Zavvi exclusive SteelBooks - Overwhelming?

Zavvi exclusive SteelBooks - Do you feel overwhelmed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 15, 2013
UK
I'm pretty sure that I'm not alone in saying that I feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of forthcoming Zavvi exclusive SteelBooks, and no doubt a lot of you have strong feelings about this issue right now

Looking at the forthcoming SteelBook release schedule for Q3-Q4 2013, it's apparent that Zavvi are really pushing their SteelBook exclusives as much as possible. July has a manageable four exclusives (a relatively quiet month for media releases), as does August, but September has seven, and October eight!

While a lot of you will state that there are just too many SteelBook releases now, others may say they can cope, but would prefer if they were either cheaper or spread apart more. I've seen some people quote: "You don't have to buy them all" across these forums, and they're quite right, but there are people who do like to collect every exclusive release

From Zavvi's point of view it may not seem too bad, but what they fail in is spatial awareness. They don't look around at what other things are released around the same time, and this is why it feels overwhelming to many collectors - The same consumers who are most likely also visiting the cinema, buying box sets, new non-exclusive SteelBook releases (determined by the studios, not the retailer), as well as video game CE's etc. There really needs to be a balance based on other media releases, and that's something they're lacking right now!

Something else I've noticed about Zavvi is that they seem to like to bottleneck their exclusive releases into a particular day of the month, rather than spread them apart. For example, the 23rd of September has five releases out of a total of nine SteelBooks announced for that month, and the 28th of October also has five out of eight that have so far been announced for that month!

There are also rumours that Zavvi plan on releasing selected catalogue video game SteelBooks too in the near future, much to the dismay of many collectors who already feel overwhelmed. While many collectors will not be buying every single release, these on top of new CE releases and the already bulging Blu-Ray SteelBook releases is perhaps a little too much for many

As we enter the latter part of the year and approaching the holiday season, we'll start to see a deluge of other media LE's and CE's announced. Obviously Zavvi haven't bothered to take this period into account, and it could affect their sales of other forms of media as collectors are forced to choose between buying several exclusive SteelBooks or the must-have video game CE (this year sees the release of GTA V, which is touted to possibly be the biggest media launch ever!). October 2013 may be the time when many SteelBook collectors decide to give up collecting...

Last edited:
i only ordered the disneys from them,nothing else until today :hilarious:

so i just :movie: ,enjoy my disneys and all your comments :)

When did I get the title of 'constantly defending Zavvi'?? I don't even like them!

Oh sod off Zavvi, Warner, everyone else associated with destroying the steelbook scene.

Shocking prices, I'm leaving these well alone until Zavvi wake up.

(In response to someone complaining about a Zavvi bashing thread)

There's a perfectly good reason for that. Absolute shambles.

God Zavvi are a complete mess at times. This one is at least showing 'pre-order' and not out of stock though.

God knows. I really dislike Zavvi so it wouldn't surprise me if they never had it in the first place.

The first time I've ordered more than one as a security measure. Zavvi are shocking so I'm covering my own ass.

Reactions: TakingYoSteelz

Update: Just got another steelbook from zavvi and It's pretty damn good packaging!

zavvip.jpg

zavvip (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm fearing XMas time. I'm sure they'll be steeling up some Xmas movies for the hell of it (Nightmare Before Xmas and Muppet Xmas Carol comes to mind). XD

Despite the popular belief that Zavvi are intent on releasing every film in Steelbook form, it is interesting to note that we currently have less Steelbooks announced in the UK for this year than last year. There have been 99 titles released or announced for release so far this year compared to 126 last year. We'll probably end up with a similar number at the end of the year though as November and December are pretty empty at the moment.

Reactions: hayemaker
That's pretty interesting, I just worked out I'm not gonna have bought anywhere near as many UK steels this year as I did last year.

EDIT - worth noting however that Zavvi didn't get going until the end of March with Roger Rabbit.

Last edited:
That's pretty interesting, I just worked out I'm not gonna have bought anywhere near as many UK steels this year as I did last year.

EDIT - worth noting however that Zavvi didn't get going until the end of March with Roger Rabbit.

Equally worth noting that last year, Play.com didn't release their first wave until May 28th ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.