Fan Supported SteelBook Projects

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Hi folks! Recently a question was posed to me about seeing what you guys (the steelbook community) thought in general about a new initiative.

This being that members here as well as steelbook fans worldwide could potentially create their own steelbook design or steelbook mockups to be voted on by the consumer base in general.

Those highly voted projects, in turn, would be reviewed by a retailing team and then offered to the public to purchase.

If you are not familiar with the LEGO CUUSOO project, this is something that polls a community at large for new and exciting products that LEGO will potentially create if the project reaches 10,000 votes.

cuuso.jpg

What do you guys think? I know we've seen some pretty great mockups and even pretty great fan made editions by members here.

Is this something that you would be interested in, and also would this make you think about purchasing a steelbook?

Obviously details are to be discussed, but the potential of an empty steelbook or premium package has been mentioned to me - with catalog titles being one of the focuses of this effort.

I look forward to hearing any and all feedback - feel free to chime in! :naughty:

Last edited:
Ohhhh yes! Great idea. This is just what this community is missing. Since a few days now I've been working on a steelbook design for a film and I've been thinking about how to get this done, I mean when I finish it, would there be chance for it to get real? And with this the answer is yes, there would be a chance. This is exactly what we need. :)

Just giving my honest opinion here: Unless this had the backing of one (or more) of the studios, I really wouldn't be interested. I spend enough on movies that I couldn't imagine spending money on empty steelbooks, especially for movies that the studio may never publish on blu-ray.
That said, I definitely prefer a lot of the artwork that the members here create compared to what the studios actually use. So if there were a way to make these studios recognize that we want (and would pay for) these awesome designs on steelbook, then I would totally get behind it.

I have bought 2 of the Lego sets and have seen some amazing ones that I hope come to fruition. It would be very cool for a "collector" to work with Scanavo directly in design and whatnot.

The problem with this idea (mostly because of Zavvi) is almost every popular movie has been released already in steel. I am willing to double dip but I am not sure about the entire community.

Also the only way I would buy one of these if the art work blew me away. I am talking completely original art work or something that hasn't been used at all yet.

The problem with this idea (mostly because of Zavvi) is almost every popular movie has been released already in steel. I am willing to double dip but I am not sure about the entire community.

Also the only way I would buy one of these if the art work blew me away. I am talking completely original art work or something that hasn't been used at all yet.

There's still plenty of opportunities for new Steelbooks :D

have to agree as well, there are literally hundreds of movies i would buy and never got a steel release anywhere yet.

I really like this idea, but I am worried that it's a bit of a pipe dream. It seems like there would be an awful lot of restrictions and hoop jumping to get ok from movie studios to actually produce anything. Not to mention exclusivity agreements etc. Still, fingers crossed that it can be made to work.

If a little independent horror filmmaker can do it, Wreck and HDN can do it, just like a Kickstarter project.

With great art/cover art and most importantly, a great title, full of extras and features, region-free, this will be a successful project.