Lisa (Elke Sommer) – an American tourist travelling in Spain – loses her tour party and seeks refuge in the tumbledown mansion of a blind countess after being guided there by the distinctly satanic butler of the house, Leandro (Telly Savalas – Horror Express, Kojak). The Son of the Countess notices Lisa’s striking resemblance to his dead lover, and pursues her as a night of murder, strange eroticism and dark hallucinations begins.
Re-cut in the US to cash in on the popularity of William Friedkin’s The Exorcist and released as The House of Exorcism (included in this special edition) the original Lisa and the Devil is Bava at his abstract and delirious best, delivering a 70s horror classic and a masterclass in cinema as feverish nightmare.
Blu-Ray Special Features –
– High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of both versions of the film: Lisa and the Devil and The House of Exorcism producer’s cut
– Optional English and Italian audio on Lisa and the Devil
– English SDH subtitles on both features and a new English subtitle translation of the Italian Audio of Lisa and The Devil
– Audio Commentary on Lisa and The Devil by Bava biographer and expert Tim Lucas
– Audio Commentary on The House of Exorcism by producer Alfredo Leone and star Elke Sommer
– Introductions to both films by author and critic Alan Jones
– The Exorcism of Lisa – Assistant Director Lamberto Bava, screenwriter Roberto Natale, Roy Bava and Alberto Pezzotta discuss the making of both versions of the film
– Deleted Scene
– Original trailers
– Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
– Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by critic and author Stephen Thrower, an interview with Bava from 1976, translated from the original Italian for the first time, illustrated with original stills and archive posters.
Here is a video of the unfinished, never released trailer –