The Crow (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Nov 5, 2012
Newark, Nottinghamshire
Release date: May 18, 2015
Purchase link: The Crow
Price: £16.99
Notes: Limited to 2500 Copies. Gloss Finish.

crow.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
preordered because i like the movie, but i dont expect that much from the finish and steelbook itself.

The UK Blu-ray from EiV has apparently been transferred from a PAL master and suffers from the 4% PAL speedup, common to European DVD's. The image is 1080i (interlaced), as opposed to the normal 1080p (progressive), and the disc only has a lossy DTS 5.1 soundtrack. Just for good measure, the picture quality is atrocious, redolent of an upscale from a DVD.

Don't just take my word for it. Click on the link for a comparison of the US, UK and Japanese Blu-rays.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews55/the_crow_blu-ray.htm

That seems like the Japan disc would be the one to have. I noticed some cropping in some of the U.S. screenshots. Colors look a little better though

U.S. Contrast and color is better- but definitely pushing in on the image. Cutting off heads, and throwing off the composition of the frame. (I've seen worse- losing headroom is one thing. Cutting off the tops of heads? Come on.)
Hoping for the best (but not expecting it).

Reactions: dfoles and augustus
I like the artwork, shame it's not going to be given a new disc treatment though
Are we sure on that? Is it for sure not a new transfer?
I hate swapping out discs. And I also hate having to settle on the lesser of two evils on transfers...
Disc a) Great picture. Crap sound. Disc b) Great sound. Incorrect framing. Et Cetera.

Well. a few of us here have said we've ordered one, myself included.

It's a popular movie, both in general and cult terms and (assuming the design doesn't change) is quite an appealing design. While the quality of the disc is questionable (assuming that it stays the same too), not everyone is that clued up, cares/will notice or might do a disc-swap somewhere down the line.

That doesn't mean there's only 200 left, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility (at least until people cancel or CC's get declined).

I ordered 2 because I knew this would sell out faster than Departed and Gangs of NY.

The original Crow is a Huge cult film and if they only had 2500 I'm sure they could move that in a pinch.

I ordered one, I do think the price was steep though. I think this will be the type of release that gets a lot of cancellations so I'd say there probably is used 200 left but will be a few hundred back soon after cancellations. That's my guess!

The UK Blu-ray from EiV has apparently been transferred from a PAL master and suffers from the 4% PAL speedup, common to European DVD's. The image is 1080i (interlaced), as opposed to the normal 1080p (progressive), and the disc only has a lossy DTS 5.1 soundtrack. Just for good measure, the picture quality is atrocious, redolent of an upscale from a DVD.

Don't just take my word for it. Click on the link for a comparison of the US, UK and Japanese Blu-rays.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews55/the_crow_blu-ray.htm

Whats the abbreviation EiV that is used here ?

How is this still in stock?

Email arrived on 3rd Jan to notify start of pre-order
On the 5th Jan, email arrived to notify only under 200 copies left (that's over 2300 sold in 2 days!!)
24 hours later and still in stock.