#017 The Avengers (Variant) (Blu-ray Mondo X SteelBook) (Blufans Exclusive) [China]

Dec 16, 2011
Shanghai
Release date: August 31st,2016
Purchase link: Blufans
Price: $42.99
Group buy: hosted by Wreck
Note: Variant Sleeve - Full Gloss

123055cr0rdggdtdgg1tlt.jpg
123101cayfabl5p2pcyzvb.jpg

11532852n992driqc0z2oi.jpg

115324beu5ezexc6zgkzfn.jpg

115322efoocroqehx5cex2.jpg

115319bbuhuh2hhzyu1bza.jpg

115318s4qhp02x47oo4yo7.jpg

1200088e3nzwyc4e78yex8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got mine today, and I was excited until I saw the deep trench across the front.
You can see it in my pic here. I noticed the one posted by usedtobe appears to have a similar warping.
I've never bought from blufans before, is this standard quality control from them?
View attachment 262360
Damn, that sucks. :(

Is it an actual dent in the steelbook, or just the slip? I'm pretty worried about how mine will turn up now. :ohno:

I had the same problem with Shaun of the Dead.
I used a hairdryer so it get soft again...but be careful use it at a distance not directly on the sllipcover.
After the dent was gone I put it back one...worked like a charm...
Use it on your own risk :stop:

• Thanks
Reactions: apsmith21
Absolutely, this makes it obviously difficult for you. Strange that they can't give you a date when shipped. And this requires a signature, at least all my packages from PA, Nova, Kimchi do and I can see that in my tracking.

Just checked and now shipping details have been added, as of today. No scan yet, because it's not in the system yet.

Pretty sure it just got mailed today. :rolleyes:

I spoke to Blufans CS about this, and so far they're offering to send a replacement "Variant PET slip". (I'm not sure what "PET" is)

But now I'm worried about something else.
I never intended to open up my copy because the shrink wrap on this thing appears to be the only thing that has the number/2000 on it.
So, A, a replacement slip isn't ideal. B, I'm afraid to open this up to see if there is damage on the physical steelbook itself. :dunno:

Damn, that sucks. :(

Is it an actual dent in the steelbook, or just the slip? I'm pretty worried about how mine will turn up now. :ohno:

So, that's the thing, I don't know if the steelbook is dented underneath the slip because I don't want to remove the shrinkwrap, and I can't tell by feeling it if the steelbook is damaged underneath.
My guess is that the steelbook is probably fine underneath, it was maybe just the heat that caused the plastic to warp.

I spoke to Blufans CS about this, and so far they're offering to send a replacement "Variant PET slip". (I'm not sure what "PET" is)

But now I'm worried about something else.
I never intended to open up my copy because the shrink wrap on this thing appears to be the only thing that has the number/2000 on it.
So, A, a replacement slip isn't ideal. B, I'm afraid to open this up to see if there is damage on the physical steelbook itself. :dunno:

So, that's the thing, I don't know if the steelbook is dented underneath the slip because I don't want to remove the shrinkwrap, and I can't tell by feeling it if the steelbook is damaged underneath.
My guess is that the steelbook is probably fine underneath, it was maybe just the heat that caused the plastic to warp.
PET stands for polyethylene terephthalate, so they'll probably send you a new variant slip. Ask them if they can send you a replacement sticker too.

Mine arrived at the Post Office on the 2nd, and unfortunately I didn't get home from work in-time to get it so I gotta pick it up from them tomorrow and then just gotta wait for my Standard copy to get here.

This was a pretty common problem with the Target wave of the Universal Mondo steelbooks (The Thing is where I saw it happen the most) - steelbooks were in fine shape but the plastic slip ended up warped - generally in the same place on a very large number of copies I saw.

If you compress the steelbook lightly with your thumb or finger, does it bounce back? If it does it's likely in fine shape, dents won't bounce back into shape.

I received mine 2 days ago, opened them yesterday. The slips are definitely a problem. They are way too snug. For those of you that take them out of the plastic, like I do, it was close to impossible. The steelbook is wrapped in plastic inside of the slip in addition to the plastic wrap on the outside. While I appreciate the extra protection, it made it very difficult to take out of the slip cover. And the slip cover is dented outwards on the corners. This was the case for both the variant and the regular.

I agree with the slips being too snug. Mine appears to be fine but when I unwrapped the actual Steelbook after unwrapping the plastic wrap around the entire slip + book, the steelbook wouldn't fit through the slip from the bottom up, I had to insert it from the top-down. None of my other Mondos are like that so I am a bit weirded out by that.

If you compress the steelbook lightly with your thumb or finger, does it bounce back? If it does it's likely in fine shape, dents won't bounce back into shape.

