Starcraft II

splax23

Premium Supporter
Jan 27, 2009
The D
I guess this is where this topic would go. Anyone sign up for the beta yet? I just did at Battle.net

I havent played a PC game in a long time but i used to like the first Starcraft so i figured i would give it a try. hopefully i get selected. I guess you are selected based on your PC specs

Wow... $60 for a third of a game. You can only play one of the races, the other two will be out later and will probably be priced much higher than they should be.

Plus they got rid of LAN play. I really hate to see these gaming companies get so greedy:angry:

WHAAAAAAAT? hmm, might be canceling now. one of the main reasons i was getting it was a buddy of mine in school was going to as well and we were gonna LAN it up like the old days.

booooo

EDIT:

found this on the SC2 site:

What is the StarCraft II Trilogy?

The StarCraft II Trilogy consists of the base StarCraft II game and two subsequent expansion sets. StarCraft II is subtitled Wings of Liberty (working title) and will include a lengthy single-player campaign that focuses on the terrans and puts players in the role of Jim Raynor, one of the series' main heroes. The first expansion set, Heart of the Swarm (working title), will follow later and include a single-player campaign focusing on the zerg and Kerrigan, Queen of Blades. The second expansion set, Legacy of the Void (working title), will continue the story experience with a single-player campaign centered on the protoss.

Will we still be able to play multiplayer matches of StarCraft II with all three races?

Yes! From the beginning, StarCraft II will be a fully featured multiplayer game, and all three races will be available for competitive play.

How will the expansion sets impact multiplayer gameplay?

The expansion sets will add new content to each race for use in multiplayer matches. This could include additions such as new units, abilities, and structures, along with new maps and Battle.net updates.

Last edited:
plus they are going to throw in new units and structures so that those of us who don't spend the extra cash will get our asses whooped online. I'm holding off for a while right now, what a total let down...

plus they are going to throw in new units and structures so that those of us who don't spend the extra cash will get our asses whooped online. I'm holding off for a while right now, what a total let down...

Dont they place you in a match based on your skill level? If you dont own the expansion they would still put you in a match with someone who does?

I have no idea....

But reviews have started coming in at amazon and they are not that good. One guy on there said he already beat the campaign.... and this thing is $60!!!EEK! There are several people complaining about lag as well... I guess battle.net could have that ironed out eventually but it still seems like waaaay too much money for what you're getting right now.

Apparently you cannot play at all without being online, even if you want to play by yourself.

ugh son of a B. i just read them too. I was excited, now i dunno. I think they need to fix some stuff before i go ahead and buy it. People are not happy

ugh son of a B. i just read them too. I was excited, now i dunno. I think they need to fix some stuff before i go ahead and buy it. People are not happy

read this on one of the amazon reviews. dude gave it 4 stars, but had this to say about:

DAMN IT JIM, WHERE IS THE REST OF THE GAME?
Why only 4 stars then? Well, in a nutshell: GREED.
Apparently BLIZZARD is trying to turn the StarCraft franchise into yet another World of WarCraft phenomenon - and, at the same time, using STARCRAFT II as the vehicle, BLIZZARD is trying to turn BattleNet into the new STEAM. Unfortunately this results in a barely palatable product and using your fan-base to advance your corporate ambitions is always tacky.
Although priced even more than a full premium game, this is not a complete STARCRAFT sequel. You would not know this by its price-tag(!) but this is only A...THIRD of the game, the first part of three: you can only play the Terran campaign. The Zerg and the Protoss campaigns will be released independently later (and priced as if they were full games, one could safely bet).
To add insult to injury, one has to keep spending even more money if he wants any "premium maps" and "premium units" sold only via the BattleNet. Since this is a game that will be played mostly online don't be quick to dismiss this if you have a competitive streak.

