paulboland

Contributor Steels/Arrow
Contributor
Premium Supporter
Sep 10, 2012
Navan/Ireland
Release date: October 29, 2018
Purchase link: Amazon UK - Zavvi - HMV
Price: £28.99 (Amazon) - £34.99 (Zavvi - HMV)
Notes: 3 Discs

11865338-2044608232858599-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He's in my camp . . . or rather I'm in his - Stanley Kauffman of New Republic, called it "a film that is so dull, it even dulls our interest in the technical ingenuity for the sake of which Kubrick has allowed it to become dull."

Probably need to be trippin' to fully appreciate it.

Can't fault the music though . . . and Strauss' "Also Sprach Zarathustra" always takes me back to the July - August Cannes firework festival . . . and the 'Beyond the Infinite' 20 or so minute section syncs up beautifully with "Echoes" courtesy Pink Floyd's "Meddle" LP:-

Last edited:
You think someone else will have the same steelbook available?

I'm not sticking up for the price I would like if it cost less ;) but you can't expect a 3 Disc new remastered 4K steelbook to cost less than a 4K amaray with same discs content

It's not a steelbook repackaged with previous older blu-ray like it was in 2015

It's a shared print run European release
Price in Europe will vary but you can expect steelbook to be around €33 to €39 with various retailers in europe and with each retailer only getting limited amount of stock a big price drop be unlikely

Reactions: Manpreet
lol, £35, I couldn't care less if the amaray price is that high too, they can stick both versions right where the sun don't shine. They think that because everyone's going digital now, that they can/should shaft the few remaining people that buy physical releases even harder?

4K is nice, and I can tell the difference between it and 1080p, but 1080p is fine. It's not like the VHS to DVD jump, or even DVD to Blu Ray. They need to seriously rethink things if they plan on trying to charge these prices. I've spent a lot of money on this stuff but even I have limits.

Total agree got this on Apple tv 4k for £2.50 in there sales the price of steelbooks is going up and up no wounded these no money in them anymore

Total agree got this on Apple tv 4k for £2.50 in there sales the price of steelbooks is going up and up no wounded these no money in them anymore
Apple TV is not the new 4K remastered scan yet it's the older HD transfer

It's won't be available until October 2018 to get new 4K remastered edition from itunes

So Amazon is showing the UHD Steelbook, with "Format: 4K" in the description, but much cheaper than other retailers. Is a non 4K Steelbook planned and Amazon messed it up?

So Amazon is showing the UHD Steelbook, with "Format: 4K" in the description, but much cheaper than other retailers. Is a non 4K Steelbook planned and Amazon messed it up?
A non 4K steelbook with new remaster is not been released in the UK but that could happen later

Amazon UK listing is the 4K steelbook
3 Discs
4K UHD
Blu-ray
Blu-ray bonus disc

Retailers list same or different prices with new releases nothing new in this.

The bigger file discount you have as a retailer you can reduce prices
Smaller retailers sell at RRP as they would have less unit orders with distributors.

The amount of units allocated to the UK retailers with this steelbook is a limited qty compared to usual amount with other trade wide UK steelbook releases.

This could possibly sell out quick with Amazon and HMV before release date.
HMV have said they very limited amount of stock to guy who runs steelbook news

It's a shared print run in europe so UK retailers are getting less units than if it was a separate print run for the UK.

If you want this steelbook best to pre order now

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: goufcustom
Apple TV is not the new 4K remastered scan yet it's the older HD transfer

It's won't be available until October 2018 to get new 4K remastered edition from itunes
When the 4K edition does become digitally available in October won’t Apple TV / ITunes (£5:99) automatically upgrade the previous purchase to 4K at no extra cost?

I thought that they just updated your digital library to the best HD transfer

£35 is too expensive for for this new transfer and it will be interesting to see what the prices will be when FAC, Manta HDZeta etc release the inevitable limited edition full slips and lenticular slips as currently I am looking around the £50 - £55 price mark including delivery.

