4th Annual 'HDN 2014 SteelBook of the Year'-Winner chosen

What is your pick for 2014 Steelbook of the Year?

• Iron Man (Blufans, China)

Votes: 68 15.7%
  • Under the Skin (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 33 7.6%
  • The Pianist (Kimchi, Korea)

Votes: 36 8.3%
  • Captain America : The Winter Soldier (Nova Media, Korea)

Votes: 47 10.9%
  • Tangled (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 62 14.3%
  • Her (Kimchi, Korea)

Votes: 59 13.6%
  • V for Vendetta (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • Trancendence (Media Markt, Germany)

Votes: 27 6.2%
  • Mulan (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 37 8.5%
  • There Will be Blood (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 34 7.9%
  • I Saw The Devil (Plain Archive, Korea)

Votes: 136 31.4%
  • Maleficent (Spain, Multiple Retailers)

Votes: 48 11.1%
  • Frozen (Blufans, China)

Votes: 97 22.4%
  • 47 Ronin (Worldwide, Multiple Retailers)

• Drive (Mondo, Futureshop, Canada)

Votes: 89 20.6%
  • The Wolf of Wall Street (Solid yellow color, Worldwide, Multiple Retailers)

Votes: 71 16.4%
  • Drive (Nova Media, Korea)

Votes: 134 30.9%
  • Jumanji (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 72 16.6%
  • Pacific Rim (Blufans, China)

Votes: 33 7.6%
  • Rush (Kimchi, Korea)

• Ender's Game (HMV, United Kingdom)

• Leon (Kimchi, Korea)

Votes: 49 11.3%
  • How to Train Your Dragon (HDzeta, China)

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • The Wrestler (Plain Archive, Korea)

Votes: 68 15.7%
  • Army of Darkness (Zavvi, United Kingdom)

Votes: 39 9.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
steel-year-vote-720.jpg

Sponsored by the HDN Shop-browse for limited edition Steelbook collectibles and more at http://shop.hidefninja.com
& support the community!
shop logo.png

Hello HDN, welcome to our 4th Annual Steelbook of the Year community vote!

A number of exciting Steelbooks were released in 2014, with classic and new titles
r
eceiving the Steelbook treatment for collectors world-wide.

As in years past, your nominations were tallied until 1/10/2015 from our nominations thread (live October 2014) and the 25 most member-nominated titles are now contenders for Steelbook of the Year 2014 in our poll.
Please remember that you can only vote 1 time, but you can vote for multiple titles when you vote the 1st time.
Voting closes 1/31/2015 at 5:10 pm EST.
Have fun everyone & thanks for being part of the hidefninja.com community!

Past HDN community winners include Thor (2011), The Raid (2012),
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Zavvi) (2013).

image1.JPG

HDN's Official Youtube Channel includes many other individual Steelbook videos.
After you check it out the 5 minute recap video, join us on the forum and cast your votes right here!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 12.18.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-16 at 12.18.29 PM.png
    108.3 KB · Views: 64,546
Last edited:
completely agree 100%, how is it that people can people be voting on a steel they haven't in hand or actually laided eyes on, not that im not saying it won't be nice but that should be a 2015 entry as in when they have it in hand should apply.

Based on those rules/logic i should have been able to nominate 'the imitation game' which i have a pre-order for in june. to me just seems too much love in blufans direction in this case imho.

also how rush uk was simply ignored and then a 2015 release is in there instead just shows flaws in the process by trying to squeeze in last bit of the year, rather than doing thru the year with the nominations but thats just my opionon.

basil :thumbs:

There are folks that have received IM before 12/31. It has already been stated that no titles were 'omitted' or 'ignored'. Those with the most nominations are in the Top 25, out of over 100 titles mentioned. The rules of this vote have always been that you vote for 'your' favorite overall Steelbook release of the year. Of course, since some retailers have released Steelbooks with slips and extras(and more than in recent years), and which were popular this year, they would appear in the most nominated list, alongside other Steelbooks without extras. Lets move on from littering this thread with accusatory remarks without merit, please. This is supposed to be a fun community vote to celebrate some of the best releases of the year, let's keep it that way. Good luck everyone, I hope your top pick wins!