OK, LET'S NOT TALK ABOUT IT - BUT THERE IS A HYDRALISK IN THE ROOM, ISN'T THERE?
Much more serious is the NeverLettingGo-OnLineActivation requirement. The game will ask for activation during installation, which also includes signing up to BattleNet (and, yes, this means that even this expensive game never becomes yours to keep). But that is not all: a periodic OnLine confirmation is also required after that, FOREVER. Installed a patch? Reactivate. Added some maps? Reactivate.
Unlike the latest EA and UBISOFT flops which have an idiotic Always-ONLINE requirement, you can play a single player game (campaign and skirmishes) without logging on to BattleNet - only, to do this you have to log on as a ..."Guest" (I know, a Guest to your own game and your own computer...). You will be able to save your progress but you cannot tie it to your BattleNet account later, so any progress or accomplishments are lost for your online Account. You can decide if this bothers you. That is why a Broadband Internet connection is included in the minimum system requirements.

SORRY TO BRING THIS UP BUT SPAWN SEEMS TO BE MISSING FROM MY COPY...
Remember how we could take our original STARCRAFT CD to a gathering of friends, Spawn it on everyone else's PCs and start a LAN party? Now one can play with his friends only through the BattleNet - and the Spawn function has been eliminated! Yes, that means each one of your friends now has to have his own original copy of the game!
The brass at the top conveniently forgets that the ability to Spawn games was the main reason both STARCRAFT and DIABLO acquired such huge fan-bases.
Et tu, BLIZZARD?

I'm so disappointed, I really wanted to get into a new RTS game :(

I really hope they don't do this to Diablo III, I've been looking forward to that one for a while now.

me too, and i hate supporting companies that do stuff like this. i would feel bad if i canceled my preorder tho since i told my friend i would buy the game

I still want to buy it because I was probably not going to do much LAN battling, but I hate the obvious greed surrounding all these procedures. Plus I hate to pay extra for the campaigns that should have been included after this 12 year wait. I also hate how my stats will not count if I ever have to play offline.

I'll give it a week or two and wait to see what the concensus is after all the long-term fans stop griping about the lack of LAN play. I'm really not inclined to pay $60 for the terran only campaign though...

my buddy told me i was retarded because i was taking all these things in to consideration. But he also is in love with WOW and will never talk bad about blizzard. lol stupid blizzard.

out of all of these things the part that bothers me the most is the must be online component. You shouldn't purchase the "right" to play a game and be held back by not having internet access. If a game is going to have a single player campaign it should be able to work offline, and allow you to save achievements, etc...

Just screams too much control over the game and it doesn't allow you to enjoy the experience without being under the watchful eye of Blizzard.

Ugh, I'm such an obsessive compulsive retard that I had to go out and buy the game. It took me 4 hours to set up my new computer today... most of that time was spent on the phone with Verizon getting an update for the stinkin' router... but I'm finally installing the game.

I don't think I'll really get to play until tomorrow though, let me know if any of you guys get it and we can battle!

I will get it next week when i get paid. but first
wanna see if you or anyone else regrets buying it.:hilarious:

:squint:

I got it all installed last night and it was almost 10. I knew that if I started any kind of game up at all then I wouldn't be in bed before midnight... since I wake up at 5 for work I decided to postpone any gameplay until today.

I did watch the intro and get signed into battle.net. Registration was crazy easy, I think more of a big deal has been made than it really should have been. It took maybe 5 minutes. If you buy the game though, it's basically a short install off the CD, like 7 gigs, and an activation code that you redeem in your battle.net account. I think I got a couple coupons for 10 days of free WOW and Starcraft II for friends and some notepad thing with a starcraft player as a faded watermark logo.

The game set all the settings according to my graphics card, everything was on medium. I'm wondering if I can set some of them higher, maybe the shading or mirroring. My CPU never went above 12% during the install. I can't wait to play later today!

sweet thanks. I owe you a beer or two haha

EDIT: Hey do i have to download the game first to use the code?

Last edited:
I think you might. I didn't look at it too hard since I had a hard copy of the game, but it looked like a code very similar to the one I had for my game. I'm guessing that it is the same type of code, but it just let's you go online for 10 days so you probably do have to download the game.

damn lol. looks like i gotta get D/L. I started the the other and at 8pm and by the time i got home at 3pm the next day it was only like 15% done. stupid 7GB files.