1917 (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: May 18, 2020
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order January 10 at 9 AM UK Time)
Price: £29.99

1917.jpg
12437995-5724735195364988.jpg

Last edited:
I like it too. In a perfect world I’d like it smooth satin matte black with a debossed and spot glossed 1917 image
Yeah man, that would look really classy - like the original HMV Thor (satin with spot-gloss).

grabbed a copy on preorder. great film, well made. rewatchable, for me.

OK, I can definitely understand that. Thanks for taking the time to explain! And since you put it that way, it reminded me that Shindler's List is a similar example for me... great film, but one I find myself putting off wanting to rewatch just because of how raw/unpleasant it is. Apart from that, I can't really think of any other films I think are great that I wouldn't rewatch... The Pianist maybe? Although I have seen that a couple times now lol. Oh, actually... The Broken Circle Breakdown - such a heartbreaking film.
agree with you on Schindler's. a difficult watch , mainly for me because FIennes is so very believable as an utter ****. others in this category: Requiem for a Dream, Dancer in the Dark. :blackeye:
I'll probably get roasted for this, but there are a bunch of films that would be considered iconic that I couldn't sit through again.

Some of these would be:
Apocalypse Now.
Taxi Driver.
Chinatown.
The Deer Hunter.
don't agree with you on some, but i was re-wathing ChInatown the other day, and in the final scene...
...where Noah Cross grabs Katherine across the mouth and drags here away, stayed with me for days. :hurting:
Hold up a minute... a lot of people hate Jaws?! Who are these imbeciles? :bored: :p

I have a massive phobia of sharks and the open sea, but I love me some Jaws! :D
recomendation - take up scuba diving! :happy: i love diving with sharks, amazing creatures. :woot:
Welp, I was under the age of 0 in the 70s. :p

I had absolutely no interest in older movies until I was in my twenties, and even then it took me a while to get into them and find ones I truly loved. Now I love a classic film! Granted there are some where I simply don't understand the hype... Citizen Kane for example. Like you though, it probably has a lot to do with me not growing up with them and having watched them when they were first released, therefore not truly appreciating their achievements in cinema.
Citizen Kane is an interesting one. i like it and can re-watch it, but a lot of the hype is around film craft. for example, the opening shot where the camera zooms towards the roof window and then apparently through it - no-one had done that before. lots of things we take for granted in cinema were introduced in Citizen Kane. but i do also think it's a great story and wth some cracking acting, :thumbs:

Last edited:
Reactions: jasong and Noodles
Welp, I was under the age of 0 in the 70s. :p

I had absolutely no interest in older movies until I was in my twenties, and even then it took me a while to get into them and find ones I truly loved. Now I love a classic film! Granted there are some where I simply don't understand the hype... Citizen Kane for example. Like you though, it probably has a lot to do with me not growing up with them and having watched them when they were first released, therefore not truly appreciating their achievements in cinema.

This I can so relate to! I absolutely love a classic now! Although there is a VERY popular film from the 80s that I just cannot get into nor get the hype. (I was born in '89).

Reactions: Stygian and Noodles
This I can so relate to! I absolutely love a classic now! Although there is a VERY popular film from the 80s that I just cannot get into nor get the hype. (I was born in '89).
Hmm now I'm curious as to what the film is... hopefully it's not one that I love and will therefore forever ruin our friendship! :bored: :p

Hoping not many see notifications for this thread... Goonies!
Yeah I bought the Blu-ray cheap a couple of years ago because I had never watched it before.
It did nothing for me. By then I was too old for this.
Haha to be honest, I can see why... I think the main reason I like is due to nostalgia. There's plenty of popular films I personally didn't grow up with, so therefore don't understand the hype... Indiana Jones for example.

Haha to be honest, I can see why... I think the main reason I like is due to nostalgia. There's plenty of popular films I personally didn't grow up with, so therefore don't understand the hype... Indiana Jones for example.

Aw man, sorry to hear that you didn't get that same WOW feeling from the first 3 movies. I saw those movies in the theatre at the ages of 11,14 and 19 and I love them!
But yeah it's funny that whole I-guess-you-had-to-be-there-at-that-time to appreciate them factor .

Hoping not many see notifications for this thread... Goonies!

Reading through this thread and when I saw your post I thought, I wonder if it's The Goonies.

I certainly think it is a film for the time. The hype around Indiana Jones helped. Everyone loved Sloth too. I enjoy the film for the nostalgia, and love the Drew Struzan Steelbook :)

I have yet to see 1917. Not usually a big war film fan, but will have a look once it releases for home view.

This is why this is the best community I've been a part of, no horror, just understanding. I enjoy Indi @Noodles but definitely get where you're coming from. I guess for most films if you saw them at release and it's regarded an icon it holds a bigger space in your heart. The Dark Knight holds that most for me.

Now, back to 1917. I saw this movie recently, while I enjoyed it and absolutely appreciate it's beauty, the direction and the acting... War films these days are just trying to be too artsy. Looking at you Dunkirk. I said it privately recently and I still maintain we need Winding-Refn to do a war movie and we've got a complete arty war trilogy for the 2010-2020 decades.

As for the art, the movie reiterated for me how bloody lazy the design is. While I do feel it's very artsy, I think @Noodles design captures the intensity intended by Mendes the best. You've smashed it again buddy!

Reactions: Noodles