Last edited:
digitalbabe you are correct this all about fun, i agree but the fact's as i read them where as follows

first pics too appear from the seller on the'other site' in our own thread, this post dated 1st of jan 2015
https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...exclusive-xx-china.53707/page-51#post-1250157

i checked back from page 50 invoices where paid on the 31st dec so no one could have possiably had this in hand to make a decision about what it actually looked with there own eyes.
https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...book-blufans-exclusive-xx-china.53707/page-50

regards group buy invoices will not be invoiced till week of the 6th jan from wreck's own post so no one from that has theres
https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/marvel-steel-pre-order-list.54598/page-11#post-1252816

i'm not trying to say im taking the fun out of steels. i know you more than likely feel annoyed about this post but that is not my intention, but we are all equally entitled to our own views and people have the right to agree to dis-agree on a matter as well.
I will leave it there in the intrests of the collecting rather than being accused of being an accuser with remarks without any merit!

now on a happier note lets how the votes go

The winner from votes so far its looking like its going between
I Saw The Devil (Plain Archive, Korea)
Drive (Nova Media, Korea)

Its still early days as the poll vote closes on Jan 31st 2015
15 days of voting to see which steelbook from the list of 25 titles wins

So if you not already voted make sure you cast your votes

Poor Zavvi will be disappointed not to Win :LOL:

digitalbabe you are correct this all about fun, i agree but the fact's as i read them where as follows

first pics too appear from the seller on the'other site' in our own thread, this post dated 1st of jan 2015
https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...exclusive-xx-china.53707/page-51#post-1250157

i checked back from page 50 invoices where paid on the 31st dec so no one could have possiably had this in hand to make a decision about what it actually looked with there own eyes.
https://www.hidefninja.com/communit...book-blufans-exclusive-xx-china.53707/page-50

regards group buy invoices will not be invoiced till week of the 6th jan from wreck's own post so no one from that has theres
https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/marvel-steel-pre-order-list.54598/page-11#post-1252816

i'm not trying to say im taking the fun out of steels. i know you more than likely feel annoyed about this post but that is not my intention, but we are all equally entitled to our own views and people have the right to agree to dis-agree on a matter as well.
I will leave it there in the intrests of the collecting rather than being accused of being an accuser with remarks without any merit!

7kwgIvG.gif

@Basil , thanks for your reply. Of course people have the right to their opinions, and no one had said otherwise. However, when info is posted that is not completely accurate, corrections will be shared here, as we always have. I have come to communicate with direct international sources who provide info to me. Select customers did receive products by 12/31.

Wreck's invoices have completely different timelines as imposed by Blufans (part of their agreement with him), and are independent from any other Chinese retailer/sales and distribution channel.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Basil and harry
Although many releases are deserving a vote, I could only vote for those I considered a grade above the rest. Frozen blufans for their spectacular packaging, Drive nova for 3 excellent editions, Transcendence for out of this world embossing, Captain America nova and Leon Kimchi just cause I like the look of it ( 1/4 especially )

Reactions: digitalbabe
If this poll is for a steelbook and nothing else then I'll go for THERE WILL BE BLOOD, all the other extra's artcards, slips etc I'm not including as I'm basing my vote purely on the steel it self seen as this is best steel of the year,ENDERS GAME was also a nice steel IMO,well made, lovely quality finish.

i voted for

I SAW THE DEVIL (PA)
HER (Kimchi)
MULAN (Zavvi, representing all the other great disney steelbooks lately...)
ARMY OF DARKNESS (Zavvi)

i did not vote for DRIVE (novamedia), despite being an overall great packaged product (with my fav. label Plain Archive involved), i can't justify giving my vote to a steelbook released by this amateurish company who tries best to fail in every way possible. customer service is also ridiculously bad, incompetent, not friendly and not helpful.
so my votes rather represent my overall annual experience...

PLAIN ARCHIVE deserves to be crowned, nova does not. period.

Last edited:
People need to take each steelbook out of the package and look at the steelbook. ISTD is above average at best.
Couldn't agree more. Funnily, when I Saw The Devil wins, there won't be any mention of whether it's the PET slip, Full Slip or 1/4 slip, because the award is ultimately for the steel itself. And without that PET slip, it's just a very nice steelbook with an off-center Korean language spine.

That said, I don't mean to poo on the proceedings, this entire process is thoroughly subjective, as it is with everything like this, and people very rarely agree with most award noms/wins for anything. Not to mention my tastes generally sit in very stark contrast to most folks here, so take my comment with a nice big grain of salt. :happy:

i voted for

I SAW THE DEVIL (PA)
HER (Kimchi)
MULAN (Zavvi, representing all the other great disney steelbooks lately...)
ARMY OF DARKNESS (Zavvi)

i did not vote for DRIVE (novamedia), despite being an overall great packaged product (with my fav. label Plain Archive involved), i can't justify giving my vote to a steelbook released by this amateurish company who tries best to fail in every way possible. customer service is also ridiculously bad, incompetent, not friendly and not helpful.
so my votes rather represent my overall annual experience...

PLAIN ARCHIVE deserves to be crowned, nova does not. period.

The award is for the best Steelbook not the best retailer.

Reactions: Kashby and augustus
My choices are Drive mondo (The best looking steelbook of the year for me, that front artwork is amazing), Drive Nova media (Steelbook looks great and top quality package) and 47 Ronin (another great looking steelbook!).

Reactions: Bluprint
Status
Not open for further replies.