The Lion King (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

Mar 15, 2017
Release date: August 29, 2017
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $29.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

lionking.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't deny that the artwork leaves something to be desired, but I missed the previous releases so I will be grabbing one of these when they are available. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of a U.S. wave of Disney titles from Best Buy - and just as hopefully, maybe they will spend additional time on the cover designs for that wave.

Meh. I've got the Zavvi lenticular release and I've preordered the digibook. I like the colors on the digibook better. Not impressed by the design on this one.

Meh. I've got the Zavvi lenticular release and I've preordered the digibook. I like the colors on the digibook better. Not impressed by the design on this one.

But it's glossed!!! What more do you want? Embossing?!!!

Art no longer matters these days. It's all about gloss!!! :D

But it's glossed!!! What more do you want? Embossing?!!!

Art no longer matters these days. It's all about gloss!!! :D

What matters most on steels for me:

1. Art/colors
2. Gloss/finish (zero finish can be used well)
3. Embossing/debossing

If there weren't a fabulous digibook being offered for Lion King's latest re-release I'd be with you there. But why'd they choose a black background for the steel?? The digibook's beautiful and features Pride Rock and a few other characters like Timon and Pumbaa. I'm hoping for all of you guys getting this one that it looks fantastic in hand, I'm not sure there's been a Lion King steel released in the US before!

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
What matters most on steels for me:

1. Art/colors
2. Gloss/finish (zero finish can be used well)
3. Embossing/debossing

If there weren't a fabulous digibook being offered for Lion King's latest re-release I'd be with you there. But why'd they choose a black background for the steel?? The digibook's beautiful and features Pride Rock and a few other characters like Timon and Pumbaa. I'm hoping for all of you guys getting this one that it looks fantastic in hand, I'm not sure there's been a Lion King steel released in the US before!

It is a strange looking steelbook I admit and I'm not sure if The Lion King has been released in Canada before.
If it was, it was before my steelbook collecting time.
I often see people complaining that Canada doesn't receive enough Disney steelbooks.

Just a couple of examples that Canada didn't receive are Moana and Finding Dory.

Even stranger is the fact that the Best Buy Canada site still doesn't have an official artwork showing for the Lion King. But it is most likely the same as the US version.

They're still showing this!

m2225195.jpg

Last edited:
That logo is no bueno. I bet if they had shown the full artwork it wouldn't sell well at all.