#010 Ex Machina (Mondo x SteelBook) (Best Buy Exclusive) [Canada]

Aug 9, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Release date: July 14, 2015
Purchase link: Ex Machina Mondo
Price: $24.99
Group buy: Drum18 or Biscuitnoir
Notes: Region A locked

EX MACHINA Mondo Blu-ray SteelBook announced | Hi-Def Ninja - Blu-ray SteelBooks - Pop Culture - Movie News

Ex-Machina-Beauty-Shot.png

Ex-Machina-main-w-sleeve.pngEx-Machina-main.pngExMachina-Tilted.pngEx-Machjna-Insidewithinsert.pngEx-Machina-inside.pngEx-Machina_BACK-with-SLEEVE.pngEx-Machina-Back.png

"That image is just the slipcase - looking forward to showing the actual steel book... New art and the finish is unbelievable #ExMachina"

Last edited by a moderator:
First off, Ex Machina was such a good movie, that owning multiple versions of it is completely justifiable. So I'll keep my Zavvi and order a Mondo.

Also, looks like FilmArena is going to be the WWA steel + full slip & goodies.
Like you, I will be triple dipping on Ex-Machina...:happy:

Hmm i think Ex Machina or Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park would be very cool sir.

My only problem so far with Mondo other than region locking is that they pick individual titles with no thought to sequels. Rambo for example when I want 2 to 4 as well. I'd prefer they stick to films that aren't part of a franchise unless they do all of them. [emoji4]

Jurassic Park would be very cool sir.

My only problem so far with Mondo other than region locking is that they pick individual titles with no thought to sequels. Rambo for example when I want 2 to 4 as well. I'd prefer they stick to films that aren't part of a franchise unless they do all of them. [emoji4]
I respectfully disagree, mate. Personally I think there are some film series' where the sequels really don't deserve the same artistic and celebratory treatment that the original films rightly receive. The Jurassic Park and Rambo films are good examples of this. I'm a massive Jurassic Park/Rambo fan and I unabashedly adore the sequels that have been made... but they just happen to be two franchises where only the first film is a true classic if we're being honest (though I do really like the Mondo poster for First Blood Part 2) - Now I also think that the Back to the Future sequels are not as good as the first but with that series it obviously all feels of a piece - thus it makes sense that Mondo eventually releases The Back to the Future trilogy and not just the first film on it's own. Star Wars is another example of a franchise that is of course a story told in three parts essentially, so it would be strange if we got a Mondo steelbook for Empire Strikes Back and not for Return of the Jedi despite any percieved difference in quality.

With Indy... I'd love a Raiders of the Lost Ark steel but I think it would diminish Mondo if, say, they made a steelbook for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull just for the sake of... completing things. With Terminator... Rise of the Machines doesn't deserve the same attention as the first two films. I'm a fan of the Halloween franchise but the first one is the only one that should have the Mondo treatment. Same goes for Robocop, Predator and Jaws. Mondo steelbook for The Godfather 3? Nah. Alien and Aliens, sure! Alien Resurrection, meh. No thanks to a Rocky 5 Mondo Steelbook. I could go on and on with examples really. With Mondo's steelbooks I think there has to be a shift away from that normal mindset of... "Oh, if there's a steelbook for the first film then I obviously want one for the second one as well. The display shelf would look odd otherwise." - When it comes to franchises only the very best entries in those franchises should be considered.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree, mate. Personally I think there are some film series' where the sequels really don't deserve the same artistic and celebratory treatment that the original films rightly receive. The Jurassic Park and Rambo films are good examples of this. I'm a massive Jurassic Park/Rambo fan and I unabashedly adore the sequels that have been made... but they just happen to be two franchises where only the first film is a true classic if we're being honest (though I do really like the Mondo poster for First Blood Part 2) - Now I also think that the Back to the Future sequels are not as good as the first but with that series it obviously all feels of a piece - thus it makes sense that Mondo eventually releases The Back to the Future trilogy and not just the first film on it's own. Star Wars is another example of a franchise that is of course a story told in three parts essentially, so it would be strange if we got a Mondo steelbook for Empire Strikes Back and not for Return of the Jedi despite any percieved difference in quality.

With Indy... I'd love a Raiders of the Lost Ark steel but I think it would diminish Mondo if, say, they made a steelbook for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull just for the sake of... completing things. With Terminator... Rise of the Machines doesn't deserve the same attention as the first two films. I'm a fan of the Halloween franchise but the first one is the only one that should have the Mondo treatment. Same goes for Robocop, Predator and Jaws. Mondo steelbook for The Godfather 3? Nah. Alien and Aliens, sure! Alien Resurrection, meh. No thanks to a Rocky 5 Mondo Steelbook. I could go on and on with examples really. With Mondo's steelbooks I think there has to be a shift away from that normal mindset of... "Oh, if there's a steelbook for the first film then I obviously want one for the second one as well. The display shelf would look odd otherwise." - When it comes to franchises only the very best entries in those franchises should be considered.

