The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Ext. Edition) (3D+2D Jumbo Blu-ray SteelBook) [UK]

snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: November 11th, 2013
Purchase links:
Amazon.co.uk
Base.com
Sainsbury's
Zavvi.com

Notes: 5 discs
Features a 13-Minute Longer Cut and 
 Nearly Nine Hours of New Special Features

91Un7PuTkdL._SL1500_.jpg

91ESZk0KjnL._SL1500_.jpg

Attachments

• thumb.jpg
    thumb.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 297
Last edited by a moderator:
Arrived today. I don't mind the jumbo, as for a film like this and the LOTR trilogy, it gives that that kind of large book look on my shelf like my old extended LOTR DVD sets......only steel. XD

So yeah, hoping they continue steeling the other 2 films and make the extended ones jumbo so they match my first one...

...and maybe get on with some UK LOTR steels for that matter?

Reactions: chronicpoetic
Having buyer's remorse on this one - I like the steel but the regular slipcase version is really nice now that I've seen it instore. Mind you, the DVD version is even nicer without the lenticular cutout. Shame it has DVDs in it!

Having buyer's remorse on this one - I like the steel but the regular slipcase version is really nice now that I've seen it instore. Mind you, the DVD version is even nicer without the lenticular cutout. Shame it has DVDs in it!

Regular slip version like the book is really really nice ... the one for me for sure buddy .... that steel is ghastly and horrid :scat:

mhhhh i got my JUMBO steelbook today... WITHOUT german language... i have contact amazon via chat. I will get a refund and keep the steelbook for free :-O

It's stuff like this that is bumping up prices on Steelbooks. People have taken advantage of Amazon's good nature too many times and now we are paying the price.

Or you can return it since it's your own damn fault for not reading the thread...why do you want a dubbed version anyway? Listen to the original language with subtitles, the way it was meant to be heard.

Yeah it's his fault that Amazon lists German Audio in the description when it's not on the discs (ironic).

Couldn't it also be that his copy was shipped BEFORE it was stated in this thread that there is no german audio on the discs? Lets search this thread....oh yeah it was stated on the 11th the first time and since a shipment from the UK to Germany needs needs more than two days...well you can figure out the rest yourself.

Picked this up today in HMV for £16.99, it's not as bad to look at as I thought it would be. Would still have preferred it be a normal sized box but it looks ok on my steels shelf.

Pacific Rim 3D was also in stock for £15.99. It's pretty naff, the pics shown on here do it far more justice than in the flesh. :)

Reactions: AgentMcQueen
I'm wondering if maybe he stacked the Appendices discs

You are indeed correct. If you are lucky you can stack the two discs on the actual insert. So in theory you can carry up to 6 discs inside comfortably.
Note that these Steelbooks are scratch magnets. I had to open 5 in my local HMV before I found an almost scratch free case.

Last edited:
Printed internal artwork for my copy, the spine is all finished. Just waiting for my copy of Shawshank Redemption to arrive so that I have a 4 disc insert for my "Operation"

Shawshank arrived this morning. Just completed the slimming down of my jumbo.

image_zps804f00a7.jpg

image_zpse4fe05fd.jpg

image_zps02156b29.jpg

image_zpscfdb361e.jpg

image_zps7eba9f2d.jpg

image_zpsaf19eddd.jpg
Great job Blu :) considering doing the how to? And you did print the spine artwork yourself? I'm interested doing some mod myself, or if you already did, would you be able to show me the way? Thank you in advance :)

Shawshank was the UK 4 disk version. I only needed the BDs, so I put that in a 1 disc insert and put inside art in for that one. I then used the 4 disc insert for Hobbit. Added some interior art. The spine is a direct scan of my Hong Kong Hobbit theatrical SteelBook printed onto adhesive paper and a layer of 3M magic tape applied to prevent wearing & tearing.
Hope this is of help.
BTW what part of Bangkok do you reside? I was initially near the Democracy Monument and later North, by Don Meaung/Pathum Thani/ Nonthaburi border.

Last edited:
Mine arrived yesterday. This is my first jumbo. While not as sexy and sleek as a normal steel, I really like having the 2D version on disc vs. the streaming deal.