SteelBook early notifications - How do you get this info?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2013
UK
Something I've been wondering to myself is: How do some of you guys get hold of information regarding forthcoming SteelBook releases before they're even listed on the Zavvi website? I've noticed that many links appear here on HDN long before they are able to be searched on Zavvi's site via their own search engine, which then get spread around the internet via the likes of Twitter...

I've also noticed that most of the direct links that you guys provide often have HDN attributes tagged onto the end of them, so is HDN part of some kind of affiliate scheme where you get rewarded for sharing these links and for getting clicks?

Reason I ask these questions is because I keep seeing random threads popping up on the forum, with nothing more than just a title. No picture, no URL, no other details. Just a "Coming soon" or "Watch this space" placeholder comment. What good is a thread with just a title anyway?

All too often I see these kind of threads posted, and then the next three or so pages of comments are of members being excited - All over a title and no evidence! Fair enough, these announcements are usually followed up a few days later with a link or other details, but in all honesty what's stopping any member here from randomly creating generic threads with just a title and little or no evidence to back it up? Whose information are we supposed to trust here?

With all due respect, the majority of recent new Zavvi exclusive SteelBook threads seem to be created by American members - So how would you get to know this information before anyone else in the UK? Do you get a heads-up eMail from Zavvi's PR? Or is the information leaked unofficially by Zavvi employees?

Any clarification by those in the know would be greatly appreciated! :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Maccadinho25
1899motivational-ninjas-theyre-everywhere.jpg

ninjas-theyre-everywhere.jpg

85077980-2da0-4a24-b406-0663c588fab9.jpg

Message from a Ninja

You're asking the wrong questions expecting to get the right answers. Ninjas work in the shadows to bring things to the light. What needs to be known is only what shall be revealed. Not a secret society, but something's are best kept secret. in short, some info requires a hire clearence. Just know that they are out there, working for you! :D ;)

Ultra Ninjas are everywhere. Silent Unseen unable to tell shadow from smoke to Ninja. It is an art of illusion and Mystery EEK!.

I myself stand in awe at thire workings and I prefer NOT to ask any questions :naughty:.

I follow the mantra of Pre order FIRST cancel later :thumbs:.

Thanks be given to ALL the Ninja's in the know and spreading the word of upcoming releases :drool:.

May it long continue and ALL our Blu Ray Steelbook wants come into the light from the dark shadows that Ninja's lurk on our behalf :oohyeah::D.

Reactions: Bluprint
Well rather than starting threads and just placing a title and no other info, could the staff wait until they have some concrete evidence to back it up? A link, picture, or a release date at the very least...

I'm fed-up of seeing SteelBook announcements on Twitter and other Blu-Ray forums which are nothing more than a title! As soon as a thread is posted here, it gets copied elsewhere. Like I said in my initial post, what's stopping Joe Bloggs from just posting a random thread title?

Reactions: Maccadinho25
Well rather than starting threads and just placing a title and no other info, could the staff wait until they have some concrete evidence to back it up? A link, picture, or a release date at the very least...

I'm fed-up of seeing SteelBook announcements on Twitter and other Blu-Ray forums which are nothing more than a title! As soon as a thread is posted here, it gets copied elsewhere. Like I said in my initial post, what's stopping Joe Bloggs from just posting a random thread title?

Why be annoyed? Which of the Zavvi ones (for example) are frustrating you for not coming into fruition? If Zavvi tell HDN that a Steelbook is happening then it falls through, is that reason enough to be fed up? Similarly any other retailer listing inaccurately by mistake will still end up on the forums. Big deal.

Nothing stops Joe Bloggs setting up a fake Terminator 3 thread. But Joe Bloggs won't get in many good books with his fellow collectors by doing that, even if he is having a good laugh at the expense of everyone else.

If you are bitter about some of these smaller issues then I think you have bigger issues to be concentrating on. Try spending less time reading too much into announcements on Twitter and other Blu-Ray forums. Anyway, round here they generally turn into fact ;)

It's worth noting that the threads with very little info are ones made by admins. They have contacts. They may not be able to confirm info on artwork, price or release dates yet, but they are eager to share the news with all of us.

The only thing your T3 troll thread will do is put them off announcing future releases until they have all the details. I for one am happy that they share such news with us, as we all get to be excited by it.

Reactions: flateric

You have just done what you are complaining about with the T3 thread you started with no info or links or conformation at all...:squint:
If that's supposed to be funny, then I am sure myself and quite a few other Ninjas are not laughing.

What is the point in posting a random thread to prove a point...? I agree with what earthscope said, why?

Many of the posts here are most likely done where those posting cannot reveal anything else or that they simply know only what they have told us, and they would not post without confirmation, i mean, they know it is happening, so they let us no, there is no need to question its authenticity... :dunno:
Out of all of these threads you are talking about (majority Zavvi) all start with just a title, but not one of these has turned out to be ingenuine...

What the hell is with that T3 thread? All you've potentially done is stopped anything being announced at an early stage in future.

You need to understand - the threads are created because the thread starter (usually an admin) has official news that the steelbook will be happening. The reason there is no information is because there isn't any yet.

I'm actually really annoyed by that fake T3 thread. Considering it's one we don't have in this country and one a lot of people need to complete a full UK Terminator set, a lot of people (myself included) will have got their hopes up having seen that. Pathetic, and all because you've got a bee in your bonnet about someone getting some news which 99% of the time turns out to be true. I hope you get banned.

Last edited:
It's worth noting that the threads with very little info are ones made by admins. They have contacts. They may not be able to confirm info on artwork, price or release dates yet, but they are eager to share the news with all of us.

The only thing your T3 troll thread will do is put them off announcing future releases until they have all the details. I for one am happy that they share such news with us, as we all get to be excited by it.

That's correct, a lot of us here at HDN have been the steelbook game from almost it's inception. We've developed a network of contacts from retailers, studios, regular people "a Billy on the street" type, and all kinds of folks.

So if you see a thread posted by a staff member or moderator, it's because we've gotten the heads up from one of our contacts and they are asking us to post the info - to give folks the advance word and in some ways gauge the response to the item coming out.

What the hell is with that T3 thread? All you've potentially done is stopped anything being announced at an early stage in future.

You need to understand - the threads are created because the thread starter (usually an admin) has official news that the steelbook will be happening. The reason there is no information is because there isn't any yet.

I'm actually really annoyed by that fake T3 thread. Considering it's one we don't have in this country and one a lot of people need to complete a full UK Terminator set, a lot of people (myself included) will have got their hopes up having seen that. Pathetic, and all because you've got a bee in your bonnet about someone getting some news which 99% of the time turns out to be true. I hope you get banned.

Thanks Woot - we've unapproved that thread so folks don't get confused as the OP of this thread was obviously trying to prove a point.

Honestly a T3 release would be interesting as fans of that movie only have a limited option to what was available in the past and it didn't blow anyone's socks off - so I'm sure people reading a thread like that would get confused easily.

So...to the OP, since members have pretty much answered your questions, I think it's now safe to lock this thread.

Remember, here at HDN we are much more open and straight forward about WHERE our information comes from - more so than any other forum I've been part of previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.