Ask Wreck: SteelBooks Questions

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I dont know how long I will do this, or if people have questions ... but I'll check this thread daily in case people have questions about steelbooks etc. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability from what I am allowed to say in some cases or just info you may not have seen me drop before in past threads.

Last edited:
Once upon a time I asked in this very forum if unopened steelbooks had any issues with J cards and the "booger glue" that holds them to the steelbook damaging the finish. @Wreck seemed to think with a little care, this would not be an issue.
This is NOT about that issue - but rather a mystery. And a crappy discovery.
When I finally got around to opening my steelbook copy of CODENAME: UNCLE, I made a horrifying discovery. Something had happened to this steelbook. (99.9 % sure it was not my doing). But, sometimes I get a steelbook and immediately catalog it, without much thought - so it could have been this way since the day I got it...dunno.
But I have never seen this. The J card was stuck like it was welded on. The complete surface of every inch of the J CARD!
Like someone had taken wheat paste and stuck it on.
I thought I would share the story in pictures, as I tried to Save this steelbook.
It came out mostly unscathed. What a nightmare. (Used a credit card and goo gone, and a lot of time, patience - and letting the goo gone soak the paper).
6A74C5AB-B0DB-4C67-A622-48B189EDFB5E.jpeg

BEFORE:
228A4DC2-4F2E-44B8-9310-6610E1A96E44.jpeg
0B352257-1ACA-4209-A576-1BBBB85E6ACA.jpeg
469688CD-BE19-426E-966E-3F7EAB9E1228.jpeg
CA151628-E9CE-4A93-A004-E6C8E21D4EB2.jpeg
53AC0DB7-FB9C-42E3-8AC3-56ECC9CEEAAD.jpeg
C6FDBB1C-145D-44F5-AA0D-2449057C08D5.jpeg
92FD4CB3-FD14-4AE6-BBA5-9FEACC303D20.jpeg

AFTER:
04814D3A-64FD-4F75-B601-67E568A3B92A.jpeg
51B736D7-DCED-4851-9E79-F8D50323DC74.jpeg

Last edited:
thats odd, cause ive mentioned many times that the glue dots can be an issue. I've left marks on my steels many times cause of it. Its kinda hit and miss tho, but i think its more miss when you know how to deal with it before hand. if you know it has a glue dot and its been back there for a long time its best to heat the glue dot up first with like a hair dryer. That or , if you peel very slowly you can 75?% of the time succeed. Tho sometimes even if careful it can steel take a lil paint off steel.

I cant even tell whats going on with your steel. did it have just glue dots? or what are those runny lines? more glue?

edit: i see you said, with a little care, where as i thought you said without.

ive had indentions on ironpacks from security tab things presssed up against the steel. and ironpacks were thicker guage, cant imagine the steels that have sat for years if people have those.

thats odd, cause ive mentioned many times that the glue dots can be an issue. I've left marks on my steels many times cause of it. Its kinda hit and miss tho, but i think its more miss when you know how to deal with it before hand. if you know it has a glue dot and its been back there for a long time its best to heat the glue dot up first with like a hair dryer. That or , if you peel very slowly you can 75?% of the time succeed. Tho sometimes even if careful it can steel take a lil paint off steel.

I cant even tell whats going on with your steel. did it have just glue dots? or what are those runny lines? more glue?

edit: i see you said, with a little care, where as i thought you said without.

ive had indentions on ironpacks from security tab things presssed up against the steel. and ironpacks were thicker guage, cant imagine the steels that have sat for years if people have those.
This was not about glue dots! (I remember your tip about heating them up).
This was....something else. Weirdest thing I have ever seen on a steelbook. It's like someone spilled glue all over it before putting on the j card.

Hey @Wreck, back in the day there were (I think) 3 South African steelbook releases. The threads here don’t list out a retailer. I’m trying to compile a list of retailers, old and new, and was wondering if you had any info on (South) Africa.

Hey @Wreck, back in the day there were (I think) 3 South African steelbook releases. The threads here don’t list out a retailer. I’m trying to compile a list of retailers, old and new, and was wondering if you had any info on (South) Africa.
Havent kept up on anything South Africa in years. Maybe there are retailers now
But those releases turned out to simply be Uk editions .... imported and resold.

• Informative
Reactions: dfoles
Havent kept up on anything South Africa in years. Maybe there are retailers now
But those releases turned out to simply be Uk editions .... imported and resold.
That's good to know. I think either my Thor or Capt. America is from South Africa.

lol, I hope not.

If you get bored, could you look over this list and see if there are any glaring omissions?
Not sure what kind of retailers you want, but if you want to list ALL where you can buy movie steelbooks, for Germany are missing (at least):
media-dealer.de
bol.de
thalia.de
otto.de
buecher.de

and link for Müller is: https://www.mueller.de/multi-media/

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dfoles
Not sure what kind of retailers you want, but if you want to list ALL where you can buy movie steelbooks, for Germany are missing (at least):
media-dealer.de
bol.de
thalia.de
otto.de
buecher.de

and link for Müller is: https://www.mueller.de/multi-media/

Thanks! I’m trying to make a list of pretty much anywhere that carries Steelbooks. So if you’re a local in Blugaria who's just discovering this wonderful hobby, but you only see posts about Target, Best Buy, Zavvi, Blufans, etc and not where you can just go locally. It might be hard to include ALL retailers, like I probably won't list Walgreens just because they carried the Star Wars steelbooks like everywhere else in the world. But if they regularly stock steelbooks, then yeah.

• Thanks
Reactions: jonnybobbytimmy
Dear @Wreck,
Recently some Steelbooks with amazing embossing have featured artwork that crosses over onto the outer frame. Traditionally the embossing would've just connected to the frame, but these newer ones have a divide between the embossed artwork and the outer frame. Some examples I've personally picked up have been The Great Mouse Detective, Rescuers Down Under, and the Sharknado Collection. What's up with this new style, and is it going to be the norm going forward or are these just weird one offs?

Sincerely,
@dfoles

Hello,
Correct me if i'm wrong.Why don't we get steelbook edition of netflix show?

Big Mouth, Narcos,Stranger Things and many more...

@Wreck

Netflix would have to see the value in making a steelbook edition - I'd be interested to see how their physical media sales do in general.

There's likely not a lot of people that double or triple dip on a show that they can stream at any point.

• Thanks
Reactions: Genocide
Mostly cause the content is the perk and their ploy of having subscribers. Its only available through their service. Some netflix shows have had steels, or other collectible packaging but a lot of times its just to help further promote the show. ESPECIALLY if they see the value in popularity by putting it out to more people as to then make more money on the back end from licensing deals. example, keep pushing Stranger Things into the mainstream and then toy companies and shirt companies etc want to make licensed shirts and toys and they make money off that merch via licensing.

• Informative
Reactions: dfoles and Genocide
Mostly cause the content is the perk and their ploy of having subscribers. Its only available through their service. Some netflix shows have had steels, or other collectible packaging but a lot of times its just to help further promote the show. ESPECIALLY if they see the value in popularity by putting it out to more people as to then make more money on the back end from licensing deals. example, keep pushing Stranger Things into the mainstream and then toy companies and shirt companies etc want to make licensed shirts and toys and they make money off that merch via licensing.

They have normal blu ray release for most of the shows.That's why i don't get the "non steelbook treatment"