Why do you you/don't you buy Steelbooks?

I think it's just a new era for collectors. It may not last forever but we should enjoy it while it's here IMO.

I plan to just carry on buying the same amount of steels I always have and not try to buy them all. I've decided to cancel various pre-orders recently like Tron, Rocketeer, Dick Tracy and others but I think it's great that fans of these films will be able to pick them up.

I am far from annoyed that there are so many releases, I think it's healthy, I just wish they were spread out more. Although the good thing about so many releases is that there is no rush to jump in pre-ordering stuff because most are unlikely to sell out, for instance I'll wait for in-hand pics of the Gremlins steel before ordering that.

Reactions: frankfish44
My first steelbook was Iron Man a couple of years ago. Since then I've started collecting only the movies that I knew I would enjoy watching again and again.

I open every steelbook I get because I want to watch the movie not just keep it on a shelf. I understand why some do it but it's just not my thing.

My buying decision is driven first & foremost by the movie itself, the artwork on the steelbook comes second. If it's a movie that I'm not interested in, I don't bother buying it, it doesn't matter to me if it's a rare edition or not.

On that note, which steelie are you most looking forward to getting this year?

I'll start this off with none other than: Man of Steel

Reactions: harry
My first steelbook was Iron Man a couple of years ago. Since then I've started collecting only the movies that I knew I would enjoy watching again and again.

I open every steelbook I get because I want to watch the movie not just keep it on a shelf. I understand why some do it but it's just not my thing.

My buying decision is driven first & foremost by the movie itself, the artwork on the steelbook comes second. If it's a movie that I'm not interested in, I don't bother buying it, it doesn't matter to me if it's a rare edition or not.

On that note, which steelie are you most looking forward to getting this year?

I'll start this off with none other than: Man of Steel

+1 with you :thumbs:

Reactions: IRON MAN
Im OCD and I find it hard nay impossible to not buy them :( this addiction is worse than crack! Actually I must be very OCD as I rarely ever open my steelbooks!

Although with this addiction the only thing it hurts is your wallet :)

There should be a Steelbooks anonymous (SA) thread on here, for steelbook junkies :) "I'm Will and im a steelbook addict" :D

Sent from my Galaxy S4

Last edited:
I like the premium packaging. I only buy what i know i like (catalogue) or what looks ace (new releases).

I open them to watch and keep them in poly bags for protection. I have some still sealed but i will open them when i want to watch them :)

I also keep the backing cards / jcards. I buy only new too as used most of the time is missing the card.

In the past I've bought movies because I liked them. Packaging was not much of a concern although I would prefer to have at least a slip. So most of my blus are amaray cases. Just a few were steels like Lion King and Hunger Games.

I've become more interested in steels because many of the movies that I have on DVD and have been thinking of upgrading to blu are now out as steelbooks, which I didn't know prior to stumbling onto this forum and extremely knowledgeable community. So if I'm going to move up, I might as well get the steel while it's available right?

Seeing as I just started collecting... Heck no. But one I get all the titles I want, I could see me get bored

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

I was getting bored but with those great Kimchi titles and the Lawrence of Arabia and the Zavvi Disney and the ES Star Trek it just keeps getting better. I have cut down on UK steels but i'm spending even more now i've started collecting Asian steels.

I am bored of the bombardment of steels coming out of the UK. Used to be excited but after a while it became a case of not another one. There is no need to release an average that will be close to 6 steelbooks per month by the end of the year. Cancelled all but 5 steelbooks I had on pre order. I can't justify all these single disc releases. I cancelled little mermaid EEK! in favor of the US 5 disc 3D amaray release which will be cheaper and have more content.

To balance my spending, I would sell off the amarays, but I am now realizing I don't need to buy any of these catalogue releases as the contents are usually inferior to what I already have

Moving forward I am mostly collecting new releases and Asian exclusives. Avoiding Zavvi as much as I can unless I have to. It is much easier and enjoyable now that I don't have to get 90% of these catalogue releases anyway.

Zavvi if you are listening..."Too many cooks spoil the broth"
Having choice is great but too many is detrimental

I am bored of the bombardment of steels coming out of the UK. Used to be excited but after a while it became a case of not another one. There is no need to release an average that will be close to 6 steelbooks per month by the end of the year. Cancelled all but 5 steelbooks I had on pre order. I can't justify all these single disc releases. I cancelled little mermaid EEK! in favor of the US 5 disc 3D amaray release which will be cheaper and have more content.

To balance my spending, I would sell off the amarays, but I am now realizing I don't need to buy any of these catalogue releases as the contents are usually inferior to what I already have

Moving forward I am mostly collecting new releases and Asian exclusives. Avoiding Zavvi as much as I can unless I have to. It is much easier and enjoyable now that I don't have to get 90% of these catalogue releases anyway.

Zavvi if you are listening..."Too many cooks spoil the broth"
Having choice is great but too many is detrimental

Yup! Agreed! I cancelled all my Zavvis too except for the 3 Indys. I only collect steels that are collectible or rare. If they are not collectible or rare, I might as well get the amaray.

Yes I'm on the same boat. I got really bored of collecting steels after Zavvi overflowing the market with overpriced catalogue titles and Korea and Taiwan having big print runs. I ended up cancelling all pre-orders from Zavvi including Indie.

Reactions: earthscope
Yup! Agreed! I cancelled all my Zavvis too except for the 3 Indys. I only collect steels that are collectible or rare. If they are not collectible or rare, I might as well get the amaray.

Couldn't agree more with that statement. :thumbs:

I have only bought one UK steel this year and that was Argo as I did not have the FS version, plus loved the film.

Only collecting Blufans and certain Asian Steels now.

Also exclusives like Lawrence Of Arabia, China, are always high on my want list..!!! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: ash333 and chanfm
Bored? - No. My interest is slowing a little but I have no problem with the release of numerous Steelbooks. I am just being more selective in those I order (fewer blind buys) as I do have a fixed income. There are still many "proven" movies I would love to purchase as Steelbooks which have yet to come out, e.g. - Field of Dreams, Last of the Mohicans, Coming to America, The Mask, etc.