Release date: July 22, 2019
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £29.99

12039779-5364680498964815.jpg

12039779-2014680499031421.jpg
12039779-9784680498790953.jpg
12039779-1264647860535837.jpg

Last edited:
oh i saw this last night in IMAX 3D and loved it! oh gosh, Alita CG just pure fantastic! her emotions, her acting, her movements, man, it was like she was a real person... oh, i love her (lol)... and while it wasn't the best movie ever but if you love good action film, oh, you're in for a treat, all action sequences are all spot on (and with expanded IMAX!!) so if you can, try to go with IMAX 3D
what worries me is, i'm afraid it'd be bombed on box office and per James Cameron, there won't be any sequel if it doesn't do good on box office... so everybody goes see it now (lol)!

The story is constant buildup/setup that exchanges plot payoff for action sequences and hopes most people won't care (those who crave complete story will be disappointed, those who love action should be thrilled) and many elements are surface level but everything else about the movie is such an accomplishment. The CGI is top-tier, the action is Wachowski's level, and the acting is great; particularly Alita. The positives totally outweigh the negatives for me, this is must-see.

There's a ton of lore that they setup/tease and I very much want to see this take on Alita explored deeper. Hope enough people see it so there are sequels.

Don't know much about this film at the time of writing but I do like the very uncommon name of the heroine Alita ...
... translated from Spanish as "little wing" or "little winged girl" and from other origins including The Bible as "high, excellent, noble, chosen one".
The meaning of the name seems most appropriate to the title and character ALITA: BATTLE ANGEL.

I feel like the movie would get more butts in seats if it didn't have Battle Angel in the title (most people I've chatted with are put off by it) but it's performing better than tracking suggested and has an A-(!) CinemaScore, meaning it should have strong word of mouth going into next weekend and hopefully a low box-office drop too.

Alita could be the catalyst for Anime finally breaking into mainstream America. Exciting!

Eager to see what FilmArena has in store for their edition, too.

I watched the anime again over the weekend, first time in over 20 years. I remember it being a lot better, that said, it was still decent but not surprised it isn't mentioned in the same ilk of other classics.

Going to try and watch this on Wednesday, fingers-crossed for it!

oh i saw this last night in IMAX 3D and loved it! oh gosh, Alita CG just pure fantastic! her emotions, her acting, her movements, man, it was like she was a real person... oh, i love her (lol)... and while it wasn't the best movie ever but if you love good action film, oh, you're in for a treat, all action sequences are all spot on (and with expanded IMAX!!) so if you can, try to go with IMAX 3D
what worries me is, i'm afraid it'd be bombed on box office and per James Cameron, there won't be any sequel if it doesn't do good on box office... so everybody goes see it now (lol)!
100% this ^ :thumbs:

• Thanks
Reactions: goufcustom
I went to watch this last night in 3D and the film is fantastic

I have this on order with Zavvi (blind order) but after watching the film I will be keeping my order and I will be looking to get a couple of premiums.

I hope that more people go to watch this as it is as good as people are saying and it is crying out for a sequel.:thumbs:

as far as i knew, majority of audiences loved it (f**k u RT) and many watched more that once... talked to my chinese friend yesterday and he said it's doing really really well there (earned RMB500M ~ $74M) hope it gets enough to make the sequel...

I won't get the chance to see this until it's released on Blu, and personally I can't wait... I think it looks fantastic!

The majority of negative reviews I've seen come from "critics", whilst the public mostly seem to love it. Good job critics' opinions mean naff all to me. :D

I won't get the chance to see this until it's released on Blu, and personally I can't wait... I think it looks fantastic!

The majority of negative reviews I've seen come from "critics", whilst the public mostly seem to love it. Good job critics' opinions mean naff all to me. :D

That's a shame you can't see it sooner, I've seen it twice in IMAX and the visuals are stunning. Weta Workshop did a great job as always. While it does have its flaws (mainly the PG-13 rating, at least for me), it's nothing major that would stop you from adding it to your collection. Overall I thought it was great and I hope they make a sequel.

That's a shame you can't see it sooner, I've seen it twice in IMAX and the visuals are stunning. Weta Workshop did a great job as always. While it does have its flaws (mainly the PG-13 rating, at least for me), it's nothing major that would stop you from adding it to your collection. Overall I thought it was great and I hope they make a sequel.
It's usually too much hassle and money for regular cinema trips unfortunately, so I'm lucky if I even get to go once a year... I always try and make the effort to go and see Star Wars though, since it's my fave. :drool:

I'm honestly not expecting it to be really brutal/violent, so hopefully the PG-13 rating shouldn't bother me. It's a movie I won't mind blind buying anyway, because it looks and sounds like a ton of fun! :D

It's usually too much hassle and money for regular cinema trips unfortunately, so I'm lucky if I even get to go once a year... I always try and make the effort to go and see Star Wars though, since it's my fave.
Same for me bro, I usually wait for it to come to BluRay or UHD now. I usually will go to IMAX once a year and the regular cinemas maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

• Thanks
Reactions: Noodles
Same for me bro, I usually wait for it to come to BluRay or UHD now. I usually will go to IMAX once a year and the regular cinemas maybe 2 or 3 times a year.
Travelling is a big issue for me, since I don't drive, so would have to catch a number of buses to get to the closest cinema. I've never actually been to an IMAX cinema before, as that's even further away (plus more expensive). Although, I'd love to experience it at least once!