The Game (1997) (Blu-ray SteelBook) [Germany]

Mar 15, 2017
Release date: August 10, 2017
Purchase link: Amazon DE
Price: €12.99

81PWVDaTC7L._SX425_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe not original poster artwork on this new one - as seen on the back of the U.K. steelbook release - and iI wouldn't mind having the same back artwork here too:-

U.K. steelbook artwork very interesting with the its de-bossed puppet and poor old Michael Douglas coming apart piece by piece. Not however a popular steelbook with its very matte finish and quality control issues most noticeable against the black background. Sold out now it may be over three years later but it did hang around for a good while before ending up ignominiously in the bargain bin for something like 7 quid before the remainder of the 4,000 could be shifted.

This new one should look considerably better than the U.K. edition and could be very, very special if full gloss treated and even better with central image embossed within a frame but maybe unlikely for the modest price . . .
Anniversary sticker more than likely on the C-card / J-card and not printed on the steelbook itself . . . hopefully the same with the title as it looks kind of silly the way it's arranged in the mock-up. A clean print-free front doesn't necessarily make the steelbook inferior although if could be argued in the case of the U.K. release that a de-bossed title under the de-bossed puppet would have worked well.

Great to see another excellent film being granted a steelbook release/re-release after the news of steelbooks for SE7EN, AMERICAN HISTORY X (and THE GREEN MILE) . . . and as far as David Fincher films go THE GAME is one of only three of his films that I personally rate highly.
(for a non Fincher film but with M. Douglas as star I'd love to see a FALLING DOWN steelbook).

Final trivia titbit:
Not book based with story idea apparently lifted from an episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents HAPPY BIRTHDAY" from March 1986.

Quick reminder of THE GAME steelbook (Zavvi exclusive U.K. release from November 2013) plus Hitch's "Happy Birthday":-
II
V

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranavalone
Maybe not original poster artwork on this new one - as seen on the back of the U.K. steelbook release - and iI wouldn't mind having the same back artwork here too:-

U.K. steelbook artwork very interesting with the its de-bossed puppet and poor old Michael Douglas coming apart piece by piece. Not however a popular steelbook with its very matte finish and quality control issues most noticeable against the black background. Sold out now it may be over three years later but it did hang around for a good while before ending up ignominiously in the bargain bin for something like 7 quid before the remainder of the 4,000 could be shifted.

This new one should look considerably better than the U.K. edition and could be very, very special if full gloss treated and even better with central image embossed within a frame but maybe unlikely for the modest price . . .
Anniversary sticker more than likely on the C-card / J-card and not printed on the steelbook itself . . . hopefully the same with the title as it looks kind of silly the way it's arranged in the mock-up. A clean print-free front doesn't necessarily make the steelbook inferior although if could be argued in the case of the U.K. release that a de-bossed title under the de-bossed puppet would have worked well.

Great to see another excellent film being granted a steelbook release/re-release after the news of steelbooks for SE7EN, AMERICAN HISTORY X (and THE GREEN MILE) . . . and as far as David Fincher films go THE GAME is one of only three of his films that I personally rate highly.
(for a non Fincher film but with M. Douglas as star I'd love to see a FALLING DOWN steelbook).

Final trivia titbit:
Not book based with story idea apparently lifted from an episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents HAPPY BIRTHDAY" from March 1986.

Quick reminder of THE GAME steelbook (Zavvi exclusive U.K. release from November 2013) plus Hitch's "Happy Birthday":-
II
V

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

It was the matte finish that destroyed the steelbook for me. No matter what artwork it is, that poor finish renders the steelbook and artwork useless as it feels so cheap and rushed something that is found on a happy shopper 2 for the price of 1. If it had a nice clean quality finish it would bring out some life into this steel. But at £6.99 I think I paid, well the old saying 'you pay what you get'.

^ For me the artwork comes first, the finish second - but that's just me :)
How so? you may ask.
Simple, really, because you can't change the artwork no matter how skillful you may be but you can change the finish without too much trouble with a can of spray gloss varnish and you can even arrange spine titles on the rarest of occasions when none are presented.

N.B."You get what you pay for"

Last edited:
^ For me the artwork comes first, the finish second - but that's just me :)
"You get what you pay for"

Remember this steel? T2 Amazon CA exclusive? Now this time I did't get what I paid! I paid full price for this and shipping.
Love the artwork. It was one of the worst finishes I have ever seen. Another perfect example how the finishes can ruin the steel regardless of artwork.

Do you have this by any chance?
81PxDsYj3KL._AA1500_.jpg

Oh there's a steelbook for this movie ? Well I'll buy this for sure, one more step toward my complete David Fincher Steelbook collection :drool:

Remember this steel? T2 Amazon CA exclusive? Now this time I did't get what I paid! I paid full price for this and shipping.
Love the artwork. It was one of the worst finishes I have ever seen. Another perfect example how the finishes can ruin the steel regardless of artwork.

Do you have this by any chance?
81PxDsYj3KL._AA1500_.jpg
No, alas, just got the U.K. two:-
II
V
upload_2017-4-30_16-34-42.png

006)%20E%20Blu-Ray%20Terminator%202%20-%20Judgement%20Day%20-%20Skynet%20Edition%20Open%20Front%20&%20Back.jpg
006)%20G%20Blu-Ray%20Terminator%202%20-%20Judgement%20Day%20-%20Skynet%20Edition%20Inside%20with%20Disc.jpg
006)%20H%20Blu-Ray%20Terminator%202%20-%20Judgement%20Day%20-%20Skynet%20Edition%20No%20Disc%20or%20Leaflet.jpg

upload_2017-4-30_16-40-36.png
upload_2017-4-30_16-41-46.png
upload_2017-4-30_16-42-22.png

No inside artwork on either.
Can safely say that neither of the U.K. T 2 steelbooks are the best out there . . . that's for sure.

Not sure why I am looking at loads of crap T2 steels but this looks like a turd.
Poor design big time, the old UK one is better and once you slap the Criterion disk and booklet in you are sorted.