Back to the Future Trilogy - 35th Anniversary (4K+2D Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Best Buy Exclusive) [USA]

Oct 18, 2018
Release date: October 20, 2020
Purchase links: Best Buy
Price: $69.99
Group buy: hosted by apsmith21

6423196_sa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Found this info on another site for the U.S. edition.

"Cheap matte finish with paint streaks visible." Also " matte finish and are not individually sealed."
If I'm not mistaken, the international steels have the exact same finish. Would've have been nice if the steels were satin at least, if not gloss, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Stygian
I believed title-less ones are WWA, FR was the odd ball, steelbooks without title not always be my preference (well I’m sure except @TheCollector86 :rofl: ) and too many people and i count that’s a big difference
Actually, I agree with you....which means that I will be getting the BB and have to do a steelbook swap and then sell the titleless steelbooks from the box. (I really don’t dig titleless 99% of the time)

Reactions: goufcustom
At least there are dividers between the steelbooks. Surprised that he thought the box would be different.
It has always appeared to basically be the same type of box that the VHS trilogy came in.

Don't understand why steelbooks would be packaged in cardboard, as opposed to either a bigger steel case (like Band of Brothers), or just including 4K discs and using one Steelbook case, like the Matrix trilogy.

Reminds me of my parent's sofa with a plastic cover in the '80s, or phone screen protectors that make the screen look dull, it just defeats the benefits of the underlying product.

Also, why aren't steelbooks the default packaging for home media now? If streaming is slowly taking market share, shouldn't physical media be stepping up to slow down the bleeding a little, making itself as attractive as possible? Not saying it'll prevent the inevitable, but at least go out looking beautiful.

/rant

So which version is Glossy? UK Zavvi?
Oddly enough, it looks like the French steels are the only ones that are glossy. The problem, though, is that the French text ruins the steels for me. I'm surprised the Best Buy steels aren't glossy. So disappointing. Steelbook.com indicates the European and Asian steels are matte just like the US steels.

Back to the Future │ France | SteelBook®

Back to the Future: The Ultimate Trilogy - 35th Anniversary | SteelBook®

Nevermind my previous post, It has been confirmed that the French steels are also matte. The info on steelbook.com is wrong. None of the Back to the Future steels will feature gloss finish. All 100% matte finish worldwide.

I was also hoping that the BB release will be the only one worldwide with gloss finish and debossed titles. Well, still the only version with (English) titles though...

Last edited:
For those interested
There is a 35th Anniversary updated and revised edition of The Back to the Future Ultimate Visual History Book

Thread link below

Here's an unboxing of the Blu-ray Hoverboard set and the 4K SteelBook set. It also includes his thoughts on the 4K upgrades including the HDR10 and Dolbyvision as well as the Atmos tracks.

The Hoverboard unboxing is first.

Both sets were provided to the reviewer by HDN.

The QC on this is absolutely horrendous. Got this for Christmas off my bro and finally opened it.
1st and 2nd movies, few deep scratches on the front, loads of tiny scratches on the back.
The 3rd movie is scratched to hell, deep, all over.

I don't even want it anymore. I'm tempted to just put all the 4K discs inside a modded HMV Japanese art steel.

The QC on this is absolutely horrendous. Got this for Christmas off my bro and finally opened it.
1st and 2nd movies, few deep scratches on the front, loads of tiny scratches on the back.
The 3rd movie is scratched to hell, deep, all over.

I don't even want it anymore. I'm tempted to just put all the 4K discs inside a modded HMV Japanese art steel.
That's a shame because these steels look nicer with the title.