Fan Supported SteelBook Projects

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
Hi folks! Recently a question was posed to me about seeing what you guys (the steelbook community) thought in general about a new initiative.

This being that members here as well as steelbook fans worldwide could potentially create their own steelbook design or steelbook mockups to be voted on by the consumer base in general.

Those highly voted projects, in turn, would be reviewed by a retailing team and then offered to the public to purchase.

If you are not familiar with the LEGO CUUSOO project, this is something that polls a community at large for new and exciting products that LEGO will potentially create if the project reaches 10,000 votes.

cuuso.jpg

What do you guys think? I know we've seen some pretty great mockups and even pretty great fan made editions by members here.

Is this something that you would be interested in, and also would this make you think about purchasing a steelbook?

Obviously details are to be discussed, but the potential of an empty steelbook or premium package has been mentioned to me - with catalog titles being one of the focuses of this effort.

I look forward to hearing any and all feedback - feel free to chime in! :naughty:

Last edited:
I know about the Lego CUUSOO project. That is how we got awesome Minecraft legos finally. :)

So how would this work and I guess if they were custom we would pay pretty high prices. Having to get them license to allow the artist to use the artwork. And then having to get them pressed, and then having to pay the artist, and shipping and handling.

I don't see these custom SB's being less the $45 each then. Taking into account everything that has to be done.
It is a interesting idea but would need a lot of start up and someone contacting all the studios. I'm poor so I couldn't get them anyway. lol

Great idea! if this got off the ground it would be a win win for both retailers & buyers. Lots of variants & obstacles to over come & if it pushed the costs up on steels I think most collectors could live with that knowing the art/ finish/ over all package is going to be top notch! maybe a collaboration with plain archive for example? New to steels & their 1st steel is a cracker!
Any retailer willing to look at & take this idea on would be as I said a win win for every one :oohyeah:

so apsmith is this going to happen at all??? or are we just know talking pipedream now as thread was opened up may last year now because at the current rate of progress not alot has happened in 9 months, other than odd bump this up the board.

tbh personally i would love a hdn designed steelbook but nothing has been disscussed about a film title yet, surely that would be step 1 if it is going to happen no?
and to be fair surley should come from steelbook feedback thread here with films with most votes like a top ten of those then let actual vote for one of those here in this thread for everyone to see no?

at least that would be some sort of starting point going forward if you see what i'm saying because at the moment doesn't feel like any real progress has being made so far.

all the best basil :thumbs:

Reactions: gregavfc
so apsmith is this going to happen at all??? or are we just know talking pipedream now as thread was opened up may last year now because at the current rate of progress not alot has happened in 9 months, other than odd bump this up the board.

tbh personally i would love a hdn designed steelbook but nothing has been disscussed about a film title yet, surely that would be step 1 if it is going to happen no?
and to be fair surley should come from steelbook feedback thread here with films with most votes like a top ten of those then let actual vote for one of those here in this thread for everyone to see no?

at least that would be some sort of starting point going forward if you see what i'm saying because at the moment doesn't feel like any real progress has being made so far.

all the best basil :thumbs:

I agree with everything you say, apart from that the feedback forum should be used for these projects.

The top 10 list is not a fair way of deciding this (if it happens) as each thread was created at different times meaning the older posts have time to receive more votes. It also represents the more 'hardcore' of the community who visit more sections than the main steelbook section.

If this was to happen, they'd need to be a poll or vote on this page or a separate one to level the playing field!

Reactions: Skog
I agree with everything you say, apart from that the feedback forum should be used for these projects.

The top 10 list is not a fair way of deciding this (if it happens) as each thread was created at different times meaning the older posts have time to receive more votes. It also represents the more 'hardcore' of the community who visit more sections than the main steelbook section.

If this was to happen, they'd need to be a poll or vote on this page or a separate one to level the playing field!

well even if that section isn't used the only absolute key no.1 thing to me is a film that has not been given the steelbook treatment before!

even if that comes down to fresh suggestions here then a vote from them and everyone only gets 1 vote only for there choice. to work out what it will be from a board point of view at least that becomes progress which is i feel where this could do with going.

also probably get more members actually envolved if they felt this could actually produce a fully finished exclusive limited edition very rare steelbook as well that couldn't get anywhere else on the planet, especially if was a decent film that had been overlooked in the past screaming out for this.
I'm mean common it isn't rocket science is it?
Hows that for a proper bit of ninja power!

basil :thumbs:

Reactions: gregavfc