Digital copies have many benefits but you just can’t beat owning a decent quality Steelbook with all the bells and whistles:)

When the 4K edition does become digitally available in October won’t Apple TV / ITunes (£5:99) automatically upgrade the previous purchase to 4K at no extra cost?

I thought that they just updated your digital library to the best HD transfer

£35 is too expensive for for this new transfer and it will be interesting to see what the prices will be when FAC, Manta HDZeta etc release the inevitable limited edition full slips and lenticular slips as currently I am looking around the £50 - £55 price mark including delivery.

Digital copies have many benefits but you just can’t beat owning a decent quality Steelbook with all the bells and whistles:)
I doubt this will be a free upgrade from HD previous purchase with Apple TV 4K as it's a new remastered version of the film with new extras content
It would be considered a new film listing
I don't have Apple TV so I can't be 100% if you would get it as a free upgrade be cool if you do

Have you got free upgrade before to a new 4K release that has new edition of the film with new audio and new extras to previous older HD release

Apple TV and itunes will likely have 2 listings in october.

Last edited:
I doubt this will be a free upgrade from HD previous purchase with Apple TV 4K as it's a new remastered version of the film with new extras content
I don't have Apple TV so I can't be 100% if you would get it as a free upgrade be cool if you do

Have you got free upgrade before to a new 4K release that has new edition of the film with new audio and new extras to previous older HD release

ITunes upgrade all movies to 4k for free you only have to pay once for a movie in the bottom or top of movies it'll say 4k or hd had die hard in hd then when 4k was released it upgraded free with the new extras i think there where new extras i may have that wrong

I believe that the original Predator film was recently upgraded to 4K (not checked the quality compared to the previous Blu-Ray transfer) and added to the extras is the latest trailers for The Predator but I am not sure if any additional extras were added, Die Hard was also upgraded as far as I am aware.

I believe that there are other films but I have not really looked into it:)

I believe that the original Predator film was recently upgraded to 4K (not checked the quality compared to the previous Blu-Ray transfer) and added to the extras is the latest trailers for The Predator but I am not sure if any additional extras were added, Die Hard was also upgraded as far as I am aware.

I believe that there are other films but I have not really looked into it:)
That's good free upgrade if you are into streaming films from Itunes on Apple 4K TV player which is on the increase especially with younger generation.

I prefer though myself physical discs and attention to packaging etc
Streaming is ok as long as your internet collection is reliable but not as good as physical discs
I have this on pre order both steelbook and amaray collectors edition with booklet and art cards

Just checked on the Apple TV information page and it states that all purchased films are automatically upgraded free of charge when they become available.

Totally agree with you and I too prefer physical discs but in Steelbook cases only and I have placed an order for this Steelbook from Amazon for a more reasonable price of £28:99 but I will cancel if a more collectible edition from FAC, Manta Lab etc becomes available:thumbs:

Reactions: paulboland
That's good free upgrade if you are into streaming films from Itunes on Apple 4K TV player which is on the increase especially with younger generation.

I prefer though myself physical discs and attention to packaging etc
Streaming is ok as long as your internet collection is reliable but not as good as physical discs
I have this on pre order both steelbook and amaray collectors edition with booklet and art cards

Can you see Steelbooks going up in price because of physical media dying out I mean movies are being released earlier on Digital media. I mean can you justify paying £30 for one movie when you can get that one movie on digital media for like 5 pound or even £10 less than the physical copy. Plus you have the benefit of watching movie two or even three weeks earlier than physical media I mean I like physical media but. The reason why I stopped collecting steelbooks was because a lot of them turned up damaged scratched or even just having crap artwork I just think studios Are turning lazy when it comes to steelbook artwork that we are relying on overseas companies to design steelbooks with the best artwork but having to pay a lot more for them and pay a lot more for shipping

Reactions: Sigill
Is the Amazon edition 4K with 3 discs? It's currently listed as a Blu-Ray steelbook. Description error?