Why do you you/don't you buy Steelbooks?

Look at it from the retailers point of view.

They no doubt cost them marginally more yet sell for a higher price. = more profit.
They obviously sell if the print runs are being increased. = more profit.

Some people simply prefer steelbook packaging and have no interest in collecting them as a collectors item, but buy them to watch the movie.

If anything it's those who buy numerous copies and try to sell them for inflated prices that are more to blame. Retailers are only doing what any sensible retailer would do is meeting the demands of the consumer.

Reactions: gaeljet
Well as there are more of them, that means there is more to discuss. But I suspect what we might find happening soon. Is that retailers will find the rough number they need to have in order to sell out and not be sat on too much stock. Of course this can vary from title to title, but if we look at zaavi true some 4000 print runs haven't sold out but I suspect the 4-5000 print run is about right.

I read this as " I can no longer make money by selling steelbooks"

I started in July and enjoy it, for my own pleasure, not as an investment, or business venture. But Zavvi have flooded the market.

My approach to steelbooks has morphed, taken a few concept changes, and honed itself over the past 6-7 months, to the following principles:

1) Do not buy every countries' release of the same steel. It is way too expensive, and it is a fallacy to think that all of them will be collectible. Choose one you like, and just buy that one for keeps. Unless you love the movie like no other, then it is a personal choice if you want a complete collection of a worldwide release. For myself, I will buy any new releases of Pulp Fiction, or Batman Begins, or Thor.
2) Assume 95% of the steels will not OOP before release date (look, even recent Kimchi exclusives don't OOP). Those that eventually do (e.g. Aladdin or T2 Kimchi), you probably can self-fund your own copy if you bought 3 and sell the other 2 on ebay with a profit (after deducting fees). For the rest of the 95% (e.g. Evil Dead 2 or Jack the Giant Slayer), if you bought 3 copies of each new release, you are going to have a storage issue at some point in time, or your spouse / partner nagging at you. So adopt igans316 approach, wait for it to be released, and buy those you want on ebay, at retail or even lower price.
3) There will be no new grails (there has been none in 2013, has there?). You will never beat the quality of the steels & such released 2-3 years ago, e.g. Terminator Salvation FS ironpack (Sunnyx's personal belief that it will be a holy grail), or what chipvideo calls the "golden age of German steels (e.g. Wanted, Zimmer 1408)
4) Avoid titles which are not a franchise (e.g. World War Z, After Earth, Place Beyond the Pines). No one will remember these movies or steels in 2 years time (Safe House anyone?)
5) Avoid Zavvi steels like the plague (unless it is a steelbook you want to keep for your own collection). For myself, I kept my Rocketeer order, even though the value will not likely increase, simply because I think it is a good-looking steel. But 1 copy only, mind you.
6) Buy Disneys; they are evergreen. If released by Zavvi, consider carefully. Personally, I will buy them. Look at how many members have Disneys on their want list, me included.
7) Buy all blufans releases, at least for now (until they do a Zavvi, which they seem to be threatening to do recently)
8) In the foreseeable future, buy FNAC. My faith in FNAC has not waivered over the course of 2013, I await its new release with great eagerness. Please Zavvi, do not take over FNAC. Wreck, please help all of us and put in your say!
9) Keep your grails (e.g. IM FS, Rambo Tattoo, Moulin Rouge ironpack), unless you need funds now. There is a high probability that 0.5% of steels will fly in value in 3-5 years time (This is Stevo's theory, as well as ChanFM's, which I subscribe to)
10) Just enjoy your hobby, and focus on things you like, or a segment. For example, I know Burragum now only buys lenticular steelbooks. Great idea!

All in all, don't get me wrong, I don't believe steelbooks are dead, and I still love collecting steel :scat:

Last edited:
I do agree that steelbooks are flooding the market and yes Zavvi has some play in this. I was never into Steelbooks but have over a 100 now manly because there not much different in price then the standard blu case edition. Plus some titles look good in a steelbook like terminator 2 etc.

The company's selling Steelbooks should limit how many one customer can buy but that does not us with group buys.

The answer is ? Well is there one.

Weird thread.

Steelbooks might be dead if you are looking to make a fast buck by buying multiple copies of potentially rare titles and then trying to sell them on. As the glut of new releases and choice have meant that collectors simply don't have the money to throw at expensive eBay auctions and the like.

Like others have said, if you are happy simply buying steels you like then there is no real problem. I just got a copy of Sucker Punch (Comic Con) which was the only rare steel that I really cared for. After that I'm just going to dabble and buy the films that appeal to me. My collection will look pretty great but it's only for ME anyway so who else cares what films are in there?

Reactions: dfoles
I do agree that steelbooks are flooding the market and yes Zavvi has some play in this. I was never into Steelbooks but have over a 100 now manly because there not much different in price then the standard blu case edition. Plus some titles look good in a steelbook like terminator 2 etc.

The company's selling Steelbooks should limit how many one customer can buy but that does not us with group buys.

The answer is ? Well is there one.

Well if retailers were to limit to say 3 per customer, you could still do group buys. Except instead of one buyer they would be multiple. Besides you can get around it somewhat buy just creating a new account for that retailer and having a different card and who is to say it's not a different customer?

There just needs to be better choices - both in the choice of films that are made into steelbooks AND in terms of artwork choices.

In terms of choosing which films - we've pretty much done the job for them here (assuming they give a damn about which steelbooks we actually want).

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think steelbooks are dead, but of all the diehard collectors I used to know from this board, almost all of them have now quit entirely or radically sleeved down their collections and are being much more selective in what they buy. The rate at which steels are being released is now pretty much unsustainable unless one was to be very choosy in what to buy.

Personally I've liquidated about 70%-80% of my collection now as I'd simply rather have the money for other things. So for me the honeymoon is definitely over.

Reactions: Lutzo and gaeljet
Tbh. The only reason anyone would say steelbook a are dead is because the resale potential isn't anywhere near as lucrative any more. The available selection has never been more plentiful and yes the prices can be a little high sometimes but no one bu you chooses what you're going to buy. And the print runs only matter if you intend to sell at a later date.

So this is it, steelbooks are alive!!

I've been collecting for just over a year now and when I say collecting I mean for my own personal favourite films (not for profit). All I've seen on this forum is it go from strength to strength. People sharing the enjoyment of something they love. More of it I say and long live steelbooks.

Reactions: aufdringlich
if you are buying to make money-then yes-steelbooks are dead-I am now just replacing my dvd's with steelbook releases and only double up on some new releases that may be worth something later on-(Marvel,disney) but again-this is a waiting game & I don't buy every release just because it's out there!. Yes, Zavvi have flooded the market but I didn't hear anyone complaining when Amezon, HMV & Play had 20+ exclusives per year when this all kicked off..

If you think they are flooding the market with steels then you need to learn how to pace yourself and buy only what you like and know you can afford. Ask any seasoned collector on the board and they'll tell you that if you try and buy them all you'll fail miserably.

It's always the same story with new collectors, they see all the pretty steels and try and get them all. You'll burn out unless you pace yourself. Believe me, you will enjoy collecting that much more if you do. :thumbs:

I've been collecting for just over a year now and when I say collecting I mean for my own personal favourite films (not for profit). All I've seen on this forum is it go from strength to strength. People sharing the enjoyment of something they love. More of it I say and long live steelbooks.

Don't post in this thread - So thats it, steelbooks are dead. It's like matter makes contact with antimatter, you will annihilate each other.

Last edited by a moderator: