[Winner Chosen]Give-away for Valentines Day-Win Blu-Ray/DVD of your choice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalbabe

Premium Supporter
Apr 12, 2009
USA
Hey All Hidefninja.com members,

It's time for our Ninja to get frisky! :naughty:

ninjavdayimage.jpg

I am contributing a give-away for a DVD or Blu-Ray (value up to $25 or $25 towards one), shipped to you from Amazon US or Amazon UK. Purchases from other Amazon sites in your own country are fine, too. It can be more than one, as long as the total value is $25 or less(I'll pay the shipping to you).

All you have to do is list your Top 5 Romantic Movies, and why they make your list, and I'll pick a winner on Valentines Day.

The movie(s) you choose as a giveaway do not need to be a Romantic flick(s).

So 'lets get it on' and get this party started! :drool:

Have fun! :oohyeah:

And the winner by random draw of total # of posts with Ninjas counted 2X:

random.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
1.Before Sunrise/Before Sunset (Simply brilliant films and so, so close to my heart...)
2.Un Couer En Hiver (A Heart in Winter) (Dark, but brilliant)
3.ANYTHING in the romcom genre with Drew Barrymore in it ;)
4.The Singer (Gerard Depardieu at his best?..)
5. National Lampoon Vacation series - romance is the only explaination for why his wife put's up with Chevy Chase's character!!

Can I change mine DB? :D I forgot an amazing film that just has to be in my list!!

1. Angel-a - aaaaamazing film on many levels - just bought the ltd edition dvd boxset, so no excuse for forgetting it!!
2.Before Sunrise/Before Sunset (Simply brilliant films and so, so close to my heart...)
3.Un Couer En Hiver (A Heart in Winter) (Dark, but brilliant)
4.ANYTHING in the romcom genre with Drew Barrymore in it ;)
5.The Singer (Gerard Depardieu at his best?..)

Thanks for having the Valentines Day-Win Blu-Ray/DVD Give-away! I appreciate the opportunity to be able to participate! Here is my list of some of my favorite films (although, not all of them are considered romantic) But still have an element of love in the mix.

1.) 'The Phantom of the Opera' (1924/1925) Original Silent Film Classic featuring Lon Chaney. *Although a silent film, it still has a great visual story!

2.) 'City of Angels' with Nicolas Cage & Meg Ryan
*Great love story. Emotionally charged!

3.) 'Ghost' with the late great Patrick Swayze (RIP) and beautiful Demi Moore
*Great story! Moving...brought tears to my eyes when I first saw it.

4.) 'The Wolfman' (2010) with Anthony Hopkins and Benicio Del Toro.
Great story! and homage to the original.

5.) 'Forrest Gump' Do I need to say anymore?! Great movie, great story!

1. 50 first dates ( I loved the song at the end so much (Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - Over the Rainbow) it became my wedding dance)
2. love actually
3. The wedding date
4. The Holiday
5. Notting Hill

Here are my Top 5 (in no preference), which I think is very different to what the majority have listed. I was struggling to decide my 5th so i tied them.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Avatar
3. Stardust
4. The Illusionist
-5. The Last of the Mohicans
-5. Ghost

5 of mine are:

4. The World Unseen
5. I Can't Think Straight

I'm glad someone else is a fan of Lisa Ray - one of my favorite Canadian Indian actresses. It's too bad she doesn't get enough work. I have a theory that Hollywood is against using shapely and voluptuous actresses because they think that audiences will be focused on bodies rather than their faces (or acting). You should check her out in Bollywood-Hollywood (or just buy it from me - I have it for sale in my trade thread). I liked both of these films - it's cool how the director filmed them together to show the same story in two different time periods.

As everyone has been saying, very difficult to pick just 5, but here goes...

3. City Girl - Fantastic 1920's silent film making, easily as moving as any "modern" movie.

City Girl is one of my favorite films also. If you haven’t checked it out, watch Murnau’s Sunrise also – one of the best silent films and also a great love story too!

I love these movie list games! Here are my choices:

The Last of the Mohicans: This movie emotionally destroys me. All the relationships are written so well in this film. Besides the central focus of the love between Hawkeye and Cora, there’s also the love of Cora’s sister and the other Indian guy, the father-adopted son relationship of Hawkeye and Russell Means character, the father-son relationship of Russell Means with his real son, and Cora’s fiancé’s love for Cora. Daniel Day Lewis is such a great actor, he can make even make mushy dialogue sound amazing: “You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you.”

Amelie: One of the most creatively filmed romantic movies of all time, especially impressive that the couple doesn’t meet or hook up till the end.

Three of my other favorite romantic movies are ones that I don’t even own on Blu-ray/DVD because they are the few films that I still have the patience to watch on tv even with all the annoying commercials:

Ghost: No matter how many times I watch it, Ghost still turns me into a bawling mess. I also get a kick out of Patrick Swayze being in both my favorite romantic films (Ghost) and bromantic films (Point Break).

