Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2012
Pennsylvania
Release date: November 20, 2018
Purchase link: Best Buy
Price: $29.99

6289680_sa.jpg

Last edited:
Steelbook and regular release are delayed till November 20th, 2018.

Warner Bros issued a new press release.

New press release:
‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ to Debut on 4K Ultra HD Nov. 20 From Warner

As part of the 50th anniversary of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will release the groundbreaking science fiction epic on 4K Ultra High Definition Blu-ray in premium collectible packaging and 4K UHD digital Nov. 20.

The classic returned to U.S. theaters in May following the debut of an “unrestored” 70mm print at the 71st annual Cannes Film Festival. The film is playing throughout the summer at select theaters. For the first time since the original release, new 70mm prints were struck from pristine printing elements made from the original camera negative. A longtime admirer of the Kubrick, director Christopher Nolan (Dunkirk, Interstellar, Inception) worked closely with the team at Warner throughout the mastering process. Building on the work done for the new 70mm prints, the 4K UHD with HDR presentation was mastered from the 65mm original camera negative. The 4K UHD also includes both a remixed and restored 5.1 DTS-HD master audio track, as well as the original 1968 six-track theatrical audio mix (formatted for 5.1 DTS-HD master audio).

“2001 to me is the most cinematic film that has ever been made and it has been an honour and a privilege to be able to share the film with a new generation,” Nolan said in a statement. “4K UHD allows the closest recreation of viewing the original film print in your own home. Kubrick’s masterpiece was originally presented on large format film and the deeper color palette and superior resolution comes closest to matching the original analogue presentation.”

Originally released in the 70mm Cinerama roadshow format on April 4, 1968, 2001: A Space Odyssey was directed and produced by Kubrick and written by Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke, inspired by Clarke’s short story “The Sentinel.”

The 2001: A Space Odyssey 4K UHD Blu-ray with premium packaging ($41.99) includes the feature film in 4K resolution with HDR (including Dolby Vision HDR), a remastered Blu-ray disc, a Blu-ray disc with the special features in HD, and a digital version of the feature film. The premium packaging also includes a collectible booklet and art cards featuring iconic images from the film.

The remastered Blu-ray Disc will also be available as a standalone product at $19.98.

2001: A Space Odyssey is also available for purchase in 4K UHD from select digital retailers, including iTunes, Google and Vudu on October 30.

The 2001: A Space Odyssey 4K UHD contains the following 4K and Blu-ray elements:

4K UHD Blu-ray with Commentary from Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood
Remastered Blu-ray with Commentary from Dullea and Lockwood
“The Making of a Myth”
“Standing on the Shoulders of Kubrick: The Legacy of 2001”
“Vision of a Future Passed: The Prophecy of 2001”
“2001: A Space Odyssey – A Look Behind the Future”
“What Is Out There?”
“2001: FX and Early Conceptual Artwork”
“Look: Stanley Kubrick!”
a Nov. 27, 1966 Interview with Stanley Kubrick (audio only)
the original Theatrical Trailer
a premium booklet
art cards
The 2001: A Space Odyssey Blu-ray disc contains the remastered Blu-ray with commentary from Dullea and Lockwood.

Steelbook and regular release are delayed till November 20th, 2018.

Warner Bros issued a new press release.

New press release:

I just received an email from Best Buy in Canada saying that my order has been shipped. The folks in the UK have received dispatch emails from HMV. So either that press release about a Nov. 20th release date is incorrect or perhaps maybe that's just for the U.S.

Has anybody in the U.S. received any shipping emails?

I just received an email from Best Buy in Canada saying that my order has been shipped. The folks in the UK have received dispatch emails from HMV. So either that press release about a Nov. 20th release date is incorrect or perhaps maybe that's just for the U.S.

UK release date has nothing to do with USA release date

Warner USA and Warner UK are different companies
That press release was from Warner USA

UK release date is Monday 29th October
USA release date is listed as Tuesday November 20th

Reactions: Stygian
Apparently there are issues at the US disc replication facility, some titles across possibly multiple studios may be delayed in the US.

Considering Warner has this, the eight movie Harry Potter Steelbook box, the Matrix sequels, the Matrix Steelbooks, the Matrix Trilogy, Superman The Movie, and probably a handful of other things coming out this week and next, it makes sense that some of it could be delayed.

Apparently there are issues at the US disc replication facility, some titles across possibly multiple studios may be delayed in the US.

Considering Warner has this, the eight movie Harry Potter Steelbook box, the Matrix sequels, the Matrix Steelbooks, the Matrix Trilogy, Superman The Movie, and probably a handful of other things coming out this week and next, it makes sense that some of it could be delayed.

Is Superman: The Movie the new 4K release? I saw a listing on Zavvi for it but I haven't been able to find it on Amazon in Canada.

Amazon (USA) shipped mine today, it arrives tomorrow. Best Buy has delayed the steel till the 20th. Very strange release this one! :D

The press release is right. What can be shipped will be shipped, if you are lucky among them. After that the stock levels are low/empty.

The date being moved to the 20th of next month instead of tomorrow means I will skil Kin for sure and get this instead

Does it include a digital copy?

it does. Tho this release is definitely about the hard disc given all the restoration and attention to the project. I don't normally get a separate sheet detailing what all was done, but this one I did and it was 2 pages. Nice write up. Maybe i can find online somewhere. I already sent the movie off to the reviewer so I cant look back at it. got some pics of the edition tho ill post up later.

• Informative
Reactions: howarmat and dfoles
it does. Tho this release is definitely about the hard disc given all the restoration and attention to the project. I don't normally get a separate sheet detailing what all was done, but this one I did and it was 2 pages. Nice write up. Maybe i can find online somewhere. I already sent the movie off to the reviewer so I cant look back at it. got some pics of the edition tho ill post up later.

Could you check what subtitles are available? Are they same as the UK release?

Could you check what subtitles are available? Are they same as the UK release?
Hi. Welcome for your first post :)

Stick around :)

And here’s the pics. Here’s the subs listed if there is more on disc I can’t check already mailed out. I seen pics of UK box tho and it’s not as nice as this one. Finish wise.

A926144F-E485-4490-8A26-702E3EF07188.jpeg
9DC88DE8-CB88-4243-929A-FC492FFBAD65.jpeg
63DCDA53-8209-4784-9E6A-C4179C4CB726.jpeg

Attachments

• E96843D8-5B7E-473F-B8D7-E9C55DB5B0C2.jpeg
    E96843D8-5B7E-473F-B8D7-E9C55DB5B0C2.jpeg
    620.3 KB · Views: 185
  • B437A2C0-82C9-40EB-BBED-3BA264ED6CCD.jpeg
    B437A2C0-82C9-40EB-BBED-3BA264ED6CCD.jpeg
    897.8 KB · Views: 178
The title looks embossed.
It is. it reminds a lot of the quality of close encounters slipbox from original blu-ray release. the red is almost like a red foil too. as you can see the tightness of shrink showing the goodies inside arent a perfect fit thus there is some wiggle room in there. Maybe a steelbook can fit inside easily if tall enough.

• Thanks
the amaray set is miles better than the steelbook. I have the UK edition and very nice it us too. I returned my steelbook order due to damage and invested in the far superior amaray.
a really sturdy slipbox, embossed, withe the booklet and postcards in a neat folder. Recommended.