Zavvi and Amazon UK prices for the new FOX steelbooks!!!!

Apr 25, 2014
Aylesbury
I can't believe that there has been NO thread discussing the totally outrageous prices for the May 12 & June 2 FOX steelbook waves!!!:angry:

£19.99 on zavvi and not far off that on amazon!!...Alien Ruserrection is £21-99 on zavvi!!! for a re-release of a back catalogue title!!!EEK!

Do FOX actually want to sell these steelbooks or not!!! Considering that Brazil, Cocoon, Sunshine etc... were picked up on amazon for around £11 i find it amazing that these are priced like this!!!

I love collecting steelbooks (currently have 170+) but have found that over the last couple of months steelbook prices are getting ridiculous!!! I for one have turned to 3rd party sellers and Ebay!!!

Anybody else think the same??? Would love to know your thoughts??

Dave.:scat:

Only one of these I've pre-ordered is Vanishing Point; It's a first release on Blu Ray in the UK and so might end up getting bought by non steelbook collectors. It probably won't sell out, but it's the only one that I wouldn't even consider risking because it's my favourite film. I'd rather pay £17 now and lose some money if it drops just to be safe.

But the rest are actual catalogue releases, so I'll be waiting for £10. Nothing from the other Fox waves has sold out so I'm sure they'll be around for a while.

Thanks for moving to the right place!...i'm a Newbie!!

:p

I will wait until the price drops...it's no wonder there have been no unboxing video's or pics of The Omen or Poseidon Adventure!...nobody's bought any!!!:hilarious:

The only one i have thought about is Vanishing Point for the exact same reason as stated above!!...but the others...NO THANKS FOX YOU GREEDY F*****S!!!:angry:

Take Fantastic 4...No extended version...just the old disc repackaged...so you can pay £13-15 extra for a steelbook that costs pennies to produce!!! mmmm...no thanks!!!!:ass:

It seems to be a definite trend though...take the last StudioCanal releases...Leon, Spinal Tap, Bill & Ted etc...I have NEVER seen them under £20!!!!...and Amazon currently have the Burbs & Porky's at £24!!!!:hilarious:I was lucky, managed to bag them at £17-70 each!!!

My theory is Amazon have to pay for their new streaming service if you have Prime!!!...easy target...put steelbook prices up!!!!:angry::angry:...BONKERS!!

As for Zavvi...just plain GREEDY!!! The Wolf Of Wall Street £27!!!!EEK!...just because Americans will buy it!!!!...

I remember the days of £9-99 play.com releases!!! Happy days now long gone!!!:dunno:

Dave.

Yes but....

Unfortunately HMV.com is long gone!!!!

I live in Aylesbury, we lost our HMV over a year ago and the Oxford one has now shut!!!

If you live in a city or large town then you are lucky...most of us don't i'm afraid!! so it's online ordering!!!

I'm sure they will drop prices when Amazon & Zavvi see them clogging up their warehouses though!:hilarious:

:p

I will wait until the price drops...it's no wonder there have been no unboxing video's or pics of The Omen or Poseidon Adventure!...nobody's bought any!!!:hilarious:

The only one i have thought about is Vanishing Point for the exact same reason as stated above!!...but the others...NO THANKS FOX YOU GREEDY F*****S!!!:angry:

Take Fantastic 4...No extended version...just the old disc repackaged...so you can pay £13-15 extra for a steelbook that costs pennies to produce!!! mmmm...no thanks!!!!:ass:

It seems to be a definite trend though...take the last StudioCanal releases...Leon, Spinal Tap, Bill & Ted etc...I have NEVER seen them under £20!!!!...and Amazon currently have the Burbs & Porky's at £24!!!!:hilarious:I was lucky, managed to bag them at £17-70 each!!!

My theory is Amazon have to pay for their new streaming service if you have Prime!!!...easy target...put steelbook prices up!!!!:angry::angry:...BONKERS!!

As for Zavvi...just plain GREEDY!!! The Wolf Of Wall Street £27!!!!EEK!...just because Americans will buy it!!!!...

I remember the days of £9-99 play.com releases!!! Happy days now long gone!!!:dunno:

Dave.

