Fan Supported SteelBook Projects

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Hi folks! Recently a question was posed to me about seeing what you guys (the steelbook community) thought in general about a new initiative.

This being that members here as well as steelbook fans worldwide could potentially create their own steelbook design or steelbook mockups to be voted on by the consumer base in general.

Those highly voted projects, in turn, would be reviewed by a retailing team and then offered to the public to purchase.

If you are not familiar with the LEGO CUUSOO project, this is something that polls a community at large for new and exciting products that LEGO will potentially create if the project reaches 10,000 votes.

cuuso.jpg

What do you guys think? I know we've seen some pretty great mockups and even pretty great fan made editions by members here.

Is this something that you would be interested in, and also would this make you think about purchasing a steelbook?

Obviously details are to be discussed, but the potential of an empty steelbook or premium package has been mentioned to me - with catalog titles being one of the focuses of this effort.

I look forward to hearing any and all feedback - feel free to chime in! :naughty:

Last edited:
Yes! Please, I've seen so many amazing customs arts by US (and other communities) only to have some plain boring uninspired cover art.

Also, we wouldn't leave people hanging until the steelbook is in their hands to see what the back looks like, if there's inner art, any embossing/debossing, and finish type.

Reactions: gaeljet
This seems like a great idea! I know I've seen some concepts on here that I'd pay more than a regular price for, they are that good.

I also think that more community input would see more consumer trust in quality (finish etc.), rather than the current situation where people don't pre-order because they don't know if it'll be glossy or matte.

Yes-very good idea-a culmination of many things discussed for several years within the hidefninja.com community, and a nice way to help shape some new projects:scat:

Reactions: Marina Blue
now finally we are talking this is something i have been waiting for a consumer wanted steelbook product from start to finish and a proper collectable with a limited number.
you do realise now, though you have opened pandoras box :hilarious:
for me comes question number one.
Which film??? there are sooo many. :oohyeah:

Basil :LOL:

Great idea if every detail down to the finish can voted on and adhered to. Much better than the recent empire comps where you could have your prized artwork chosen only for it to be ruined by cost cutting measures.

Reactions: Basil
So could it potentially be like a fan fund as they do with artists who attempt to raise a argent for producing a record for instance. That could seriously be cool.

Might be good to promote the feedback area a little more, get the votes up more and get a table of 'most wanted' ;)

May I suggest True Romance :D

Neil it looks like we have our work cut out for us and I guess I'm back in for the long run. :scat:

Will be good to see you back Kel ;)

Just don't ask me to cut the things out this time :hilarious:

Last edited:
I don't know how this would work with all different studio's, and the stories I've heard about getting artwork approved, but ignoring that...

For me, it would depend where the steelbooks would be sold, as I only collect UK steelbooks, if they would be sold outside the UK then it wouldn't interest me.

Also I think the UK are releasing far too many catalog titles so I don't really want to encourage even more.

If it's basically a case of picking Zavvi's releases, choosing the artwork and not releasing extra catalog titles, then I would be for that... assuming the prices stay reasonable.

And despite not liking re-releasing titles in the same country, my first vote would go to bobafettish66's Incredible Hulk:

ehneaw.jpg

Inside art:
2z6c7wy.jpg

I think it's an absolutely brilliant idea! I'd prefer that they did this with every steelbook release to be honest. As collectors and the people that actually buy these products, we obviously know what we like/want, so it makes perfect sense to do it this way imo.

I haven't felt this excited about steelbooks in a long time! :oohyeah:

Reactions: jcm