Groundhog Day: One of the most inspiring and uplifting sci-fi, fantasy, comedy romantic films ever! I also like the idea that Bill Murray can play romantic leads. And I miss Andie MacDowell – she’s still hot and she doesn’t get any roles anymore except hair commercials. I guess it’s because the Southern accent she can’t lose.

Coming to America: One of my favorite fairytale films. This is also Eddie Murphy’s best acting and his most rewatchable funny film for me (with Trading Places coming in second).

Last edited:
Hey Toddly-someone else who likes Lisa! Yes, she had quite a personal struggle healthwise, but she seems to be doing better now. I've chatted with her a few times and she's a great human being. It takes time for stereotypes to be broken, but things are changing....slowly. The two films I listed are not of the traditional 'Bollywood' genre, but am glad to see different genres giving a variety of actors a chance-we still have a long way to go, however. I hope to see her in more work as well. Great list, thanks for joining!

I tend not to go for the straight sappy romance movies, although some are done well. Romantic comedies I'm more interested in. Although almost ever movie has some romantic angle it (even the Transformers movies have a love story subplot tacked on there), so I guess it depends on how broad you define "romantic". Here's 5 I really love:

5) Gone with the Wind
4) His Girl Friday
3) Amélie
2) Charade
1) The Princess Bride

5. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The transition of ages is amazing to see, very well done. Knowing that you have to leave the people you love behind is a genuine worry for all of us and this film does a brilliant way of portraying it.

4. Once
When the film starts out in Ireland with a guy singing on the street busking for money, and some wasted chav nicks his collected change and a chase ensues, all filmed on a hand held camera I was totally thrown away by it. The first 30 minutes are one of the best 30 minutes of a film I've seen in a long time. The basic premise is a woman confronts this male street musician and they bounce off each other forcing them to endeavour in their musical careers and fix their personal relationship problems, as they become friends a strong connection grows between the two, and the question arises to the viewer, do the main characters want to be with each other or just stay friends. Probably features the best song moments in cinema ever. WE LOVE YOU GLEN HANSARD!

3. Leon: The Professional
I didn't understand how Natalie Portman is such a big name and rated, now I can see why. This film has a great charming quality to it between the Hitman Jean Reno and young NP, it needs to be seen to be understood, putting it in words doesn't do it justice. Plus the tense action sequences provide a good mix of interest. Mix in good plot and story and you're onto a winner. I don't see anything not to like! Gary Oldman is amazing as the bad guy btw, one of the best performances I've seen in a while. All the main characters have great intros, tense.

2. Let The Right One In
Vampire film with a twist. It's a vampire young girl in Sweden! Oscar the lonely boy attaches himself to her for some companionship. Very sweet film yet dark with the horror elements.

1. The Graduate
A beautifully crafted film on first viewing, especially the first half where Dustin Hoffman portrays this young boyish shyness in a mans body as Mrs Robinson seduces him into an affair, before he falls in love with her daughter in which he transforms into a confident man who knows what he wants in his future.

The chemistry between the characters creates a wonderful presence of sexual-comedic-awkward tension which is absolutely gripping. The soundtrack is simple but brilliant, provided by Simon & Garfunkel which only feature a handful of songs which are repeated, but they are so sincere and touching, Sounds of silence, April Come She Will and Mrs Robinson come into play at strategic points cleverly placed. Very well filmed too which surprised me considering the genre of movie, the camera movement and placement was really nice.

Jericho-definitely-the definition is up to each person-different things appeal to different people. Thanks for contributing!

Leo-I agree Benjamin is a fantastic film-I have been adding some suggestions to my Netflix q, as well, based on what you guys are posting. I love checking out films I've never seen...

I am not a big fan of Romantic movies but I enjoyed the following films, especially Barry Lyndon:

- Titanic
- Slumdog Millionaire
- Romeo and Juliet
- 10 Things I Hate About You
- Barry Lyndon

My Top 5 Romantic Movies are

1. The Notebook
2. Serendipity
3. Sleepless In Seattle
4. 50 First Dates
5. You've Got Mail

Have to watch these with the wife, but there actually are a couple i like;
The Notebook
P.s. I love you
Ghost
You've got mail
Sleepless in Seattle
To name five...

The Princess Bride (oldskool!)
Forrest Gump
Titanic (made me cry)
Notting Hill
The Notebook

The reason these make the list... my fiancee likes them. If we watch a romance film I'm just about guaranteed sex afterwards. Anything else, she will fall asleep. LOL

edit: fall asleep during the movie! not...

In no particular order

Gone with the Wind - classic love story!
Pretty Woman - maybe an odd choice, but gets me every time at the end!
Overboard - funny but still a romance at the heart of it
Ghost - who can forget the pottery scene?
Fried Green Tomatos - not romantic love, but love nonetheless and a great movie

Status
Not open for further replies.