Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: December 5, 2018
Purchase link: Amazon IT
Price: €25.49

81+UWUEYDKL._SX385_.jpg

71OQGz8q-PL._SX385_.jpg

Last edited:
For whatever reason they now charge residents of California, USA tax.
Ok, first, there are probably more people on here that DONT live in California - you can often see where someone is in the details under there name :)

Second, it won’t be Zavvi(as much as it pains me to defend the cretins). The tax will be locally implied. This is something probably everyone here has dealt with ; import tax.
Sucks but it’s sadly the way of the world and likley getting worse with the likes of Trump and Brexit

Ok, first, there are probably more people on here that DONT live in California - you can often see where someone is in the details under there name :)

Second, it won’t be Zavvi(as much as it pains me to defend the cretins). The tax will be locally implied. This is something probably everyone here has dealt with ; import tax.
Sucks but it’s sadly the way of the world and likley getting worse with the likes of Trump and Brexit

The tax is added for buyers with a California address when you go to check out with Zavvi. It's just odd that it seems to be only for California and nowhere else in the US.

Reactions: JCC

California has a larger economy than the UK and a larger population than Canada. So, while most HDN users aren't trumpeting their location in California, I can assure you that there are more people on this forum from California than you think. Zavvi and its crappy customer service (plus the large percentage of damaged steelbooks I receive) have slowly been forcing me away from their site because it's so much hassle. Adding sales tax is the last straw. No other foreign retailer, not even Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de, add sales tax when I order from them.

It's not an import tax, it's a tax collected by Zavvi at the time of sale. So it's not what you think.

The tax is added for buyers with a California address when you go to check out with Zavvi. It's just odd that it seems to be only for California and nowhere else in the US.
California has a larger economy than the UK and a larger population than Canada. So, while most HDN users aren't trumpeting their location in California, I can assure you that there are more people on this forum from California than you think. Zavvi and its crappy customer service (plus the large percentage of damaged steelbooks I receive) have slowly been forcing me away from their site because it's so much hassle. Adding sales tax is the last straw. No other foreign retailer, not even Amazon.co.uk or Amazon.de, add sales tax when I order from them.

It's not an import tax, it's a tax collected by Zavvi at the time of sale. So it's not what you think.
Compared to the rest of the world and the other states within US, California would still only be a smaller percentage than you think, it’s logic. More people live outside of California than inside so it’s highly misguided to assume otherwise.
Not once did I compare or mention UK in my prior post either, so kindly don’t jump up at me over what you might think I said.

The sales tax will most certainly be implied from the state rather than Zavvi. The other companies you mention likely absorb that cost where as Zavvi are clearly passing it on to the customer.

I do agree with both of you that it’s unfair to pay more than others, for the same steelbook,, regardless of where you are located.
However, postage costs vary and have a similar effect on varying prices for everyone - I can’ be sure if it’s still the same, but I know Zavvi at least had low and flat rate postage, thus making them a great choice(price wise only) for those outside the UK who wish to import. Last I checked it was only a 99p!
But hey do suck with damage and their customer service is atrocious. Like you, i to have cut back drastically on the steels ordered from them. Used to get maybe 1/2 per week, so up to 6/8 a month, now it’s barely one a month.
Shame as they are the only regular steelbook retailer locally.

Compared to the rest of the world and the other states within US, California would still only be a smaller percentage than you think, it’s logic. More people live outside of California than inside so it’s highly misguided to assume otherwise.
Not once did I compare or mention UK in my prior post either, so kindly don’t jump up at me over what you might think I said.

The sales tax will most certainly be implied from the state rather than Zavvi. The other companies you mention likely absorb that cost where as Zavvi are clearly passing it on to the customer.

I do agree with both of you that it’s unfair to pay more than others, for the same steelbook,, regardless of where you are located.
However, postage costs vary and have a similar effect on varying prices for everyone - I can’ be sure if it’s still the same, but I know Zavvi at least had low and flat rate postage, thus making them a great choice(price wise only) for those outside the UK who wish to import. Last I checked it was only a 99p!
But hey do suck with damage and their customer service is atrocious. Like you, i to have cut back drastically on the steels ordered from them. Used to get maybe 1/2 per week, so up to 6/8 a month, now it’s barely one a month.
Shame as they are the only regular steelbook retailer locally.

Cool. And I didn't "jump up" at you. I think I pretty assuredly stated my opinion, it wasn't directed at you. I didn't know nor did I care where you were from. The fact that the majority of the people of the world don't live in CA doesn't negate my ability to call Zavvi out on its tax BS. But, why should you care? it's your right to ignore me.

They are charging 3.99 pounds for shipping. Not a whole lot, but not 99p. Their customer service has also now deleted my account because I try to get a refund for all of the damaged steelbooks that I receive from them. As if I'm wrong for trying to receive non-damaged goods for what I pay them. So forget them. Zavvi has the worst business practices of any company I've ever used repeatedly, besides eBay and Movie Pass.

I have loads I could say in reply but would rather steer this back on topic - as we agree Zavvi suck, why not get this copy? works out about £15 cheaper(whacked in a pre-order and will make up my mind on keeping it nearer release)
I can only assume its a WWA stel

I am in Illinois and had tax added when I was trying to purchase at Zavvi UK site today....first time it happened....so not restricted to California....

It would be good to get some explanation from @zavvi

I know a few years ago my contact at zavvi told me they had a warehouse in Chicago. I dont think they ship to usa customers that way, because of the receipt of product delay but if they did maybe that is why now usa tax. idk