The Lion King (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

Mar 15, 2017
Release date: August 29, 2017
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $29.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

lionking.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't stand the "Disney" between the L & I, "the" in the O or the weird signature circle thing but I like the rest for some reason

If it didn't have those i would track this down. But major fail because of those issues

Can't stand the "Disney" between the L & I, "the" in the O or the weird signature circle thing but I like the rest for some reason

If it didn't have those i would track this down. But major fail because of those issues
Same here. Having it in hand didn't change my mind

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
I broke down and bought it more for the digital copy so my kids can watch it and the fact that I only owned an empty viva metalbox of it. I still hate the artwork will likely put the discs in my Viva which was a 100 times better

My in store pick up order had a spine slash. Had them cancel it and will try my luck tomorrow at another store

think I am in the minority, but I think this looks really good in hand. I was not a fan of the art, but I purchased it because I did not own the lion king at all and the price was right.

Yes, I can see "HON THE KING" as the title as I'm sure can many others
upload_2017-8-30_14-2-15.png
and it's a bit of a shocker / stinker from what I can see . . . although I don't have it in front of me I don't think I've been more flabbergasted by the design of a steelbook front in the past ten years.

Not content with keeping that absurdly weird title layout they've gone and printed
upload_2017-8-30_13-36-5.png
this circular signature thingumabob on to the actual steelbook right in the middle of the artwork . . . with dome-shaped J-card so you can't see the printed signature disc/coin underneath when sealed
upload_2017-8-30_13-35-9.png
. . . smart move to trip up those not regular on steelbook forums!

On the other hand I can kind of understand this release IF the plan is to bring out a whole bunch of these steelbooks - all with the signature discs - if only to make a matching set of sorts.

Glossy it may be with a skyscraper-like de-bossed title . . . I'd take either U.K. release before this insult to steelbooks in general and to LION KING steelbooks in particular and when I think of polishing a turd in relation to steelbooks this is the one that will come to mind.

RE: FREE FILM CELL - ". . . included with this set is a strip of three 35mm film cells on a hard stock paper card with the seminal moment of Simba being raised up over pride rock. However, these are not original film cells from prints, these were printed from digital archive files specifically for this release." (Hi Def Digest)
N.B. everyone will get the exact same cells.

DVD instead of 3D (or 4K when released) is pants!

What's on the disc in the way of Special Features although I believe some are download only and not on the actual disc:-
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/arti...w-lion-king-walt-disney-signature-collection/

As for the OTHER Signature Edition - the digibook from Target - I'm thinking that that artwork is a sight more interesting:-
4e0f886cf31476a7d4e4d2f01f7047dc.jpg
f6b060750397334db2b20652231a11fe.jpg
e47cabb1bedda2a4c53ec8cc40e69041.jpg
6ab7489ab72cfc1d88613c286cac753d.jpg

Brief look at what's gone before . . .
UK (Dec. 2014) ------------------------- UK (Dec. 2016) ------------ almost everywhere (Oct. 2011) ----------- U.S.---------------------------------------------------------------- The Americas (Aug. 2017)
110389_large.jpg
166351_large.jpg
119856_large.jpg
upload_2017-8-30_14-57-7.png
-------------------------
upload_2017-8-30_14-16-34.png

This one . . . up close and personal:-
IMG_20170823_072858482.jpg
IMG_20170823_072915936.jpg

DifYuNB.jpg
rRtxPTB.jpg
be7e7b420d16273d539e9aee2b17f1be.jpg
f416f164e3ef1747fff5984d36165791.jpg

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: lgans316 and dfoles
A simple adjustment to the position of the "Disney" logo would have improved the look of this steelbook no end . . . exactly as on the discs or as on the other Signature Edition releases.
That being said, if the title had to be this oversized then I'm thinking there's not enough space above it for the "Disney" logo so they had no choice but to insert it clumsily in the only available space . . .

Less elongated title with the "Disney" logo above the "O" would have been perfect or just smaller "Disney" logo.
. . . and, anyway, the "Disney" logo should not be part of the title . . . previously it has always preceded or followed the title.

upload_2017-9-4_13-21-51.png

Anyway, apart from the clunky title style, this steelbook does look reasonable fine and smartly elegant with decent artwork - especially on the back (dramatic) and inside (cute) - in a full gloss finish and with a de-bossed title that spreads out over half of the front.
As for the colouring - as we can see it's quite different to the look and colouring of previous releases.

Brief unboxing of this Signature Collection steelbook:-

Regarding the Signature Collection - I believe this is the first steelbook but there have been a few in other packaging (Amarays and Digibooks, Blu-rays and even standalone DVDs) including SNOW WHITE AND THE SEVEN DWARFS, BEAUTY AND THE BEAST, PINOCCHIO and BAMBI apart from THE LION KING . . . and the question remains "As this is listed as a Signature Collection release are they going to go back and release Signature Collection steelbooks for SNOW WHITE, BatB, PINOCCHIO and BAMBI?' and "Is there going to be a set of Signature Collection steelbooks?".

Some of the Signature Collection already released:-
184144_large.jpg
181840_large.jpg
178793_large.jpg
172263_large.jpg
103613_large.jpg
170213_large.jpg
144704_large.jpg
145643_large.jpg
158280_large.jpg

137543_large.jpg
170213_large.jpg
131327_large.jpg

Can't get my head around that title treatment no matter how hard I try and at first sight I still see HON THE KING / THE HON KING:-
DKNze5fVYAAPsKw.jpg:large

DKNze5bUMAEGw7r.jpg:large

DKNze5cUMAAy4zF.jpg:large

DKNze5gUIAA0Nes.jpg:large

Last edited:
Reactions: lgans316