Tracking your pre-orders-how do you prefer to manage?

Strikeman

Master of Coin Ninja
Premium Supporter
Mar 12, 2013
Acheron (LV-426)
Touché, albeit I have tried this method and at times I have ended up not cancelling due to a steelbook being sold out and living myself stuck financially. Like have you any idea how hard it is to cancel an already sold out steelbook? Knowing you will not have the chance to get it again, while also bearing in mind you cannot afford the steelbook at this time in your life. Then there are the times when the money is taken earlier than expected and you don't cancel in time and it's like **** I wasn't expecting the money to go that quickly. The original post was satirical and not meant in bad form. But it also has an underlying theme that not everything is black and white when it comes to 'just pre-order and worry later.' I love collecting steelbooks and I started before I had other life commitments and many more work hours, but it's hard to simply stop. I am a moment where I have to pick and choose, and choose wisely. However I failed to pull the trigger in time on this one. You live and learn.

I have all of my pre-orders listed in a spreadsheet, ordered by release date. I have 2 columns that calculate the days remaining until release, and the days remaining +7 days and I use this +7 days column to act as a min threshold for cancellation so I know if that column is at zero, I have 7 days before release and should really make the decision to cancel now in case the retailer takes the payment in the next day or so.

For example my steel at the top at the moment is Place Beyond The Pines, the release date is 5th August so I am making the decision today whether to cancel or keep it in place.

There or thereabouts, I basically order most things (UK predominately) and cancel closer the time based on the current money situation, thread chatter, artwork, retailer statements etc. Its more like a reserve list really

I have all of my pre-orders listed in a spreadsheet, ordered by release date. I have 2 columns that calculate the days remaining until release, and the days remaining +7 days and I use this +7 days column to act as a min threshold for cancellation so I know if that column is at zero, I have 7 days before release and should really make the decision to cancel now in case the retailer takes the payment in the next day or so.

For example my steel at the top at the moment is Place Beyond The Pines, the release date is 5th August so I am making the decision today whether to cancel or keep it in place.

Nice. Yes I do something similar. Except I went a bit further. I added a macro that analyzes the information and updates with the click of a button. So all I do is enter my order (item, price, shipping cost, date) and click the update button. It then automatically readjusts my lists to put my preorders in chronological date order. Then off the the right, I have a formula pull the current exchange rate from the internet (plus a built in Zavvi/Amzn rate overestimation.. hehe) so that I know exactly how much USD I need in my account on each date. :thumbs:

My first real test was my Aladdin order, which actually included 1 Taxi Driver for a different date, so it was cool to see it working to separate the orders into multiple dates. Aug/Sept/Oct though... based on what I'm seeing (between Zavvi/Amazon) I might need to mortgage my house. lol EEK!:ohno:

Reactions: hiratafabio
wow that's impressive. And I thought I was cutting edge using current exchange rate data for my spreadsheets. I basically have the same setup sans the macro auto-update functionality. Is this an excel file you are willing to share?

wow that's impressive. And I thought I was cutting edge using current exchange rate data for my spreadsheets. I basically have the same setup sans the macro auto-update functionality. Is this an excel file you are willing to share?

Sure. But I tried uploading an excel file and this site won't accept it. I also made a sweet Zavvi discount code calculator that determines which code is best based on which combo of steelbooks you are buying. So for example, if 4 off 40 gets you the best deal, the Discount 4 column lights up green automatically and puts the total in that particular column. If your order is slightly over 50, then the Discount 5 code lights up green and puts all the totals in that column. Basically it quickly does the work for you to help figure out the best combo for which code to use. I used this when a big frenzy of steels were coming out like rocketeer, dick tracy, tron, and many others. I haven't built in the 6 off 60 and other codes, but maybe I will someday. I love building sheets like this.

anyway, if I could share an excel file here, I would be willing. :dunno:

CLICK SPOILER FOR PREVIEW

zavvicodes_zps5542430c.jpg

zavvicodes2_zpsd004a706.jpg

Liking it mate, I havent used macro's for years so wouldnt know where to start with those but I like the idea!

With regards to your discount checker, does this do anything fancy other than check which discount code is applicable to the spend? So it looks at the total order value and just shows you which discount code you should be using, so a £59 spend churns out a £5 off £50 result and £49 churns out a £4 off £40 result. Isn't this obvious without having to punch it in??

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

PS. Thanks for the exchange rate idea, I am going to look into adding it into mine to have a better grip on some of the currencies I'm unfamiliar with (mostly Asian currencies!)

Liking it mate, I havent used macro's for years so wouldnt know where to start with those but I like the idea!

With regards to your discount checker, does this do anything fancy other than check which discount code is applicable to the spend? So it looks at the total order value and just shows you which discount code you should be using, so a £59 spend churns out a £5 off £50 result and £49 churns out a £4 off £40 result. Isn't this obvious without having to punch it in??

---------- Post added at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

PS. Thanks for the exchange rate idea, I am going to look into adding it into mine to have a better grip on some of the currencies I'm unfamiliar with (mostly Asian currencies!)

Yep. That's the general idea. It also calculates price per steelbook after discount is applied, so you can figure out which discount level to use. The real reason I made it is because Zavvi's cart doesn't allow you to shuffle items aside and then add them back. So when I was creating orders, I was spending too much time adding and deleting items and re-creating mock orders within the Zavvi order screen. The sheet basically simulates the Zavvi order screen, only with just the raw numbers. I kept it pretty simple. Took me about half hour but it turned out cool. :thumbs:

I use an Excel sheet but ordered by date. That way, I can easily follow thru the month to be sure I'm not missing anything and/or ordering twice the same steel! :hilarious:

WOW guys! I'm shocked :) So much organization. I think I'm gonna have to do the same to keep track. I like your excel sheet ihategiantspiders, but I think I'd sort them by release date instead of month colors. To be able to see what is coming next

I use an Excel sheet but ordered by date. That way, I can easily follow thru the month to be sure I'm not missing anything and/or ordering twice the same steel! :hilarious:

You don't have to order it like that, you can just use the auto filter, very easy to install, just a few clicks and you're done.