Ask Wreck: SteelBooks Questions

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I dont know how long I will do this, or if people have questions ... but I'll check this thread daily in case people have questions about steelbooks etc. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability from what I am allowed to say in some cases or just info you may not have seen me drop before in past threads.

Last edited:
Both. I was going back to my list I compiled and realized I have nothing for South or Central America
nothing for central, if so just mom and pops .... South America has some for Brazil and Argentina I cant think of them off the top of my head but they are out there cause I found some in my hunts long ago. They get very limited supply of WWA type stuff. Funny one recently was the spine of Infinity War saying 4k and it being a 3d edition there. Perfect case of using the case and discs more prominent for their region.

used to be fnac in brasil , now gone and they send to here.

livrariacultura.com.br/pages/nossas-lojas?utm_source=fnac&utm_medium=redirect

those stores carry steels.

and some online.

livrariacultura.com.br/busca?N=0&Ntt=steelbook

pretty much just USA steels.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dfoles
Quick question- if I were to remove paint/ink from a Steelbook in order to just make it a plain, bare steel steelbook.
Do you have an idea at what kind of agent I would use-?

I can confirm that neither paint thinner nor acetone work.
Help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Quick question- if I were to remove paint/ink from a Steelbook in order to just make it a plain, bare steel steelbook.
Do you have an idea at what kind of agent I would use-?

I can confirm that neither paint thinner nor acetone work.
Help would be greatly appreciated. :)
Probably much easier to just buy a sticker book and peel
Off sticker then use goo gone or lighter fluid to remove residue.

They use to sell blank g1s.

Other then the above. No recommendations

Reactions: FN-2187
Probably much easier to just buy a sticker book and peel
Off sticker then use goo gone or lighter fluid to remove residue.

They use to sell blank g1s.

Other then the above. No recommendations
Are stickerbooks blank Scanavo steels with stickers on top? I always assumed they were some cheap copy

Are stickerbooks blank Scanavo steels with stickers on top? I always assumed they were some cheap copy
Yeah and the best are transparent sticker ones. They dont stick out as much. Inglourous basterd and transformers trilogy are a great example of clear sticker ones. A lot of times they'll have the blu-banner printed and rest is just metal. Just depends. There are those new french ones that are black case only.

• Informative
In this case very much blank and bare metal to boot w/ a bunch of stickers & decals included for pimping . . . the film data to be found on the Mondo style translucent slip ... the only blank UK steelbook (so far) - the DVD sized FAST AND FURIOUS "Pimp My Ride" stickerbook from 2009 (UK):-
1550804214591.png
1550804635564.png

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Wreck

.... and after the only blank Blu-ray steelbook of G1 size we have the only 2 stickerbooks in the UK of G2 size where no DIY is required:-
1) THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURES OF ADELE BLANC-SEC
1550838771924.png
1550838722070.png

and
2) SOURCE CODE
1550839000808.png

Not forgetting the steelbooks that look like stickerbooks but aren't . . . including ZOOTROPOLIS:-
1550839324398.png

• Informative
There is a company called Scanavo. They market the SteelBook brand and also sell plastic cases of the sort. (The make the clear cases that Criterion uses in North America for example) G&M used to be the owner of SteelBook brand but they recently got bought out by another company like a year ago ... so whether that company became a parent company of G&M or the two merged I've not followed up on. In any regard, Scanavo if I remember right from a conference call owns the rights to the plastic inserts inside the case. So the two work hand in hand.

Scanavo works with those processing the steelbooks and they are all made in a few places. Denmark, China, and USA. Not exact, but pretty sure that is all the factories. So if you live in Europe your most likely seeing steelbooks made in Denmark. In fact most cases even say that on the back. So what this means is Steelbooks that HMV orders or Play order come from the same place.

so if you get a defective steel, its usually happens at the retail level in handling but that doesnt mean it couldnt have happened in transit or along the line of manufacturing. And then sometimes you get ones with paint chips etc that can be the cause of quality issues in regards to materials used in the first place.
Is there any updated listing of countries that produce Steelbooks?

Is there any updated listing of countries that produce Steelbooks?
no, that should be it still. I was told once the machines /tech etc cost upward of a million. So don't think they just spring up new factories etc often.

Well the Company whom does the manufacturing has 49 manufacturing facilities, & 6 distribution centers . I think the SteelBooks can only be made at a few plants. If still same as before then yes to your above.

Word on the street is Scanavo are closing up shop in around 10 years or so when the manufacturing plants are under water due to climate change. Can you confirm this with your sources?

Been searching around for tons of steelbooks of movies... I have a big list of movies I still need to find a steelbook for... Is there anything of a list that includes (nearly?) all of the movies that have received a steelbook? :p
Would be SUCH a great help... Some great movies out there where I can't seem to find a steelbook for right now!

Been searching around for tons of steelbooks of movies... I have a big list of movies I still need to find a steelbook for... Is there anything of a list that includes (nearly?) all of the movies that have received a steelbook? :p
Would be SUCH a great help... Some great movies out there where I can't seem to find a steelbook for right now!

Our main SteelBook board has every single blu-ray or 4k steelbook produced. While the search function works well, it can often bring up other editions not steelbook. You can hit a checkbox that says "This Forum Only" when searching the steelbook board thus helping you filter down better.

Another easy way is just type in your browser the .... movie name / steelbook / hi def ninja .......... google will pull up the corresponding thread. Point being since every steel is covered , if you get no result then that movie in steel doesnt exist.

lastly CLZ app is very good.

Reactions: WaxWeazle
Thanks!
It's surprising and a shame how many good ones haven't got any Steelbook while some horrendous movies have multiple... :p

Speaking to the powers that be pushing for Planes, Trains, and Automobiles ... I hear it opened a discussion for other titles of similar tastes , etc. Not sure if that meant old classics like Trading Places etc, or more so in regards to other holiday themed titles. I think a bit of the latter. Not sure if we will see any of that move so fast as this year, but I'm told it started a conversation about other classic like titles that have just kept being skipped on. As I was pushing for more of the holiday classics in steel. (in reference to Paramount) Take that for what it's worth....

Speaking to the powers that be pushing for Planes, Trains, and Automobiles ... I hear it opened a discussion for other titles of similar tastes , etc. Not sure if that meant old classics like Trading Places etc, or more so in regards to other holiday themed titles. I think a bit of the latter. Not sure if we will see any of that move so fast as this year, but I'm told it started a conversation about other classic like titles that have just kept being skipped on. As I was pushing for more of the holiday classics in steel. (in reference to Paramount) Take that for what it's worth....
I've got a list if they need ideas...