Whiplash (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Apr 1, 2013
London
Release: June 1st, 2015
Purchase: Whiplash
Price: £20.99
Notes: Gloss with debossed title
Artwork as selected by Damien Chazelle from the Empire Online competition.

FRONT.JPG

BACK.JPG
steel1.jpg
steel2.jpg
steel3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Final artwork reveal" email. Clicks link....

...Artwork subject to change. A Zavvi faux pas; who'd of imagined...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 101
My thoughts exactly! Search "art like Saul Bass" on any search engine and there's tons of results that use his style, and there's nothing wrong with that IMO. Pretty much any artwork can be compared to something else nowadays. I very much doubt it was down to copyright infringement anyway... but I guess we'll never know the real reason for the change.

People have said this a few times, then someone posts the comparisons. It's more than just using his style or the old "everything is a rip-off" argument. It's the same image - he just changed some details to make it less obvious.

29699-b-the-man-with-the-golden-arm.jpg

whiplash-mock-up_zpsi2dft89j.jpg

People have said this a few times, then someone posts the comparisons. It's more than just using his style or the old "everything is a rip-off" argument. It's the same image - he just changed some details to make it less obvious.

29699-b-the-man-with-the-golden-arm.jpg

whiplash-mock-up_zpsi2dft89j.jpg
When I heard it was a rip-off I thought it was exactly the same. Doesn't look exactly the same to me. Still happy that we got the artwork we all wanted.

Heard great things about this film, might have to blind buy
This is an amazing film, one of those that reminds you why you love cinema in the first place. After the Empire debacle I'm cancelling and waiting for the Kimchi one. I think they have been very unfair to the original winner. His design takes cues from Saul Bass but there is nothing in his image that infringes copyright.

Just to advise you all. Like many of you I had this pre-ordered before the art was announced at a discounted price and cancelled it once they chose the artwork. Now they've fixed it I re-ordered it and have contacted zavvi asking for my initial price. After a few emails they've agreed to refund the £2.10 difference on dispatch. Worth a try if you are in the same boat folks.

Reactions: chunk
I'm surprised with all the controversy when the initial winner won and the massive cancellation that followed because this current artwork that we loved hadn't win,

I am very surprised that since then, our beloved Artwork that we so desperately wanted was finally chosen and that this is still in stock :cautious:

I'm surprised with all the controversy when the initial winner won and the massive cancellation that followed because this current artwork that we loved hadn't win,

I am very surprised that since then, our beloved Artwork that we so desperately wanted was finally chosen and that this is still in stock :cautious:
A lot of those people probably just canceled their orders and never looked back.

reasons why it hasnt sold out: not a limited print run and its £20.99

also its a bit of an obscure movie

Still waiting on Kimchi's artwork, before I make a decision to pre-order.

still think this artwork deserves to be owned :) it should not be one or the other but both !

reasons why it hasnt sold out: not a limited print run and its £20.99

also its a bit of an obscure movie

well it's a very popular movie, Sundance January 2014 and now the Academy Awards... plus I do think it is limited , it does state limited Edition, I assume they will put the print run at one point, but if not I believe that means it is limited

@RobertJoseph17 that makes very much sense, I was not going to look back on the thread just happened to fall on it by pure luck

still think this artwork deserves to be owned :) it should not be one or the other but both !

well it's a very popular movie, Sundance January 2014 and now the Academy Awards... plus I do think it is limited , it does state limited Edition, I assume they will put the print run at one point, but if not I believe that means it is limited

@RobertJoseph17 that makes very much sense, I was not going to look back on the thread just happened to fall on it by pure luck
Being nominated for Awards doesn't make a movie popular though. Look at Dallas Buyers Club Kimchi, that won a lot of awards, and the Lenticular is still for sale. And that's a limited edition Kimchi release. This is just a Zavvi release which probably won't even have WEA.

Reactions: digitalbabe
Being nominated for Awards doesn't make a movie popular though. Look at Dallas Buyers Club Kimchi, that won a lot of awards, and the Lenticular is still for sale. And that's a limited edition Kimchi release. This is just a Zavvi release which probably won't even have WEA.

Indeed but people who saw it seems to have had better feedback for this movie than the Dallas movie...

Yes it won't be WEA, but it seems that the number of country so far to release this artwork is very limited, I guess there's still time but it seems like it won't be that widely released... in any case I am just happy for the change of Artwork, just love it so much !