I don't notice any bounce back. I don't want to press too hard, but I'm not sensing any 'hard' warping when I press down. Pressing down just seems to flatten out the part of the slip I'm pressing down on, and that appears to be it.

In either case, Blufans CS is being pretty cool about the whole thing. They told me to ship my copy to one of their North American locations and they'll cover the shipping cost + send me a whole replacement. This is my first time buying from them and I really appreciate the service.

With some of the other complaints here about the "snugness" of the slips, I'm really beginning to think that these might have been left in the heat during some leg of their journey (either from Mondo to Blufans, in Blufans storage, or during shipping from Blufans). I guess this kind of thing is hard to avoid for big international movement of a sensitive product.

• Thanks
Reactions: apsmith21
Got this today and I love the steel and slip but to be honest I'm dissapointed with the rippling waves on it that others are saying they have.
I didn't realise the steel was going to be shrinkwraped Inside and around the PET slip too.
It's extremely tight too like others are saying and I was wondering if it's because the steel is also in plastic. It also looks like where the steel is so tight it's pushed the glue out on the PET spine causing it to ripple. Not sure though

I can also only put the steel back through one way.
I haven't opened the sealed steel yet because I'm a bit worried the steel will scratch going back in the slip so for now I'll keep it sealed.

I'm going to email blufans to see if this is to all slips or just some. If they have slips without ripples then i would like a new PET sent to me

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Got this today and I love the steel and slip but to be honest I'm dissapointed with the rippling waves on it that others are saying they have.
I didn't realise the steel was going to be shrinkwraped Inside and around the PET slip too.
It's extremely tight too like others are saying and I was wondering if it's because the steel is also in plastic. It also looks like where the steel is so tight it's pushed the glue out on the PET spine causing it to ripple. Not sure though

I can also only put the steel back through one way.
I haven't opened the sealed steel yet because I'm a bit worried the steel will scratch going back in the slip so for now I'll keep it sealed.

I'm going to email blufans to see if this is to all slips or just some. If they have slips without ripples then i would like a new PET sent to me

View attachment 263218

View attachment 263205 View attachment 263214 View attachment 263217
They're definitely not all like this mate... maybe more are than not though. My variant is fine, whereas my copy of the standard version has the same ripple problem. I also wondered if the fact that the steel is so tight inside the slip is what caused the issue... took me a good 5 mins to actually get my steel out. Not sure why they felt the need to shrinkwrap the steelbook at all to be honest, but hey-ho. Think I'll probably contact them about my faulty slip anyway, as it's bugging me, especially after the price I paid.

• Thanks
Reactions: Flloydo
They're definitely not all like this mate... maybe more are than not though. My variant is fine, whereas my copy of the standard version has the same ripple problem. I also wondered if the fact that the steel is so tight inside the slip is what caused the issue... took me a good 5 mins to actually get my steel out. Not sure why they felt the need to shrinkwrap the steelbook at all to be honest, but hey-ho. Think I'll probably contact them about my faulty slip anyway, as it's bugging me, especially after the price I paid.

Ah ok good to know mate

Yeah I'm the same, after that price I want this immaculate considering its barebones

I'll contact them later, I'll let you know how I get on

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Just checked and now shipping details have been added, as of today. No scan yet, because it's not in the system yet.

Pretty sure it just got mailed today. :rolleyes:

Didn't notice your reply until now Andy.

Yeah, looks like they took their time to ship! What does the tracking say now?

I received my copies today. 2.5 weeks, I can live with that. My copies looks perfect, no visible issues that I can see.

hhTkc2.jpg
ha7fUz.jpg

Also like these boxes better than those from PA, Kimchi etc. This is more sturdy.
gJ6qnD.jpg
CyvwkK.jpg

I received my copies today. 2.5 weeks, I can live with that. My copies looks perfect, no visible issues that I can see.

Tracking says Acceptance on September 3rd and it left Shanghai later that day.

Given the USA labor day holiday, I'm not surprised the package has not been scanned in the USA yet, but hopefully it is soon and I have it before the weekend.

Glad yours arrived safely!

Reactions: spass

hhTkc2.jpg
ha7fUz.jpg

Also like these boxes better than those from PA, Kimchi etc. This is more sturdy.
gJ6qnD.jpg
CyvwkK.jpg

So @Noodles is right, they do have non rippled slips. Drafting my email now

Glad yours is fine mate. Variant is very cool

Reactions: spass
Hope you get sorted mate.

Just messaged them, when I emailed them a few weeks ago to ask to get it marks at a certain price thy got back to me quick so I'm hoping the same.

Also my package was marked very low. I asked for $18 but I think it was $11.55 on the box.