Premium Supporter
Dec 30, 2011
Up North Canada
Release date: October 10, 2016
Purchase links: Arrow Films - Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £17.99

13620997_1238081696225822_4687296925332259213_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
once in a while i do blind buys so thats what i did with this steel, i love the art as well so finally i saw this last night, i dont know why i was expecting high on the film, but its not my cup of tee....well i tried....
Fair do's, but for me this is one of the ( if not THE) top slashers ever, so much better than Friday the 13th. I've seen this on the cinema ( last time was a few weeks ago picturehouse central, London) a few times, and countless other times on video, dvd, and now blu. When i watched it the last time, after not watching it for a while, i was struck how well it is made - not just the teen dialogue ( which i do find quite realistic and also, dare i say, entertaining) but visually It is quite striking in places, alot of standout scenes in this - and not just the raft scene. The imagery is up there with the best of the slashers - a black gloved killer with savage and hostile intent, leaving carnage in his wake. The teens are likeable as well , not your usual annoying fair that you WANT to see meet their end.

• Thanks
Reactions: ghost1 and tono06
Fair do's, but for me this is one of the ( if not THE) top slashers ever, so much better than Friday the 13th. I've seen this on the cinema ( last time was a few weeks ago picturehouse central, London) a few times, and countless other times on video, dvd, and now blu. When i watched it the last time, after not watching it for a while, i was struck how well it is made - not just the teen dialogue ( which i do find quite realistic and also, dare i say, entertaining) but visually It is quite striking in places, alot of standout scenes in this - and not just the raft scene. The imagery is up there with the best of the slashers - a black gloved killer with savage and hostile intent, leaving carnage in his wake. The teens are likeable as well , not your usual annoying fair that you WANT to see meet their end.

I totally agree with you. I watched The Burning for the first time last weekend and was blown away by it. All the teens were likeable, killings were awesome, i think its better than Friday the 13th. Also didn't know a young holly hunter was in this.

I totally agree with you. I watched The Burning for the first time last weekend and was blown away by it. All the teens were likeable, killings were awesome, i think its better than Friday the 13th. Also didn't know a young holly hunter was in this.
Yeah, and that guy from Seinfeld as well. But it amazes me that quite a few horror movies from that era ( early '80s to mid/late 80s) still pack a big punch, 30 odd yesrs later. You don't view them for a long time then you revisit them and "BANG!" It's like, " So THAT'S how it should be done!". Sure, there's plenty of crap out there from that era, but there are also those that stand the test of time - this is one them.

Sleepaway Camp is also a favourite of mine from the 80's :thumbs:
Yeah, have heard of it but never seen it. When i went to see The Burning a few weeks ago, there was a guy who gave an introductory talk about the slasher genre, focusing on The Burning though, and he rated Sleepaway camp in his top three of the genre ( The Burning and Just before dawn were the other two). Can't remember his name but i think he was something to do with the BFI......i think. I will try to check that out at some point. The music at the start credits of Just before dawn is awesome - really captures the atmosphere of being lost in the vast woods, and sets up the movie nice. In fact, it makes that movie alot better for it.

• Thanks
Reactions: ghost1
Yeah, have heard of it but never seen it. When i went to see The Burning a few weeks ago, there was a guy who gave an introductory talk about the slasher genre, focusing on The Burning though, and he rated Sleepaway camp in his top three of the genre ( The Burning and Just before dawn were the other two). Can't remember his name but i think he was something to do with the BFI......i think. I will try to check that out at some point. The music at the start credits of Just before dawn is awesome - really captures the atmosphere of being lost in the vast woods, and sets up the movie nice. In fact, it makes that movie alot better for it.

• Thanks
Reactions: BluSteel2012
Just Before Dawn is one I haven't seen.

I must try and track it down. It's hard enough to come by and the Blu Ray is going for silly money!

Just Before Dawn is one I haven't seen.

I must try and track it down. It's hard enough to come by and the Blu Ray is going for silly money!
Oh, i didnt know it was on blu ray - i'm kind of hoping that Arrow Video will release it at some point. Last time i saw it was on my original pre cert video about 15 years ago. I dont remember it being particularly strong. Dont get me wrong, it was good, and i will get it if it gets a UK blu release, but the thing i remember about it most is the music - in some ways it made the movie for me.

12th October

. . . and finally (a week later) !

One of our customer services advisors has reviewed your query and we are able to confirm the following:
Hello Nicholas,
Thank you for getting in touch about your query.
At the moment we have stopped taking orders for this item and are awaiting stock from our supplier.
In regards to you asking about cancellations if we have any in the future the stock will go back onto our website so please keep an eye out for this.
If there is anything else that we can do, then please do not hesitate to get in touch and a member of our team will be happy to help.
Kind regards,
Oliver
Zavvi.com Customer Service Team[/QUOTE]
http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/the-bu...s-dvd-limited-edition-steelbook/11317763.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most unfortunate that 88 Films were unable to get hold of the first SLEEPAWAY CAMP to make up a nice "Slasher Collection" boxset in the style of the well-priced first 3 films in THE CHILDREN OF THE CORN boxset (GBP 17.99).
Apparently they even left the previous number free before SWC 2 & 3 to include SWC 1 but it wasn't to be :(

• Thanks
Reactions: Sigill