Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

I liked this film when I saw it, so will definitely pick up a copy (if/when it's cheap anyway)

I liked this film when I saw it, so will definitely pick up a copy (if/when it's cheap anyway)
If you like Cage doing Cage in a super Cage-y way- this is great film. It should in no way be compared to the Ferrera movie. It is actually VERY Herzog! Two different movies in every way. I loved it. The long last shot and laugh at the end is gold...

I started watching this once, never finished ... but yeah man it was definitely different. I need to watch this again, it was pretty crazy intriguing.

I still like some Cage. I think he's got some good ones and then some stinkers.

I love this movie, Herzog and Cage. An excellent choice, I would buy "the original" too if they choosed to release it

I hope this gets good art, I was dreading/looking forward to this when it was first released but I was completely relieved by the time it was finished, one of Nic's best performances in recent years, it also works well as a double with Bringing Out The Dead (another deserving of a steel).
I don't know why they bothered with the 'Bad Lieutenant' part of the title, they should have dropped it as the two movies are very different and its kind of misleading because I really don't like the original.

As with a lot of SteelBook announcements just lately, I actually had to Google this to find out what it is! That's a good sign right there that such a title doesn't warrant the SteelBook treatment! It apparently had a budget of $25M, but only took $10M at the box office, making a $15M loss. Nothing like flogging a dead horse, Lionsgate!

It's also probably worth noting that the Amaray version is only £6 on Amazon.co.uk, so what makes Zavvi / Lionsgate feel that a £10 premium on top for a metal tin is going to make people want to buy this? This'll no doubt be an £8.99 special two weeks after release... Why even bother making it a SteelBook?

As with a lot of SteelBook announcements just lately, I actually had to Google this to find out what it is! That's a good sign right there that such a title doesn't warrant the SteelBook treatment! It apparently had a budget of $25M, but only took $10M at the box office, making a $15M loss. Nothing like flogging a dead horse, Lionsgate!

It's also probably worth noting that the Amaray version is only £6 on Amazon.co.uk, so what makes Zavvi / Lionsgate feel that a £10 premium on top for a metal tin is going to make people want to buy this? This'll no doubt be an £8.99 special two weeks after release... Why even bother making it a SteelBook?
Because Box office numbers have ZERO to do with the quality of a movie.
American Psycho was a loser at the Box Office too...and people are dying to get that steelbook.

HERE

fight club bombed. blade runner bombed. citizen kane bombed...and so on.

don't want to undermine your movie knowlege but if had to google this one..oh, well ....

i'm gonna get this one, nice to see so much love for the original. and grizzl man steel, wow. would get that day one !

Reactions: lolwut
don't want to undermine your movie knowlege but if had to google this one..oh, well ....
:LOL:
0_5aedf_de809817_M.gif

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: milky
As long as the art work isn't pony il get it.
Last great film for cage and kilmer?

Would love a steel for the orginal (or movie that shares the same with).

As long as the art work isn't pony il get it.
Last great film for cage and kilmer?

Would love a steel for the orginal (or movie that shares the same with).
Cage will be back. He's only doing sh*tty film to pay off his enormous tax bill he ran up in the last 20 years.
Many stories about this. He is definitely doing these crap movies en masse because of that.

Good movie and we'll acted by Nicolas cage but the orignal one remains the best in my opinion...

Good movie and we'll acted by Nicolas cage but the orignal one remains the best in my opinion...
Two totally different movies that should not be compared.
The story is this: Ed Pressman produced the original Bad Lieutenant. Years later- he is the producer of Port of Call New Orleans. Since he was the producer of the original Bad Lieutenant, he has the rights to use that title. He thinks that by slapping that title at the beginning of Port of Call New Orleans, he will get more eyeballs on that movie since the name Bad Lieutenant has name recognition within the zeitgeist.
The two films were never connected in any way. It was just a producer trying to take a shortcut to better Box office.
The latter movie is really just a film called Port of Call New Orleans.

Last edited:
Come on, Zavvi, pull your finger out and give us the artwork for 'Port of Call' and 'Adventureland' as well as the correct prices.
Thanks in advance

Unless this is a new master . . . it is to shift old discs that they can't shift in plastic cases ;)

Agree. Some people still don't get that Zavvi is a retailer. They don't make steelbooks, or decide which ones get made.

Yes but they do decide which ones they sell, and for a lot of their steelbooks they are really odd choices, it's as if they want a warehouse full of unsold stock of odd steelbook releases rather than picking the cream of the ones offered that are guaranteed sales