Lost World was a far superior film to JP "imo" and the new one is better than the first 3. Rambo I find hard to sit through where the more popular sequels I watch a lot especially the 4th which was far superior and a lot more political in it's message. Some franchises have sequels on equal footing or close where as others like Halloween saw a bunch of terrible films that no one wants to rewatch and I doubt even have Mondo art based on them. Franchises that have Mondo art for all the films like The Star Wars trilogy "theres only 3 SW films at present" or The Dark Knight Trilogy I'd prefer they do as a Trilogy set rather than sell separately so I stand by my post, for a start many of the titles you mention already have great steelbooks already out there, I'd prefer Mondo to either do steels for their best art or steels that don't have a brilliant version already available. I will state I'm not a Mondo fan boy so the fact it's "Mondo" is pretty much worthless to me as I buy for the film then art. There are plenty brilliant films that have mondo art that either don't have steels or poor ones, I'd rather they concentrate on those than utter junk like Looper.:)

Lost World was a far superior film to JP "imo" and the new one is better than the first 3. Rambo I find hard to sit through where the more popular sequels I watch a lot especially the 4th which was far superior and a lot more political in it's message. Some franchises have sequels on equal footing or close where as others like Halloween saw a bunch of terrible films that no one wants to rewatch and I doubt even have Mondo art based on them. Franchises that have Mondo art for all the films like The Star Wars trilogy "theres only 3 SW films at present" or The Dark Knight Trilogy I'd prefer they do as a Trilogy set rather than sell separately so I stand by my post, for a start many of the titles you mention already have great steelbooks already out there, I'd prefer Mondo to either do steels for their best art or steels that don't have a brilliant version already available. I will state I'm not a Mondo fan boy so the fact it's "Mondo" is pretty much worthless to me as I buy for the film then art. There are plenty brilliant films that have mondo art that either don't have steels or poor ones, I'd rather they concentrate on those than utter junk like Looper.:)
Sorry, buddy. You lost me at Lost World > Jurassic Park... and then again at... Jurassic World > Jurassic Park. Heh. You're entitled to your opinions but I'm entitled to think that's silly. And I say that without any malice or ill will. There's no point in derailing this topic more than we have done. May as well leave it there.

Sorry, buddy. You lost me at Lost World > Jurassic Park... and then again at... Jurassic World > Jurassic Park. Heh. You're entitled to your opinions but I'm entitled to think that's silly. And I say that without any malice or ill will. There's no point in derailing this topic more than we have done. May as well leave it there.

I guess I'm too old to buy into the Jurassic Park hype, I enjoyed the film when it came out but being in my 20's by then it just didn't have the wow factor it most likely provided for younger viewers. I'm not alone in my opinion many film critics also prefer the second film in terms of action and suspense, so my opinion is far from "silly", it was better made, better acted, had far better set pieces and the stealing of the King Kong idea was pure genius.

I guess I'm too old to buy into the Jurassic Park hype, I enjoyed the film when it came out but being in my 20's by then it just didn't have the wow factor it most likely provided for younger viewers. I'm not alone in my opinion many film critics also prefer the second film in terms of action and suspense, so my opinion is far from "silly", it was better made, better acted, had far better set pieces and the stealing of the King Kong idea was pure genius.
I'm not a fan of any of the JPs. I was also in my early 20s when it came out. And 'cool dino' effects aside- pretty much everyone I knew condsidered it C-grade Speilberg (as I do). It is nothing but setpieces for action/effects scenes. It is kinda dumbfounding to me how there are people who consider JP to be a Spielberg gem in the same way I consider Raiders/Jaws/Close Encounters to be a Spielberg gem. They are not even in the same weight class! Jurassic Park sits beside 1941 and A.I. in Spielberg's Pantheon. A special effects reel, really. A well done one, but there is no meat on that bone. (And that can be said of all Crichton screenplays).

Reactions: psychoscot
I'm not a fan of any of the JPs. I was also in my early 20s when it came out. And 'cool dino' effects aside- pretty much everyone I knew condsidered it C-grade Speilberg (as I do). It is nothing but setpieces for action/effects scenes. It is kinda dumbfounding to me how there are people who consider JP to be a Spielberg gem in the same way I consider Raiders/Jaws/Close Encounters to be a Spielberg gem. They are not even in the same weight class! Jurassic Park sits beside 1941 and A.I. in Spielberg's Pantheon. A special effects reel, really. A well done one, but there is no meat on that bone. (And that can be said of all Crichton screenplays).

I wouldn't go quite as far but I partially agree with your opinion. It was way overhyped and no where near as good as many of his other films outside of the effects.:thumbs:

Reactions: C.C. 95
Right, I'm back in. I honestly can't let you get away with such a vague statement... "many film critics also prefer the second film in terms of action and suspense." - For one, I highly doubt that there are.. many.. and feel free to direct me to some example reviews. The first film currently sits at 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and the second sits at 53%. You must respect the vast difference between the critical opinion on both films if you're happy enough to cite that there are some critics out there who think the second was more... suspenseful. I don't dislike The Lost World. I like all of the Jurassic Park films including the new one. But to say that The Lost World is better than Jurassic Park, that it was better made with better performances is akin to saying that the Hobbit films are superior to the Lord of the Rings films. Now if you'd said that you like The Lost World more than Jurassic Park and you find you get more enjoyment out of the sequel... then that's totally cool. But to say that any of the sequels are fundamentally better films than the first one is madness. I'm sorry that I've ended up going from using the word silliness to using the word madness.