They cost more than pennies to make I assure you!

Yeah it's pretty clear that after the Play heyday, a bunch of chancers are trying to squeeze every penny out of us by flooding the market with the cheapest possible quality steelbooks at the highest prices they think can get away with.

They don't understand that the reason they could sell those titles at £11-£15 rather than the £6-£7 people tend to buy catalogue amarays at, is they looked nice, and there weren't a dozen of the things launching every bloody month. It's short-sighted and they're going to have a lot of stock hanging around for a long time if they keep trying it.

Yes i agree....

Totally agree....so FOX are releasing 10 steelbooks on May 12 & 15 steelbooks on June 2!!!, so 25 steelbooks within 21 days of each other at an average RRP of £19.00 split between amazon & zavvi!!!....mmmm....£475!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I guarantee that these will all be down in price within 8 weeks!!! if not then i think that the studios have decided on a "F*** 'em attitude, let's rinse every goddamn penny out of these catalogue titles, no remasters, no new editions, just stick 'em in a shiny new (or matte!:() steelbook and charge what the hell we want!!!!:ass:

I miss PLAY.COM!!!!:(:(

Dave.

Last edited:
Reactions: SaberTooth
releasing steelbooks left right and centre dilutes what used to be a more exciting collecting hobby. the days of 3 or 4 high quality steelbook releases a month have been replaced by wave after wave of often poor quality re releases or studio waves. for example the raid play.com was an absolute stunner and of the highest quality often lacking in the over released, less attractive steelbooks we are all too often offered these days........

Fox have definitely lost the plot. Too many releases, poor title selection (where are The Abyss, Road to Perdition, True Lies, The Usual Suspects etc.?), poor artwork designs more often than not, average finishing and stupidly high prices. Steelbooks should be premium editions but Fox don't seem to see it that way at the moment, instead they think it's a cash cow ready to be milked dry.

I've ordered mine from Amazon, as they will likely drop lower at some point, so I will only pay the lowest price point. Zavvi tend to prefer to offer money off codes instead, as they don't lower prices of pre-order items - £19.99 now will be £19.99 on release day, whereas Amazon might drop down to something reasonable like £12.51 and go back up to £18.85 or something during the pre-order period

Still, I think FOX have a sheer nerve to charge that kind of money for catalogue titles, especially when they're flooding the market with dozens at a time! PLAY.com's prices were reasonable and nobody minded paying £10-£12 for the Universal 100th Anniversary and Paramount Centenary releases, so why do FOX think they're so special? The majority of these titles can be bought brand new on Amaray for less than a fiver (Eg, all of the Alien films are often part of Amazon's "2 for £10" or "3 for £15" deals), which makes £19.99 a kick in the teeth AND the ball-sacks! These are single disc, non-3D releases priced at what you would expect to pay for a Triple Play 3D release!

The annoying thing is, these are the titles you know will be kicking around for months on end and will end up for sale at half price within a few months! Look at how often the Warner Bros Premium Collection titles go on sale!

Do you remember the good old days of Play.com and their £9.99 releases :LOL:

Not to mention the quality of the HMV and Play UK releases. :thumbs:

---------- Post added at 06:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 AM ----------

I hope the folks who purchased the Asian version doesn't crib about the high price of the UK release.:naughty:

you don't have to worry about that mate, they're all yours, enjoy... :p

And...

I agree!

Do FOX think these titles are soooo collectible!!!

They NEVER say what kind of print run these titles have!!...i will willingly pay £14-99 for Zavvi's V For Vendetta with a 2,500 print run....but £19-99 for Speed...let's not beat around the bush....with utterly S**** artwork...(as are the rest of that run with the exception of Vanishing Point!)....i swear a 5 year old could design better steelwork artwork...where DO they hire these people from?????...(as for that Legend steelbook...:wtf:!!!!) with a ????? print run...

FOX, you are having a laugh!!!!!!:ass::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Where the hell are these titles!!!

The Abyss - 25th Anniversary in 2014!

True Lies - 20th Anniversary in 2014!

These would absolutely FLY off the shelves...instead FOX think we want Hart's War!!!!!for £20!!!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: