forgot how long this was movie, used to watch on tv when I was younger, was one of those I never bought yet but was in my list. You never know with Zavvi if there will be more but I'd say this one is gone, went under £10 qucker than most movies.

Did anybody else notice the Spartacus 55th Anniversary Steelbook back on Zavvi today (24th Feb 2016)? I noticed when I was on my lunch break at work and it was priced at £19.99. I was too busy and I left it. I got home with the intention of buying ity but it has since disappeared from the website again. I'm kicking myself I didn't get it at the time. Zavvi is such a lottery some times!