The Ebay Seller/Policies Discussion Thread

Apr 26, 2012
UK,south yorkshire
Q) What is the purpose of this thread?
A) To discuss Ebay policies/issues

Q) Where can i find the Ebay Presale Policy?
A) Click HERE

Q) Can a HDN Trade mod help me with an Ebay sale/trade issue? Also why is there no 'ebay bad traders' list?
A) Simply put, no. To find out why, ensure you read the following spoiler:
please use this thread as a RESOURCE to ask your fellow members about problems you've had with a reseller or questions about e-bay.

do NOT use this thread to attack or refute other members. if you an e-bay dispute with a member here, perhaps it's best to approach a trading mod before posting? we don't police e-bay, but maybe we can give you a tip or two.

if members ignore these suggestions, then the thread might be locked for a couple of weeks.

thank you.

hey folks,

as a reminder what myself (and other mods) have continued to mention via private message, e-mail and other areas. we do NOT police other trading marketplaces like ebay, youtube, amazon and the rest.

there is ONLY a certain amount of information at our disposal and we do not have the resources in these other locations as we do on this forum - things that we can look at and evaluate.

having said that, there are trading rules on this forum that have been instituted for your own protection for trading transactions that happen HERE.

this includes the pending / active sales threads, the requirement of feedback posted for any new traders, our support ticketing system, the active investigations held by trading moderators and many other things we do not discuss openly.

we have long held that problems occurring on these other forums and marketplaces should be taken the appropriate authorities on THOSE websites.

many of you are established traders here on this forum and you should know all about the guidelines that are stickied in this section - including having new traders send first, getting tracking from the other party and proof of shipment, and what other precautions can be taken to protect your trading safety.

trading via ebay and their messaging system is against their stated policy and should not occur - and there are reasons why they have created that policy. you don't have protection of paypal or their listing system as a buyer or seller.

having said that, if there is trouble with an ebay seller or buyer, you should go to their website and report it there. if you are not aware of this process, follow the below link for more information.

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/buy/report-trading.html

so folks can feel free to chat about a seller or buyer that they are having problems with, but I can tell you right now - there will not be a "witch hunt" by moderators or staff based on one person's account of the problems or trouble they are having - and we limit the action taken for or against members here to transactions that occurred on this forum.

as stated in the thread title of our bad traders list - that list is for FORUM MEMBERS ONLY.

thank you.
Q) Where can i find the HDN Buyer Beware / Bad Traders list?
A) You can find the thread HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
hi everyone not sure if this is the right place to post this..

i bought a steelbook off ebay which was described as like new with no damage it has come to me damaged i have contacted the seller and he has just said sorry i sent it as described it is out of my hands there is nothing i can do..

what i can i do?

any advice would be great thanks

:)

did the seller write in the description that it has no damage? or did only the condition say "like new"

in some cases, lazy/dishonest sellers do not mention anything in the description. but since the condition is "like-new", it is implied that the item is not damaged

well, in any case, it sounds like a dishonest seller to me. if he didnt mention any damage in the description, then you have a case, and you should definitely open a case with ebay

in cases like these, dont be shy about leaving negative feedback

did the seller write in the description that it has no damage? or did only the condition say "like new"

in some cases, lazy/dishonest sellers do not mention anything in the description. but since the condition is "like-new", it is implied that the item is not damaged

well, in any case, it sounds like a dishonest seller to me. if he didnt mention any damage in the description, then you have a case, and you should definitely open a case with ebay

in cases like these, dont be shy about leaving negative feedback

Yes he wrote in the description no dents dings or scratches
And all he says its out if his hands he sent it perfect and doesnt know how the damage occured

Silly question; I know you said the listing said 'like new', but was he selling it sealed or open?

Either way I'd take it up with eBay. Regardless of what he says, the fact is he's the guy you bought it from and he's the guy who has your money. Can't imagine chasing up Royal Mail or whoever will get you very far.

It's amazing how many buyers don't read anything in the listing before bidding. I've had to relist the same slipcover at least three times because each winner didn't read the title, description, or even look at the picture!

Just yesterday I found out someone had left me neutral feedback because I shipped them a slipcover that clearly showed in the title, subtitle, description, and three photos that it was the slipcover only. The feedback said I made it seem like it included the "DVD". When they first messaged me asking for a refund, I said I would refund as soon as I received the return. Didn't hear back. A couple weeks later, I messaged again. Didn't hear back. Then I see that they left me neutral feedback. When I messaged again, they finally responded saying they should've left negative feedback and not to message them again :angry:

Last edited:
It's amazing how many buyers don't read anything in the listing before bidding. I've had to relist the same slipcover at least three times because each winner didn't read read the title, description, or even look at the picture!

Just yesterday I found out someone had left me neutral feedback because I shipped them a slipcover that clearly showed in the title, subtitle, description, and three photos that it was the slipcover only. The feedback said I made it seem like it included the "DVD". When they first messaged me asking for a refund, I said I would refund as soon as I received the return. Didn't hear back. A couple weeks later, I messaged again. Didn't hear back. Then I see that they left me neutral feedback. When I messaged again, they finally responded saying they should've left negative feedback and not to message them again :angry:

Yup, plenty of muppets on Ebay who suddenly turn into blind muppets. Had this a few times :/

I just won something from eBay and paid for it and now the seller told me he isn't going to ship it to me because he doesn't like me. :emb:mg::wtf::box:EEK!

Seller is ultimately responsible for delivery of the item. If it is damaged in post or magically developed some imperfections during transit then seller has to file a claim and issue refund or issue partial refund if buyer accepts or accept refund including cost of return postage. No questions asked. If I was a seller I would do the same.