The Great Wall (4K + 2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

luke98

Premium Supporter
Jun 30, 2014
Alexandria Safe-Zone
Release date: June 12, 2017
Purchase links: Zavvi (Live February 22 at 12 PM)
Price: £32.99
Notes: Limited to 500

C5NQrVGWcAISiR3.jpg

C5NQtamWAAAYWlr.jpg
C5NQv_KWQAENh8g.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Strangerbyday
Have you seen how much Asian retailers charge for a Blu-ray only barebones Steelbook release? Feel free to have a look and come back to us.

Check how much Amazon are asking for 4K + 2D Steelbooks, so nothing surprising here although I admit it is on the higher side.

I know. I've purchased many Asian steelbooks in the past. I'm comparing the price of this to the price of 4k steelbooks I'm buying in the US. I dont think I paid more than $30 for any of mine, due to promotions and or sales. That's why I said I'll wait for what the US has. The last Bourne steel, also Universal, I want to say was $27.99 at Best Buy.

I know. I've purchased many Asian steelbooks in the past. I'm comparing the price of this to the price of 4k steelbooks I'm buying in the US. I dont think I paid more than $30 for any of mine, due to promotions and or sales. That's why I said I'll wait for what the US has. The last Bourne steel, also Universal, I want to say was $27.99 at Best Buy.

You can't compare US prices Vs ROW where we are ripped off.

4k telly that cost $2000 in the US costs 2000 pounds here. Same goes to iPhone, cars and many more items.

You can't compare US prices Vs ROW where we are ripped off.

4k telly that cost $2000 in the US costs 2000 pounds here. Same goes to iPhone, cars and many more items.

Just saying the price is too high for me compared to what I've bought locally in the past. This is limited and may have a better finish than what the US might get but it's not worth the extra money to me.

Reactions: lgans316
Just saying the price is too high for me compared to what I've bought locally in the past. This is limited and may have a better finish than what the US might get but it's not worth the extra money to me.

I understand that mate. I am sure in 1-2 years the price will drop. I remember paying top $ when Blu-ray was in its early days.

Remember those days we used to get Double and Triple Plays but once Blu-ray kind of became mainstream we (Rest of the world) are seeing very less of it but the price has stayed the same.

• Thanks
Reactions: darczap
probably get attacked for this but my advice,
zavvi are testing the water here so stay well clear of it,
if enough bite and make the purchase zavvi will see this as acceptable,
and will make this a sure thing of the future, and we will all be paying 30 plus for steelbooks,
stop it now before its to late,

I agree. I am in two minds about the inclusion of 4K discs. There is certainly an argument that Steelbooks should be the most premium release, so as 4K is the current 'gold' standard including it makes sense. But if you look on Amazon, for example, most 4K blu-rays with amaray casing cost £20-£25. The markup on a 4K steelbook in this instance is way too much! Also, I do not own a 4K TV and will be unable to float one past the wife (or daughter) for quite a while!!! So on the assumption I am not alone, releasing high-priced 4K discs significantly reduces the market size.

I preordered only since its supposedly 500 copies. If US gets it and has 4k it will surely be $10 cheaper atleast so I will cancel then.

I agree. I am in two minds about the inclusion of 4K discs. There is certainly an argument that Steelbooks should be the most premium release, so as 4K is the current 'gold' standard including it makes sense. But if you look on Amazon, for example, most 4K blu-rays with amaray casing cost £20-£25. The markup on a 4K steelbook in this instance is way too much! Also, I do not own a 4K TV and will be unable to float one past the wife (or daughter) for quite a while!!! So on the assumption I am not alone, releasing high-priced 4K discs significantly reduces the market size.

As I said, the format is in its early day. Early adopters pay high price. We will start RRP to cool down a bit but remember 1 disc Blu-ray Amaray is priced 14.99 consistently so it makes sense to price 4k + Blu-ray at 20-25.
Having said that HMV are running 2 for 30 promo on select 4K titles. Amazon.co.uk were offering entire Universal 4K + blu-ray titles for 13 which IMO is a good price.

Dispatched here too! Can't wait to rewatch this one... I have very fond memories of watching it as a kid.

As I said, the format is in its early day. Early adopters pay high price. We will start RRP to cool down a bit but remember 1 disc Blu-ray Amaray is priced 14.99 consistently so it makes sense to price 4k + Blu-ray at 20-25.
Having said that HMV are running 2 for 30 promo on select 4K titles. Amazon.co.uk were offering entire Universal 4K + blu-ray titles for 13 which IMO is a good price.

But the difference between 1080p blu-ray disc and 4k blu-ray disc is negligible (funny word :hilarious:) so the price shouldn't be almost doubled. It's a marketing strategy to make a ton more money which I'm not buying into. I would buy every 4K disc for €19.99 but prices start at roughly €25.99 all the way up to €39.99 which is absurd to say the least. I'll wait for them to drop in price substantially before committing to spending my hard earned moneyz :)

Edit: The good things is, though, that 4K disc prices drop so quickly that it's worth the wait.

Just got out of the cinema to see this. Good film but a bit confused as to whether it wants to be an eastern or western film. And as much as I think kids Matt Damon is a great actor I thought he was the weak link in this. Would have been better if it had stayed true to its cultural roots and gone down the Hero path. Would get it but £32.99? I'll give it a pass.

Last edited:
Zavvi twitter has this post
ONLY 50 UNITS REMAINING! @thegreatwall - 4K UHD Limited Edition SteelBook Blu-ray (1080p Blu-ray also included)

Screenshot (57).png

probably get attacked for this but my advice,
zavvi are testing the water here so stay well clear of it,
if enough bite and make the purchase zavvi will see this as acceptable,
and will make this a sure thing of the future, and we will all be paying 30 plus for steelbooks,
stop it now before its to late,
High price, limited quantity, new standard (4k) !? They are trying to kill 3d slowly, and make 4k appear super duper ! (It's JUST an increase in resolution, unlike 3d which IS a different viewing experience altogether !!!!). The steelbook looks lame ! This is just the beginning ! More 4k, less 3d ? Why don't they just release the steelbook on it's own ! and let everyone choose their flavour !

• Thanks
Reactions: yardman