#008 The Thing (1982) (Blu-ray Mondo x SteelBook) (Target Exclusive) [USA]

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Release date: July 28, 2015
Purchase link: The Thing (Mondo SteelBook)
Price: $24.99
Group buy: apsmith21
Note: Region free

Hidefninja.com Exclusive article

Beauty-Shot-the-thing-mondo.jpg

TheThingSleevepic.jpg

Attachments

• thing1.jpg
    thing1.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 965
  • thingfront1.jpg
    thingfront1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 905
Last edited by a moderator:
All right guys, can we please move this along and get back to the steelbook, feel free to continue that discussion in the chat section or by PMs. Thanks.

You also gang have to remembef for its time The Thing ., The Terminator and Jaws NO ONE had seen anything like it .

Poop at 11 years old transfixed watching the Thing and Terminator on a bootleg Beta Max tape .

Now the whole world of CGI has lost a lot of the wow factor that these movies had . Stick on a frog suit on a green background spend Millions you have a Movie .

Back then it was Love , Lerning and craft somewhat forgoten preserved in these works of ginious.

Back in 1983 to an 11 year olc kid IT WAS HORRIFIC as it got .

@Apollon

Posted after your post flower SORRY .

Trying so hard to resist ordering this . Love this movie so much . The artwork just fits everything that is The Thing so right .

Last edited:
I think it looks terrible. It is probably still the best looking edition available though but that really isn't saying much.

I've always loved The Thing and back in the days of VHS I probably watched this at least once a week so this is a no brainer for me. The commentary alone is fantastic and the Carpenter/Russell team is dynamite. Though the artwork isn't really directly from the movie it does capture the feel of the monster and I think it's great.

Not like you,but you're still falling into the trap John Carpenter always lays. If you believed everything he tells you, he might as well have sat at home and put his feet up while the rest of them got on with making the films without him.

He is extremely understated to say the least.
I don't think a living legend like Morricone would let Carpenter take credit for his work.(Nor would ASCAP or BMI). And as musician familiar with Carpenter and Morricone- it is very easy to distinguish many elements that are part of Morricone's pallette and not Carpenter's. The famous opening and closing music is very Carpenter-esque, true. But the rest of the score is very Morricone. In fact, Carpenter himself, thought the score was rather harsh.
Also- this was a large budget movie for Carpenter (his biggest at that time). The reason he didn't score it himself was because the studio would not allow it. He asked Jerry Goldsmith, John Corigliano & Alex North before Morricone said yes. Carpenter was able to point Morricone in a direction- but this is without a doubt Morricone's work.

This one is my favorite. Won't be getting rid of it (pics from the Blu-ray site):

P1020216.jpg

ccS3zUS.jpg

The German Steelbook utilises similar artwork but is marred by its use of the German title, "Das Ding". At least it's a direct translation from the English, so it's something I've learnt to live with.

519Y3hO0pcL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've joined the GB for the Mondo but ever since the post from @C.C. 95 I will, henceforth, forever associate it with Groot, which is a little off-putting!

Reactions: C.C. 95
The German Steelbook utilises similar artwork but is marred by its use of the German title, "Das Ding". At least it's a direct translation from the English, so it's something I've learnt to live with.

View attachment 165702

I've joined the GB for the Mondo but ever since the post from @C.C. 95 I will, henceforth, forever associate it with Groot, which is a little off-putting!
Sorry, @augustus!!:LOL:
image.jpg

P.S. I have Das Ding, and live with it too. Because you can't NOT have a copy of The Thing in your collection with Drew Struzan's Iconic Image!

Last edited:
Most of them have a decent front artwork, a bit too artistic and comic for my tastes.

But what irks me is the back, the so-so inside artwork and the Steelbook logo ruining the look of the spine.

Enders Game is a nice one as they at least debossed the back.
Yeah, damn these artists trying to be artistic. Let's try to keep the art mainstream, Mondo. :meh:

Sorry, Augustus!!:LOL:
View attachment 165750
P.S. I have Das Ding, and live with it too. Because you can't NOT have a copy of The Thing in your collection with Drew Struzan's Iconic Image!

I'm with you 100% regarding Struzan's iconic artwork. I wouldn't want to be without it. I had always hoped that a Steelbook with this particular artwork would be released in other territories, but with its original English title. It may happen one day. This is, after all, Universal that we're talking about here.

As regards the German title, I'm okay with foreign releases of English language films having the title translated into the local language, provided it's a direct translation. So "Das Ding" doesn't pose a problem for me. Where I draw the line, is the original title being translated into something completely different. There have been many Steelbooks which I've passed on for that very reason.

Getting back to the Mondo. When I read your post, I found it quite amusing because I immediately saw the similarities. Unfortunately, since then, every time I look at the artwork, I only see Groot. I'm just hoping that the next time I view this Carpenter masterpiece, a film which I would place up there with the near contemporaneous "Alien" and "The Terminator" in the pantheon of great Science Fiction movies, that I'm able to put the Groot image out of my mind.

Good to chat with you again. It's been a while.

Reactions: C.C. 95