Premium Supporter
Oct 20, 2012
Manchester, UK
Release date: June 8, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £14.99

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not the best steelbook, looks cheap with no gloss finish. Think I be sending this one back, and wait for the big price drop.

hmmm, so it looks very similar to the oz steelbooki had and sold in favour of the amaray with slipcase.
anybody have the old version? was that the same poor finish?

also, is the remaster enough of an improvement to warrant keeping this steelbook instead of the previous transfer?
I don't recall the old transfer being bad.

The reviews of this new 4K Remaster have this Blu-ray video as 5 Stars

The Steelbook itself is the same as previous European steelbooks
I have the previous same Dutch Steelbook and its the exact same as this Zavvi steelbook in terms of artwork and finish except the Dutch steelbook has the older Blu-ray Disc

Its worth getting this new Zavvi Steelbook or new French Steelbook release or the new Amaray Blu-ray 100% just for the new Blu-ray 4K transfer and new extra

I myself cancelled my order for the Zavvi Steelbook but I'm 100% going to get the Amaray Blu-ray or this steelbook for the new 4K transfer when prices drop

If you don't already have this on Blu-ray get the new 4K Remaster release

Last edited:
The reviews of this new 4K Remaster have this Blu-ray video as 5 Stars

The Steelbook itself is the same as previous European steelbooks
I have the previous same Dutch Steelbook and its the exact same as this Zavvi steelbook in terms of artwork and finish except the Dutch steelbook has the older Blu-ray Disc

Its worth getting this new Zavvi Steelbook or new French Steelbook release or the new Amaray Blu-ray 100% just for the new Blu-ray 4K transfer and new extra

I myself cancelled my order for the Zavvi Steelbook but I'm 100% going to get the Amaray Blu-ray or this steelbook for the new 4K transfer when prices drop

If you don't already have this on Blu-ray get the new 4K Remaster release

Thanks for the info Paul. Will probably open one of my French editions. I think my zavvi edition arrived today, but don't want to unpack until I have time. I love this film. I can watch it over and over. Never gets old. Fantasic acting all around. So many great actors in one film.

Forgot that this even arrived at the weekend and found it under a magazine lol
Which shows my disappointment, I was expecting much better from Universal, we usually get great SB's from them but this is on par with most of my North American Universal SB's (no offence to our NA cousins), it would have looked great with finish along the lines of Spinal Tap.
On a brighter note at least I got a digital copy which we didn't get on some of the previous catalog titles.

Ps. I did try taking some pics but they made it look better than it actually is :) which is not terrible but could have been so good.

Forgot that this even arrived at the weekend and found it under a magazine lol
Which shows my disappointment, I was expecting much better from Universal, we usually get great SB's from them but this is on par with most of my North American Universal SB's (no offence to our NA cousins), it would have looked great with finish along the lines of Spinal Tap.
On a brighter note at least I got a digital copy which we didn't get on some of the previous catalog titles.

Ps. I did try taking some pics but they made it look better than it actually is :) which is not terrible but could have been so good.

Yeah I thought it was pretty much assumed that all UK Universal steels had gloss finish - which meant automatic day one purchases for me in most cases - but this release changes things and their sales will probably drop now they're taking the cheap & nasty option.

By the way you do get a UV copy even with the new amaray release, which is what I'll get if I can return this as "not as described".

Yeah I thought it was pretty much assumed that all UK Universal steels had gloss finish - which meant automatic day one purchases for me in most cases - but this release changes things and their sales will probably drop now they're taking the cheap & nasty option.

By the way you do get a UV copy even with the new amaray release, which is what I'll get if I can return this as "not as described".
Yes the 20th anniversary Amaray Blu-ray comes with a UV Copy

I'm curious
? return what as not as described

This is the problem of today, everyone want's perfection, ie a perfect black glossy steelbook, unfortunately, after recent calamities with The Crow and Sleepy Hollow, the gloss that Scanavo are using is just a magnet for scratches and fingerprints which BLACK steelbooks in particular are very susceptible to, I'm sure I read in a thread regarding the THOR blufans release that scanavo tried to get Blufans to NOT opt for gloss for these very reasons.

My Crow steelbook looks like a Christmas tree when In the right light (it has since gone back)

I'm sure the number of returns is also having some impact as to the studios descisions to avoid such problems. I wish there was a gloss which was the same as what is used to treat the surface of Blu-ray discs, they are supposed to be scratch resistant, and that works.

As for the mockup picture of this, yes, it does imply that there is reflection, which could be indicative of a gloss finish, but it clearly doesn't say its gloss in the description. You could say the image is misleading though....

I'd order this if you have a chance. The picture quality in this remaster is far superior to the previous release!

Apollo 13 20th Anniversary Steelbook
View media item 18953
View media item 18954
View media item 18955
View media item 18956
View media item 18957
View media item 18961
View media item 18958
View media item 18959
View media item 18960

The 20th Anniversary Steelbook has the new 4K Remaster Blu-ray Disc
It also includes a new extra Apollo 13: 20 Years Later (HD, 11 minutes)

Note
There is a difference between the older Dutch Apollo 13 Steelbook and the New Apollo 13 20th Anniversary Steelbook
The Difference is the older Dutch Steelbook has a better matte satin finish that can look glossy at times

Photos Below Showing the Difference
20th Anniversary Steelbook on the Left Older Dutch Steelbook on the right
View media item 18964
View media item 18962
View media item 18963
20th Anniversary Steelbook
View media item 18966Older Dutch Steelbook
View media item 18965
The Older Dutch Steelbook has a better quality finish and better quality image used

The 20th Anniversary Blu-ray Disc itself the Video Quality is brilliant

My advice get the 20th Anniversary Amaray Blu-ray to have the 4K remaster Disc
If your looking to get a Steelbook get the older Dutch Steelbook but that has the older Blu-ray Disc

Best solution is get both the Dutch Steelbook and the New 20th Anniversary Amaray Blu-ray

If you already have the older Dutch Steelbook just get the 20th Anniversary Amaray Blu-ray for the 4K Remaster

The Older Dutch Steelbook has a better quality finish and better quality image used
The 20th Anniversary Blu-ray Disc itself the Video Quality is brilliant
My advice get the 20th Anniversary Amaray Blu-ray to have the 4K remaster Disc
If your looking to get a Steelbook get the older Dutch Steelbook but that has the older Blu-ray Disc

Best solution is get both the Dutch Steelbook and the New 20th Anniversary Amaray Blu-ray

If you already have the older Dutch Steelbook just get the 20th Anniversary Amaray Blu-ray for the 4K Remaster

That's what I recommended weeks ago :thumbs:

Steelbook looks identical to original release a few years back.

Disc is new content though with new transfer.

Not worth double dipping if you have original. Just wait for amaray of this to hit bargain bin and swap the discs.

The dutch version, does look better with the matte satin finish. I cannot believe Scanavo are blaming the scratches etc on the gloss paint. Surely this is down to the tooling and the handling of them not the paint?

Reactions: paulboland
Who should we blame for this inferior finish if not Zavvi?
20th anniversary
It's a universal studios release

Same Steelbook release in France and UK
The artwork and finish noting to do with Zavvi
They just have retailer exclusive for the UK
It's available from Amazon in France and Zavvi in the UK

Last edited: